Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify crashes while trying to load, won't open (Mac OS)

Spotify crashes while trying to load, won't open (Mac OS)

This issue only started happening a few days ago but whenever I try to open the Spotify app on my desktop it crashes before it has time to open. Tried opening it with no other applications running but no luck.

I'm running Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 on a late 2017 Macbook pro. There seemed to be a couple of other threads where this happened but I followed all the suggestions (I listed them below) and nothing has worked.

Would love to solve because I can't listen to Spotify anymore so any help greatly appreciated!

Solutions tried that didn't work:

One:

1. Click Spotify in the menu bar then Quit Spotify.
  2. Open Finder then click Go > Library in the menu bar. (You may need to hold the Alt key if Library isn’t visible).
  3. Open Caches and delete the com.spotify.Client folder.
  4. Click the back arrow.
  5. Open Application Support and delete the Spotify folder.
  6. Download and install Spotify.

Two:

Switchting wifi off while opening and then turning on

Three:

System Preferences->Security/Privacy->Privacy->Accessibility->Unlock->Plus sign->Applications->Spotify->Done

6 Replies

Hi there!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? Sorry if this may sound a bit repetitive but if that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app by following these steps.

If possible could you try disabling Hardware Acceleration which can be found in the Spotify submenu in your Menu Bar?

Please make sure you have the latest updates installed, the latest macOS version is macOS Mojave 10.14.2 and the latest Spotify version for Mac is 1.0.96

I’d also recommend to create a new user account on your Mac and install Spotify there to see if that helps 🙂

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

I have the same problem and tried the three solutions you stated and it didn't work. I also tried to disable the hardware acceleration but I could not do it as Spotify crashes right after it opens immediately. 

Hey @prostheticc,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

Could you share your device model and iOS version? 

Are you able to open the web player?

It'll be very helpful if you could prepare a short screen recording of the issue, so we can better understand what is going on on your end.

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

My device is MacBook Air macOS Monterey version 12.5 and yes I am able to access the web player, I have already reported my problem to Spotify support and they said they will look further into it but I unfortunately have not heard back from them. 

I would like to send a screen record of what happens when I open the Spotify app but I don't know how 😕 

basically what happens when I open Spotify is that the app screen is black for a few seconds and then the app crashes. 

Hey @prostheticc,

Thanks for the reply.

If you've already contacted our support team, we advise you to wait for their reply.

In the meantime we advise you to keep the app up to date, as this may also be a one off issue on the current version. What's the current version you've installed?

On the screen recording - you can upload it to YouTube or Google Drive and send us a link to it.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

If you experience a sudden glitch in Spotify followed by the “Application not responding” message, perform a clean reinstall of the client. It can be due to an overloaded cache.

Regards,

Suggested posts