Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify freezing on latest release? Report it here.

Solved!

Spotify freezing on latest release? Report it here.

Hey everyone,

As we're rolling out a new release of Spotify for desktops - v0.8.4 - we're keen to stay on top of any bugs that may have crept in while we weren't looking. We hate bugs.

So if you're having problems please use the following template to report them in this thread. This will help our top tech boffins investigate the issue. And then we'll be able to whip out the bugspray.

Don't forget to try a reinstall first! So make sure you're on 0.8.4 before reporting this to us (check under Spotify > About Spotify)

=== START OF TEMPLATE ===

Description

When and where the crashing or freezing occurs

OSX Version

eg. Macbook Pro running OS X 10.5.8

Did a reinstall help?

Yes/No

Has anything else helped at all?

eg. turning off gapless playback made it crash less often, etc.

NB: Attach screenshots if possible and you're getting any messages/pop-ups.

=== END OF TEMPLATE ===

Thanks for helping us make Spotify the best it can be.

Update: We pushed a fix to the most recent version of Spotify. So please try redownloading from www.spotify.com/download before reporting any issues.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips
250 Replies

Since the Spotify Support team doesn't respond to emails or twitter requests for help, here is what FINALLY worked for me:

My macbook pro (10.6.8) was freezing up completely every time I opened Spotify. It would let me open the program, but if I tried to open any playlists or navigate within the application, that was when it would freeze everything up. I discovered that I could QUICKLY use the toolbar. Of course I tried the uninstall/reinstall first (didn't work). 

My husband's macbook runs Mountain Lion so I logged in on his and my account worked fine. I guess the quick fix would be just to upgrade to Mountain Lion, right? That's what he suggested, he being in IT and all. 

I'm not ready to upgrade just yet (I WILL, I PROMISE!) so the FIX THAT WORKED FOR ME WAS:

--Turn it on PRIVATE SESSION

Solved the freezing up problem (for now). I will report back to let you know if it was a quirk or it fixed it for good. I could care less about the social sharing aspect of this service. I just want to listen to music so I don't care about turning it to private session, but I understand why that might frustrate other people who enjoy sharing what they listen to with friends. 

My 0.8.5.1333.g822e0de8 Spotify on Apple OSX 10.6.8 on my 2010 Macbook Pro is simply not playing anything. All my playlists are visible and when I try to play a track the transport slider indicates the track is streaming but no sound. All sound settings are correct on the Mac. If I start iTunes or play music files through quicktime player everything plays fine.

Have reinstalled Spotify to no avail. No improvement at all. 

Have tried the Private Session idea from this thread, again with no improvement.

Can stream through the home's Sonos devices and my iPhone Spotify app, but most of my listening is in the study on my computer. Very frustrated with this poor service. Having said goodbye to Napster after their infrastructure problems and major service outages a couple of years ago - I'm afraid I'm close to saying goodbye to Spotify too.

Hopefully a fix shortly (as I can see evidence of the enginers patching the Spotify app and pushing updates out, so it seems obvious that there are known issues)....

Marked as solution

SUCCESSFUL SOLUTION:

I went through the re-install routine again, as per Spotify web advice.

First time I could not find the two folders in Cache and Application Support to delete. Turns out I was looking in HDD rather than my home account. Found them this time and deleted them. Put Spotify app in Trash, reinstalled from .dmg...

Now enjoying Spotify again.

🙂

Description

As soon as I start playing any song, I get a beachball and spotify becomes totally unresponsive.

OSX Version

Mac Pro running 10.6.8

Did a reinstall help?

Nope, also deleted Spotify folders in ~/Library/Caches and ~/Library/ApplicationSupport.

Haven't found anything yet. BTW, Spotify working fine with my account on a Mountain Lion machine.

Spotify version: 0.8.5.1333.g822e0de8

Spotify version:

0.8.5.1333.g822e0de8

Description

Crashing does not happen straight away - it usually happens after a while of playing music. At some random point of the day the music will stop. At thsi point Spotify has crashed. I cannot stop, quit or even force quit spotify but the rest of the computer APPEARS to still be working. However, over the next few minutes the whole mac stops. I can initially close browser tabs, but cannot quit any programmes. Very soon OSX itself crashes (beach ball over the menu bar) and then a minute or so later, nothing moves. The restart option appears on the screen if you try to quit the machine, but the restart fails too. The only option is to kill the computer entirely and reboot. I've done this COUNTLESS times.

I have already attempted the reinstall to no avail

It seems that the Spotify crash then creates a cascade into OSX and I have seen elsewhere suggestions that this creates some sort of error loop in OSX itself

OSX Version

Macbook Pro running OS X 10.7.5

Did a reinstall help?

No

I have tried turning off local files and also removed high quality playback

Description

Freezes when i start Spotify.
Just stops at "Initializing" and the loading "thing" dosn't move at all.
And it say's that "Appplication Not Responding"
Need to "Force Quit" to close Spotify.
It open after a few minutes but still very low and freezing (beachball) when i click

OSX Version

MacBook Pro 13'' 2011 - OSX 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion)

Did a reinstall help?

It worked just one time yeterday, but now it's freezing again.

EDIT: Turn it on private session fixes the crash (for now)

Description

Song will just stop. I can change song but that song won't load or show times. Adds still work. Has trouble finding things in search. I tried closing the window and quitting spotifiy but with no help.

OSX Version

Macbook Air running OS X 10.8.2

Did a reinstall help?

No help

turning the modem off then back on helped for 1 1/2 days but now back to the problem. turned off local files like i was recommend to do. that only work until next day.

I have been extremely unhappy with my Spotify service lately... Almost unusable.

Hi there, I am writing to say that recently I started to experience some troubleshooting while logging into spotify!

I did re-install it and it worked, but as soon I closed the software I could not open it again! I am on a Imac 10.5.8 Desktop.

Please I need some help!

Description

When starting up - continually states "in offline mode...", streams freeze both in playlists and searches

OSX Version

iMac running OSX 10.8.2

Did a reinstall help?

No

No

No messages / popups - just freezes

=== END OF TEMPLATE ===

Not sure if this will add details to my previous posting or not, but here goes.

I spoke to Apple Care and did three things that seem to have resolved the issues (temporarily at least).

1. I uninstalled Sophos Antivirus which was running - I don't actually believe the "we never get any viruses" mantra, but there's obviously a compatibility issue.

2. Cleared the RAM

3. I ran a disk repair process which picked up on a number of issues, possibly small ones, but there nonetheless

Spotify and other music streaming sites (that also seemed to crash my computer when I started using them more after quitting Spotify as my main music source) now seem to be running OK

Description

It freezes and again and again and again and its getting pretty F***TAP solve the problem pleaseeee

OSX Version

Macbook Pro running OS X 10.7.5

Did a reinstall help?

Neeiin 

No, No, No, No.. uhm No 

I pay 10 bugs every 19th, I know a **bleep** who can solve the problem for 10 bugs, now why is it that Spotify, which getting millions, cant 

Description

playing albums are fines until an advert is played at which point my software freezes - can not click on buttons, minise etc. i am forced to shut down program

OSX Version

OSx 10.8.2

Did a reinstall help?

No

Description

Any time I have used it in the past 24 hours... song do not play through, lots of skipping

OSX Version

I mac, 10.6.8

Did a reinstall help?

no

tried turining off local files... no luck

When the new spotify is installed the application crashes and will not restart for an unknown reason.  I am using a Macbook Pro running on OSX.  Any help would be appreciated!!

Description

The same problem as the previous one has. Everytime I open Spotify it crashes immediately. Ever since updated to version 0.8.8.334.

OSX Version

Macbook running OS X 10.5.8

Did a reinstall help?

No

Since the program refuses to open, there hasn't been anything that helped. I reinstalled several times without better results.

New update (0.8.8.334) crashes immediately after opening Spotify. Running OSX 10.5.8, 2009 White Macbook 13". Previous version works fine.

------------

Music is the best invention. Ever!

@magnussolaas wrote:

New update (0.8.8.334) crashes immediately after opening Spotify. Running OSX 10.5.8, 2009 White Macbook 13". Previous version works fine.

Mac OS X 10.5 is no longer supported starting from v0.8.8+, have a read at this announcement.

I am not sure what the plans for an "unupdated client" are, if I was you I would get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form and ask them!

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Spotify constantly hangs itself up to a frequency that it has become entirely unusable.

Windows 8 64bit, Spotify-premium

Right at the very start of booting spotify, it freezes while connecting to the network. I can't even play a song, yet browse for artists without having it hang itself up completely.

It also appears that most of my friends are now displayed as numbers rather than names.

I force-quit the application through windows, try to reboot it and receive the error message: UNABLE TO INITIALIZE THE STORAGE OF TEMPORARY FILES

great! So the only choice I have now is to reinstall it. However, it appears that I can't even do that without going into Windows-safe-mode and delete everything manually, and also cleaning the registry. I have to go into safe-mode since deleting the AppData manually doesn't work since apparantely spotify is "currently being used".

Well, even after rebooting my PC and deleting every-single trace of spotify from my harddrive, it still freezes before even playing a single song.

It doesn't make sense and frankly annoys me to hell. It also happened after I payed for my premium-membership. Well, needless to say, I won't do the mistake again of giving money to something that doesn't work.

Hey guys 🙂 

Just heard back, there is a legacy application available for Mac OS X 10.5 users.

Please only use this client if you are using Mac OS X 10.5! 

You just need to uninstall the current client and then download and install the legacy one from here.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts