Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify crashes instantly after login. Mac 10.8.4

Solved!

Spotify crashes instantly after login. Mac 10.8.4

=== START OF TEMPLATE ===

Description

I've just got a new Mac Mini and copied my old system (running 10.6.8) over to it using Time Machine. Spotify app crashes immediately after it asks for my username and password. After I've input my username and password nothing appears. I move my cursor down to the app icon and right click and it just says 'Application not responding', and the Force Quit option is there. Even after some time, there is no change.

I have tried rebooting, reinstalling the program (after downloading the latest version from your website), I went to delete various entries in the Library folder (I can't remember exactly what they were, but the two entries were listed on a help file somewhere) but the entries did not exist. I have tried with the login screen set with 'Remember me' checked and unchecked. What felt like luck, the app did start on two occassions (out of many) when 'Remember me' was left unchecked.

A more detailed description, using numbered steps

1. Deleted Spotify app

2. Went to removed entries from the Library - files did not exist

3. Rebooted

4. Reinstalled Spotify app using fresh download

5. Tried logging in with 'Remember me' checked and unchecked, fresh reboot inbetween each attempt

6. Gave up

7. Writing this...

What I expected to happen

To log in and listen to music

What actually happened

Login screen goes after I put in my details and then nothing...

My Operating System

OS 10.8.4, 10Gb ram

My Spotify version

Latest version - I downloaded it yesterday from your website.

My internet provider and country

Sky, UK

My username

chenderson

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

Apart from the login screen, nothing appears on my screen. No error codes, nothing. I can only move the cursor to the App icon in the dock, right click, and get the menu showing 'Appication not responding' & 'Force quit'.

=== END OF TEMPLATE ===

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@mottsawce wrote:

Hey Michael, I'm in the same boat as the original poster. My console is showing me this:

3/4/14 6:30:04.000 PM kernel[0]: Data/Stack execution not permitted: Spotify[pid 2878] at virtual address 0x2ca7000, protections were read-write

3/4/14 6:30:04.000 PM kernel[0]: Data/Stack execution not permitted: Spotify[pid 2878] at virtual address 0x3a0d000, protections were read-write

Anybody know what this means in regards to my spotify immediately crashing?

Try doing the following:

1. Download and install CCleaner

2. Start CCleaner

3. Click Tools

3. Look for Spotify and click Unistall.

4. Click Cleaner and review boxes checked as this will clean out files. Then click Run Cleaner

5. Click Tools

6. Click Repair Premissions

7. Click the hardrive Spotify was having a problem with.

8. Click Verify Disk Premissions

9. Click Repair Disk Premissions

10. Reboot

11. Reinstall Spotify

If your case is resolved, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button and add your kudos!

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Since you say the app did start once or twice, if you browse in the library folders now can you see those folders? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Does the Console show anything?

Hi Peter,

Yes, I can now see those folders - it was in fact my fault for not finding them earlier. I hadn't realised Mountain Lion hides the user Library folder (I thought they must have changed the structure compared to Snow Leopard), so looked in the system Library folder instead. Re-reading the help article I saw how to find the user Library. I have since deleted them as suggested in this article:

https://support.spotify.com/uk/learn-more/faq/#!/article/reinstallation-of-spotify

Rebooted, and reinstalled Spotify. Exactly the same still happens (crash after inputting my login details), and the folders re-appear in the library.

Hi Michael,

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean.

Hey Chucky, does your account login and play okay at play.spotify.com? Your account seems fine at our end so it shouldn't be anything account-based causing the problem.

Does Spotify work okay without Time Machine? Do you have access to another computer (e.g. at work/university) that you can try?

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

Hi Adam,

I'm able to login fine to play.spotify.com and listen to music via my browser on my new Mac Mini.

I'm not using Time Machine yet on my new computer, will be in a couple of days time.

The Spotify app works fine on my old laptop (running OS 10.6.8).

I'm having problems running the app on the new Mac Mini running OS 10.8.4 - it simply will not start.

Apart from the change in OS (and default apps which come with it) from the old laptop to the new Mac Mini, all other applications are exactly the same.

I have the same problem - still - I have had it for about 4 months. I don't mind most of the time I use mobile and Sonos mainly, but it is very annoying that the Spotify app doesn't seem to work with OSX.  I have reloaded, rebooted, cleared all spotify files from the library etc on a number of occassions and I have pretty much given up with it. However if there is any other solution I'd love to know.

James

Hey Michael, I'm in the same boat as the original poster. My console is showing me this:

3/4/14 6:30:04.000 PM kernel[0]: Data/Stack execution not permitted: Spotify[pid 2878] at virtual address 0x2ca7000, protections were read-write

3/4/14 6:30:04.000 PM kernel[0]: Data/Stack execution not permitted: Spotify[pid 2878] at virtual address 0x3a0d000, protections were read-write

Marked as solution

@mottsawce wrote:

Try doing the following:

1. Download and install CCleaner

2. Start CCleaner

3. Click Tools

3. Look for Spotify and click Unistall.

4. Click Cleaner and review boxes checked as this will clean out files. Then click Run Cleaner

5. Click Tools

6. Click Repair Premissions

7. Click the hardrive Spotify was having a problem with.

8. Click Verify Disk Premissions

9. Click Repair Disk Premissions

10. Reboot

11. Reinstall Spotify

If your case is resolved, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button and add your kudos!

Thank you Merik!!! That did it!!!

No problem! Glad I can help! 😄 If you ever need help again, don't hesitate to come back to the community! 🙂

Suggested posts