Spotify Links "open.spotify" don't open in Desktop App OSX/Mac anymore

Solved!

Spotify Links "open.spotify" don't open in Desktop App OSX/Mac anymore

NikoPikoNiko
Regular

Premium Account

USA

Mac OS Mojave 

Seems like Spotify keeps pushing this issue aside because not enough people are complaining about it. I've actually seen a good amount of posts on the community boards about it but none of them seem to have gained traction with the powers that be, claiming its a non-issue and the post gets closed. I disagree, wholeheartedly.

Please bring this option back! I don't use the web player... ever. And, I don't want to now have to start copying and pasting the link into spotify app. Call me lazy. The advanced settings used to have the option to have links open in the desktop app. But that option has recently disappeared. Seems like a very obvious and useful feature, and just strange to suddenly remove that functionality. 

My friends and I are always trading spotify links via text and emails and it's incredibly frustrating that it now doesn't automatically open in the desktop app like it used to. If I say pretty please, with a link to cherry on top, would you consider this a legitimate issue? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution!

Peter

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this.

This seems to now be the expected behaviour of the app.

@NikoPikoNiko - we noticed you created an idea about this already - here's the link to it in case other users decide to vote for it.

Cheers guys!

PeterModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

View solution in original post

Mihail

Hey folks,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with the Community!

Just to clarify, users can still share their favorite Spotify tunes in such a way that the recipient has the option to choose whether or not to open them in the app. This is done when content is shared via the Spotify URI. This page explains how to find and share the URI.

If you'd like to have this option also for Spotify links, it's a good idea to +VOTE this idea and  subscribe to it, if you haven't already. We'll inform on any developments there, as soon as there are any. 

Hope this helps. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

53 Replies

astralnightmare
Visitor

tl;dr version

"It is an expected behavior of the app now. If it is not working, please perform a clean reinstall using these steps."

After being outraged as everyone else with the answer, I've searched for other solutions in the answers and in Google.

After finding all the most whimsical, creative and complex solutions for this matter, por pure laziness I chose to try the one offered and selected as solution. The answer in it self is scattered  throughout the replies, as the moderator could change his "marked as solved" answer to complete it.

I made a clean reinstall and... voilà!!! IT WORKED!! No add-on, workaround or miraculous solution needed.

Tested in Safari, Edge and Firefox, worked just fine.

Atchoo
Casual Listener

Doesn't work for me (macOS Big Sur/Safari).

For me, this is what happens with all spotify URL's:

- Safari is opening the web app in a new tab

- If I'm logged in to Spotify:

• playback starts immediately
  • dialog box opens with "Allow this web page to open Spotify?"
  • If I click "Allow", the Spotify desktop app opens and starts playback (again), regardless of the web app already playing.

- However, if I'm not logged in to Spotify in the browser, the same thing happens, just without the wild cacaphony of the same song playing with a 2 sec delay between. I still have to close the browser tab each time.

If this is "expected behavior", then my "expected behavior" is to never use Spotify again.

So please answer this straight:

1. Is it currently possible to open a Spotify (album, artist or song link, copied from the desktop app) link directly in the Spotify desktop app, while bypassing the web browser player completly (with no "Allow/Deny" prompt and no "double playing")?
  2. If not, are there any current plans to bring back that functionality? For clarification: it used to work that way up until quite recently. 
  3. Is there a (hidden or visible) setting to "Always open in Spotify", to eliminate the invasive, interferring and incredibly annoying Safari "Allow/Deny" prompt, along with the invasive, interferring and incredibly annoying web browser app?

Thanks in advance.

Andreas

Novy

Hey @Atchoo

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

Currently, there's no option to deactivate this "Allow/Deny" prompt. However, there shouldn't be any double playing, so we'd recommend creating a new thread for this specific issue.

Additionally, we don't have any info on that functionality coming back. We really appreciate your feedback regarding this and will make sure to pass it on to the right folks.

We'll be here if anything else comes up. 

Cheers.

NovyModerator

"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

rg38j_-1iftpm
Casual Listener
Has this been sorted yet - it's so **bleep** stupid it astounds me.

MattNosNos
Casual Listener

Spotify really neglects its problems. I would really like to know what they do on the spare time... It seems this service just gets worse over time. I wonder what those programmers really do on working hours...  

shto
Casual Listener

Hey guys,

Like many of you I have this problem – I receive a song link, and I have to copy and paste it in Spotify and queue or play the track myself.

I built an app that fixes this (among other things). The app has the option to "enhance copy" the current track information and that will include a spotify:// link that leads directly to the app.

It also includes one-click links for queueing the track and playing the track directly, operations which otherwise would take many clicks to perform. I've shared how it looks in an iMessage.

Enjoy! The app is free, but only works for macOS.

Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 8.13.43 AM.png

JoBwat

There is a way to get your browser to open the app using a userscript

User SomeOrdinaryDog shared one on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/spotify/comments/80cfkt/a_little_userscript_to_open_spotify_links_in_the/

Mihail

Hey folks,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with the Community!

Just to clarify, users can still share their favorite Spotify tunes in such a way that the recipient has the option to choose whether or not to open them in the app. This is done when content is shared via the Spotify URI. This page explains how to find and share the URI.

If you'd like to have this option also for Spotify links, it's a good idea to +VOTE this idea and  subscribe to it, if you haven't already. We'll inform on any developments there, as soon as there are any. 

Hope this helps. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

MihailModerator

“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.” - Keith Richards

TaTHEj
Composer
It doesn't show that options in the newest version of the app

aster17
Visitor

Hi Mihail

So i find that if I click on a url of the form: 
spotify://https://open.spotify.com/track/4effTONLQxmg77cBEqPl8k?si=MCIg4CK_RYCM-jd5QBi35A

The desktop app opens and it works as expected.

On the other hand if I click on one of the form:
spotify://spotify:track:4effTONLQxmg77cBEqPl8k

I get a prompt asking whether I want to open the link in the desktop app and it opens but does NOT navigate to the page for the track. It simply opens the app  (or brings it into focus if it is already open).

shto
Casual Listener

It's supposed to look like this:

spotify://track/4effTONLQxmg77cBEqPl8k

Hope this helps.

Mihail

Hey @aster17,

Thanks for reaching out.

The Spotify URI should bring up the respective song in the app. If you're still experiencing this issue, could you try logging out and back in to your account two times in a row? This prompts a resync with our servers. If that doesn't fix things, it's possible that some of the app files have gotten damaged. This is usually resolved by performing a clean reinstall using these steps. They are more thorough and make sure that no leftover files remain.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes.  

MihailModerator

“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.” - Keith Richards

namealreadyexis

Sharing the URI (apart from being an annoying UX) is not possible from the iOS app.

kingnat
Casual Listener
That doesn't help. That relies on everyone else to use URI's instead of
allowing us to tailor our own experience. I wouldn't even consider that MVP
for a good user experience.

fubeman
Casual Listener

Thanks Mihail, but sorry, this is not very useful. What most of here can not understand is why Spotify does not OR will not use Deep Linking as most other companies do (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.).  A URI is not the same. With a URI, a user has to COPY the URI, then open up Spotify (all manually of course), then go to the Search Box on Spotify, then PASTE the URI into the Search Box. This is about as useful as saying "Go to Spotify, type in your artist name and song title and hit SEARCH." With a Deep Link, all the user has to do is click on it. Period.

donraton
Visitor
So, it seems the Spotify didn't solved it, but I've found a Chrome extension called "Open in Spotify desktop client" and it solved my problem.

If you don't get the expected behaviour straight away on a Mac after you install the extension, you might type at the adress bar "spotify:" and hit enter, it will ask to open spotify links on the client and then it will work flawlessly.

quinn1138

This still doesn't work. It is very very frustrating. 

emptywalls13
Casual Listener

This is a terrible user experience. Cmon Spotify, you're better than this.

jorepstein1
Casual Listener

Ive been using this addon and it works pretty well for this

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/open-in-spotify-desktop/

mustard311
Casual Listener
Fix this!!!
SUGGESTED POSTS