Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Daily/Discover Playlists Pointless if you have young children!

Daily/Discover Playlists Pointless if you have young children!

So, I have Spotify, I pay for a family plan for my partner and older child.   We also have two younger children.  Too young for their own devices & accounts, but - as you would expect - demand the same playlists over, and over, and over.....

This has resulted in my Discover Weekly / Daily Mixes being basically a stream of songs from kids films, musicals, and such.  Not really what I want on my commute, and really reduces the value of Spotify for me, to the point that it's making me consider alternative solutions.

Spotify Help/Chat recommended that I go through Daily Mixes and hit the 'No Entry' sign over and over again.  I was doubtful, but did this for a couple of minutes, but... it makes no real difference, as you might expect - the input to the algorithm remains the same listening history, and thus it'll find other god-awful tracks from the catalogue to hurl at my ears.

This doesn't seem that difficult to solve, an option to exclude certain playlists from recommendations would do it, as would something similar to 'Private Session' which excluded the tracks from my played history for purposes of recommendations.

Music discovery is supposedly Spotifys thing, but it's totally failing for what must be a common use-case among a key customer segment.  At the moment, I'm tetering on cancelling my subscription and giving an alternative a go.  It'd mean a Philips Spotify connect device becoming unusable, but that's relatively easily/cheaply solved.

Does anyone have a method that works?

1 Reply

Hey @Gicarey, welcome to the community!

Staying young at heart, as Sinatra sang, is the key to a long life, but I understand where you're coming from.

Right now, the Spotify app does have a Private Session you can use anytime to exclude songs from your history and the algorythm that creates personalized playlists.

However, the best I can think of is squeezing every cent out of your Family plan. Try creating a fourth account using an alternate email, and link it to your Family plan. You can leave this account logged into a tablet or any device you use to play music for the young'uns.

This way, you don't have to remember to switch to a Private Session every time they want to listen to something.

About the Daily Mix, right now these playlists are only shuffled every 8 hours, so the changes you make aren't visible right away. They're  fully updated every week, the same as Discover Weekly. In this case, it could take a few weeks to see any changes.

Fingers crossed this'll help and keep you from going to a different service.

All the best.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”
― Maria Augusta von Trapp

Suggested posts