Free

Country

USA

Device

Desktop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I just downloaded Spotify on my pc, and whenever I try to login it says "A firewall may be blocking Spotify. Please update your firewall to allow Spotify. Additionally, you could try changing the currently used proxy settings. error code: auth:3) PLEASE HELP ME I NEED TO STUDY FOR FINALS AND I DONT HAVE MUSIC!!!!

spotify screenshot.JPG
15 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Cant login to account

Hey there @jacksoh

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here! 

We're currently aware of an issue causing the behavior you describe. We suggest you go to this Ongoing Issue and add your vote to it by clicking on the +VOTE

It'll also be useful to subscribe via the three-dots menu in the top right corner next to the title. That'll make sure you stay up to date with any relevant updates about this.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions. 

IvanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
“Music is the strongest form of magic.” Marilyn Manson
Highlighted

Possible Solution

Regular

I figured out how to fix the problem. Somebody on your computer possibly tried to change the Spotify host permission on Windows 10. The possible fix if you are on Windows 10, press the Windows button. Then search for Run. Then type this in on the box

%SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc

then you are going to find hosts.Capture.PNG

Double click on it, and then its going to ask what to open it with. You can use any text editor, in this case I'm going to use Notepad.Capture2.PNG

Then when you open it, if you find any text that is related to Spotify, delete it. In my screenshot, I put an example config text, but if there is ANY text that has 0.0.0.0 in front of it, delete it, because it means to block it from the network.Capture3.PNG

Then save it as nothing, NO EXTENSIONS. Capture4.PNG

then its going to prompt to save it on a different location. You can save it to your desktop for convenience. Then when its saved open your desktop file and make sure you have view file extension. Capture6.PNG

its going to ask if you are sure to delete the file extension, press YES.

then move the file back to this location:

%SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc

Then a prompt will ask if you want to replace the file, press Replace File on Location. Then make sure its saved, and You are done. try restarting Spotify and log in. I hope this helps 🙂

Highlighted

Hi,

I also got the same issue : "auth:3" which is different error than the issue you ask us to vote on.

In addition we are using Windows (10, for me).

I also tried all the workarounds suggested on the other issue, whith no success.

Guessed also that the issue was linked to my facebook account, so I tried to build a free account from an e-mail but I get exactly the same problem.

Could you please support ?

kind regards,

2020-04-10 18_59_23-Spotify.png
Highlighted

Hey there @11125510616

Thanks for jumping in to the thread. 

You can still give your vote on the Ongoing Issue page in question. The number included in the error message shows up as different to many users, but we're still investigating this issue as firewall-related. 

That's why you can feel free to contribute to this thread as you're experiencing the same issue. 

Hope this helps. We'll be here in case you need any further help with this. 

IvanModerator
“Music is the strongest form of magic.” Marilyn Manson
Highlighted

Re: Possible Solution

Visitor

Thanks man! It solved my issue!

Highlighted

why did i have to search so long through these useless responses from spotify, when this random user has the exact solution written up so well, thank you kind sir
Highlighted

Casual Listener

Hi there, just posting on this forum for the equivalent solution on Mac. 

Open Finder 

In the Menu Bar select Go and then 'Go to Folder' 

Enter: /private/etc/hosts

Locate the file called 'host' and drag to desktop 

Open the file and replace the text with: 

##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost

Save the file

Copy this back into the /private/etc/hosts location and select 'replace' when the conformation shows. 

Restart/Reinstall Spotify 

Highlighted

Hey @iNick1,

Thanks for posting this here in the Community.

As a heads-up, we have an Help Board section focused on the Mac desktop area and it'd be awesome if you'd contribute to it by clicking here in case you have any questions or solutions for all our Mac desktop users 🙂 

Hope you'll find this info useful. Don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything we can help with.

Have a nice (and a safe) day!

MarioModerator
"There's more to living than only surviving." - Dexter Holland
Highlighted

Visitor

I didn't have the extension how can do it? 

SUGGESTED POSTS