Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify unable to QUIT.

Spotify unable to QUIT.

I'm on a Mac.

I try to quit the application, it restarts.

I FORCE QUIT it, it restarts.

I go into Preferences, change the 'Open Spotify automatically after you log into the computer' option to NO then Quit it, it restarts. I check the 'Open Spotify automatically after you log into the computer' option again. It's auto-selected MINIMIZED, completely disregarding any change I've made. 

I redo the previous action again then restart my machine. It won't let me because Spotify is still running and won't Quit. So I push the Off Switch, wait a little while then restart my machine. Spotify restarts. 

In effect the Spotify app is now malware. Great job.

I require your assistance to help me get this piece of ---- off my machine forever.  

13 Replies

I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem. That's really weird. 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

The same - OSX 10.10.2, mbp mid 2010

Same here OS X v10.10.2

Thru the miracle of some incredibly speedy mouse movement I was able to QUIT the dekstop app and move the Application into Trash before it restarted again half a second later. 

But hey, I guess since only 3 users have identified it as an issue it doesn't rank serious enough to investigate.

Thank god I've reinstalled 0.9.15.27 on my desktop and disabled updating. I intend to future proof it against all other crappy updates by testing any new ones on my macbook first.

For the record I'm not against change. Just bad change, and this one's horrendous.

Thanks for that tidbit of a tip because I was able to "trash" the app.  Had to move the Applications folder close to the app when I forced quit.

Again THANKS!

How did you disable updating?

same here: spotify is quitting and then automatically restarts. OS X 10.10.2 on MBP 13 (Late 2011)

Please Fix!

I think that could be related to tmux and tmux powerline in my case. There
were script that read actually playing song. After disabling it everything
was allright.

Best regards
Mateusz

Thank you! That was the hint I needed - I hat a script running in geek tool displaying the current song. No more starts after disabling 🙂

I had the same problem until I read this and realized Skip Tunes was keeping it open. Thanks.

Yeap, SkipTunes is the problem.

Me too, I am sick of it, now just want rid of it

Hi,

You just need to goto system preference and goto user&groups.  You goto login items tab for your id and you will see Spotify in the list.  click on '_' sign to remove it.  You don't see it on screen shot as I have removed mine.

Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 1.57.08 pm.png

Suggested posts