Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Any improvement in last four years?

Any improvement in last four years?

I'm still using the fast and problem-free v0.9.15.27 client from 2014. Do the latest clients approach its speed or are they still a dog's breakfast when it comes to performance and handling local files?

13 Replies

Hey @NeilN,

Spotify is working great for me personally. It's highly recommended that you stay up-to-date in order to receieve the best experience and support with Spotify.

Thanks!

Any main diffs between your older version and the New ones? As far as staying up to date, there ARE too many updates too frequently, if we do get a decent build it's gone in a matter of days!

@user-removedIt's highly recommended that you stay up-to-date in order to receieve the best experience and support with Spotify.

Anyone who's been around for more than a couple years knows that staying up to date "in order to receive the best experience" is a total joke. Have you actually used pre-1.0 versions and/or have a fairly large library of local tracks?

@DennyEMufc wrote:

Any main diffs between your older version and the New ones? As far as staying up to date, there ARE too many updates too frequently, if we do get a decent build it's gone in a matter of days!

Any discovery (genres, moods, discover playlists) and social functions don't work. The basic stuff that Spotify should get right - playlists, navigation through the catalog, integration of local files - is fast and seamless. For example, loading a thousand track playlist consisting of both local and streamed tracks is instantaneous.

Looking through the old versions I can't see the actual build you mention, are you sure it's the right numbers? 091413 Is close to it?

Just found it, does it let you change the offline cache location? I need that! Does it still have STARRED tracks option? Thanks

It's 0.9.15.27.g87efe634.   I thinks it's the last version before they converted to a web-based framework and tossed speed and functionality out the window.

@DennyEMufc wrote:

Just found it, does it let you change the offline cache location? I need that! Does it still have STARRED tracks option? Thanks

Starring does not work. v0.85 had that but they broke playlist syncing last year (changes to playlists would only occur on the PC) so I had to upgrade. Yes, you can specify the cache location.

By the way, if all you're looking for is to change your cache location, have you considered creating a junction in Explorer?

Awesome, I will deffo Try it out, I did Try an older version (not this one) but when u changed cache it changed back again the next time you opened it? This version definitely holds the location you pick?

It's a must yes but the older versions we're less RAM hungry and more responsive, so I'd love to get that back!

I just changed the cache location, exited, and re-opened and the cache location stuck. Don't forget to block auto-updates if you "upgrade" to the four year old version. And keep in mind what is broken. If I want to access those features, I just use my tablet/mobile and set it to play through the desktop client.

Thanks for that, I will swap it out soon!

Suggested posts