Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How can I keep this from automatically starting up??

Solved!

How can I keep this from automatically starting up??

I just installed this and it starts up automatically and i would rather it not, because it also does not shut down when i am trying to close my computer.  how do i do this????  thankis

67 Replies

Exact same issue on Win7X32

Another +1 for this.

Windows 7 x64.

Spotify seems to 'forget' that I specified 'don't open automatically' every time I restart.

This is potentially connected to the process of upgrading - I've noticed it only seems to happen when spotify upgrades automatically between restarts.

I'd like to think this is a bug rather than intentional / forced behaviour. It's frustrating that this issue seems to be ignored by the developers/support; I've spent a fair bit of time reading about this and clearly many people are having the same issues.

Posting Soluto screenshot

http://i.imgur.com/lKyCpoF.png

MSConfig(s)

http://i.imgur.com/FSZuDZD.png

http://i.imgur.com/9IUplZd.png

update 8 May

Opened a ticket @ Soluto

update 13 May

Ticket is closed solution was to uninstall Soluto.

It's a known error.

For customers that don't use Soluto the only solution is renaming the shortcut and disable the autostart in MSCONFIG

Goodluck!~

Seccie

I love that this is the only response to this problem

I love that this is the only response to this problem. I'm tired of it popping up on startup (OSX) and noone seems to have a solid solution. Like, how is there no solution to this? Maybe an update?

@poobarreled what operating system are you using? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

"This is actually fairly easy.  Open Spotify, click the Edit menu, and select Preferences.  Scroll all the way to the bottom, and select the option labeled "Don't open automatically."  That should do it - all you need to do at that point is close Spotify, and optionally restart your computer to test the new settings."

This is the "duh" answer. 

I have found a real solution that has just worked for me.

After scrolling many threads, I have seen others turn off anything else that auto-starts with spotify (helper files, etc.) I had downloaded SpotRemote to control spotify on my laptop from my iPhone. Little did I know, SpotRemoteServer was starting up automatically, which I guess was also causing my spotify to launch without my permission. I went to the preferences in SpotRemoteServer, unchecked "load on startup", and I am now surprised to find that Spotify does not start up with the system. Thank god.

Mac OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

Is there a bona fide solution for this yet or not? I'm running Windows 8 Pro 64 bit on an ASUS UX31A. I've unchecked the preference option to open at startup, I've removed it from startup, I've gone through msconfig with a fine toothed comb to find anything spotify related and stopped it from starting, but it doesn't work. This machine is brand new and all I have installed on it besides the default Windows apps is Spotify, Chrome, Firefox, and Microsoft Office, so there isn't anything that's interfereing.

This behavior is really annoying and needs to be taken care of, especially considering how much I' (and other customers) have paid to have spotify.

Had this problem. Tried doing it within spotify, then system prefs didn't work. Turned out that another application I am running (Airfoil) was automatically booting up spotify.

The fix: I had to stop Airfoil from launching automatically, which is too bad because I likely won't use it anymore as a result.

Here's what works on a Mac.

Click and hold on the Spotify icon in the dock.

Select: Options

Deselect: Open at login

Steve,

Nice one, I just turned off the FB Platform and it stopped spotify auto startup, as I don't use FB anyway...much.

Many Thanks,

Jim Bowe

Ireland

I realize this is an old thread, but I just found a real solution to this issue. 

(Note: This is for Mac, specifically OS X 10.9.2)

Open System Preferences > Users & Groups.

Under Current User, select Login Items.

Select/check Spotify, then click the minus sign at the bottom of the window.

Ironically, I'm a Windows user who happens to occasionally use my wife's Mac. I haven't looked into this issue for Windows yet, although I would assume checking in msconfig and perhaps Services would yield a solution.

Actually haven't seen many reports of issues on Windows lately (after turning it off in the Spotify preferences menu).

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi, If u have a facebook account, u have to deactivate the app from within FB, Windows Vista

The problem still isn't fixed.

Spotify is MALWARE. I unticked the start automatically box in Spotify itself, and went into msconfig.

Spotify creates copies of itself so you can never really delete it from the list. Only malware would behave like this.

It's been two years since this issue was first reported. I'm deleting the PC app.

That doesn't work at all, and if you'd read through the thread, you'd find that everyone is experiencing the same issue. That method (which admittedly should work) does not work at all. I went in and changed the name of the executable so that whatever is calling it to open at startup can't since it isn't named spotify.exe. This program is exhibiting malicious behavior.

If you are on a Mac, use spotlight to find "Spotify". I found two copies of Spotify, one in the /Applications folder and the other in the Applications folder of my user home account. Delete both of them will solve the problem.

Anyway, the right place for malware-behaving software is the trash can, right? And make sure you empty the trash can.

Well Pete, I have my setting so it should not start and it still does anyway. Maybe others have just gotten tired of reporting an issue that does not seem to have any developers attention. However I was thinking about subsribing but this little detail is a deal breaker for me. Don't bother replying to this as my account will be deleted tonight. 🙂

WHAT EDIT MENU are you talking about?

My Desktop shortcut?  The spotify web page opens and music starts.  On the left is all menu... only thing I can find is

all the way at left bottom is an icon like a gear.   

Still, the icon only lets you change account settings.  I have been to help, and now in this community forum.

Where is the player settings?  I should be allowed to set the player, right?  I do not want a splash screen on 

my computer desktop when the computer starts.   It would have been put in my Start > Start-up --- If I wanted that to happen!

Suggested posts