Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect when not on same network

Spotify Connect when not on same network

I just tried to play something in Spotify on my home iMac there was no sound.I then noticed that it was playing it on the work computer (Windows) via Spotify Connect. After clicking the Spotify Connect button and switching it to the local iMac, I got sound.

I thought that for Spotify Connect to work, you needed to be on the same network. Has this changed?

The machines definitely are not on the same network. I sometimes use a VPN to connect to the network at work when working from home but I was not connected to the VPN when this happened.

3 Replies

The worst thing is when you start playing music at home and then five minutes later, half way through a song, it suddenly goes quiet because it's now playing at your work computer.  You correct it by telling it to play at home and then whetever playlist you had is now replaced with the one you had at work.

It completely sucks and I've spent the last two weeks looking for an alternative to Spotify simply because of this.  The new desktop app is terrible and seems to be losing useful features daily (such as displaying the current track name on the task bar), but I can live with that as long as it gets the basic job of playing my music right.  Now it doesn't even do that.

Just a quick note to say I've cancelled my subscription over this issue.  I installed the latest version this morning hoping to see some improvement, but instead it's just another update to their 'awesome and highly requested' facebook integration.  Yay.  Now I can tell all my friends exactly what I'm listening to...  on the wrong computer, 15 miles away.

Suggested posts