Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to make font size bigger?

Solved!

How to make font size bigger?

My Windows fonts are set as large as they can be, but the text inside of Spotify is agonizingly small. I don't see a place to increase the font size in Spotify. If there is one, please let me know. If not, I urge you to add such a feature for middle-aged persons like me whose eyes are going fast.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey 🙂 

This is currently not possible I'm afraid. 

Unfortunately it was suggested before the font size be adjustable but it was closed by the Spotify team here

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

So you can't see the tiny font size on your HDTV or Mediacenter? This may seem complicated for the average user, but it's as simple as finding a folder, and a file within it. Once you find the file, you change two numbers, resave it, and you'll actually be able to see Spotify on your HDTV. I'm no programmer, but I have used Wordpad, and if you have, you should be able to do this easily. Here's what you do:

1. Click Start

2. Type "resources.zip" in the search bar (you may need to select "Include Non-Indexed Files" under advanced options)

3. Right click on the resources.zip folder and cick open folder location

4. You now have a windowthat shows the resources.zip folder in a list

5. Now double click the resources.zip folder in that list. (Do Not Close This Window) When the folder opens, you will see "extract all files" in the upper left corner. Click there and choose where you would like to extract those files to (I Made a new blank folder on the desktop named resources, or whatever you like, for the destination folder when extracting the files.) 

6. Once you have extracted the files from resources.zip into the new folder on your desktop, make sure not to close the original resources.zip folder window. You'll need it in a bit.

7. Go to the folder on your desktop (I named mine resources) that you extracted the files from resources.zip to and find the file skin.xml

8. Right click skin.xml and select "open with" and then choose wordpad ( it's easiest for me) I immediately saved a copy to the desktop called skin_backup.xml just in case I messed up.

9. Once the file opens you'll see a bunch of computer programmer mumbo-jumbo. Don't get scared here, anyone can do this. In the top left of the wordpad window, select "edit", then click "find". When the find window pops up, type this exactly,  <font ci="MainlistRow" then hit enter. (Should be about line 113 if you use SharePoint) You should see this: <font ci="MainlistRow" color="#dfe0e5" id="mainlistRow" size="24" face="proxima_nova" />

See where it says size="24", yours will read 12 or 14. I changed mine to "24" and now I can see it on my 42" HDTV

10. Almost there! Still in Wordpad, in the Edit > Find window, now type this exactly <font ci="SidebarRowFont". (about line 725) You should see this: <font ci="SidebarRowFont"                color="#949599" size="24" face="proxima_nova" />

Again here the value for the size="24" was size="14" before I changed it.

11. Once you have changed these two values in Wordpad, go to "File" and click "Save As". Name the file skin.xml and save to your desktop.

12. Remember that window you left open earlier that shows you all of the files in the original resources.zip folder (AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Data\resources.zip). Now just drag and drop your newskin.xml file from the desktop into the resources.zip folder.

13. Restart Spotify and you now have fonts you can see on your HDTV. If the fonts are too big or too small, just reopen your skin.xml file with Wordpad, change the two size= values, save to your desktop, then drag the new updated skin.xml file into the resources.zip folder. Restart Spotify again and see you font size changed.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey 🙂 

This is currently not possible I'm afraid. 

Unfortunately it was suggested before the font size be adjustable but it was closed by the Spotify team here

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I got tired of the small font on my Linux machine so I wrote a small Python script that changes the size of some of the texts in the Spotify client.

I just uploaded it to github and also made some improvments to it to make it more automatic.

https://github.com/anhem/spotifybigpicture

I've tried it on Windows 7 and Ubuntu, but it should be working for OS X as well as other Windows versions. But you use it at your own risk.

Thank you for the script, it works perfectly on Ubuntu 13.10 🙂 --size 4 was great for my 15.6" (--size 10 made everything very wonky), in case someone needs a reference value.

Marked as solution

So you can't see the tiny font size on your HDTV or Mediacenter? This may seem complicated for the average user, but it's as simple as finding a folder, and a file within it. Once you find the file, you change two numbers, resave it, and you'll actually be able to see Spotify on your HDTV. I'm no programmer, but I have used Wordpad, and if you have, you should be able to do this easily. Here's what you do:

1. Click Start

2. Type "resources.zip" in the search bar (you may need to select "Include Non-Indexed Files" under advanced options)

3. Right click on the resources.zip folder and cick open folder location

4. You now have a windowthat shows the resources.zip folder in a list

5. Now double click the resources.zip folder in that list. (Do Not Close This Window) When the folder opens, you will see "extract all files" in the upper left corner. Click there and choose where you would like to extract those files to (I Made a new blank folder on the desktop named resources, or whatever you like, for the destination folder when extracting the files.) 

6. Once you have extracted the files from resources.zip into the new folder on your desktop, make sure not to close the original resources.zip folder window. You'll need it in a bit.

7. Go to the folder on your desktop (I named mine resources) that you extracted the files from resources.zip to and find the file skin.xml

8. Right click skin.xml and select "open with" and then choose wordpad ( it's easiest for me) I immediately saved a copy to the desktop called skin_backup.xml just in case I messed up.

9. Once the file opens you'll see a bunch of computer programmer mumbo-jumbo. Don't get scared here, anyone can do this. In the top left of the wordpad window, select "edit", then click "find". When the find window pops up, type this exactly,  <font ci="MainlistRow" then hit enter. (Should be about line 113 if you use SharePoint) You should see this: <font ci="MainlistRow" color="#dfe0e5" id="mainlistRow" size="24" face="proxima_nova" />

See where it says size="24", yours will read 12 or 14. I changed mine to "24" and now I can see it on my 42" HDTV

10. Almost there! Still in Wordpad, in the Edit > Find window, now type this exactly <font ci="SidebarRowFont". (about line 725) You should see this: <font ci="SidebarRowFont"                color="#949599" size="24" face="proxima_nova" />

Again here the value for the size="24" was size="14" before I changed it.

11. Once you have changed these two values in Wordpad, go to "File" and click "Save As". Name the file skin.xml and save to your desktop.

12. Remember that window you left open earlier that shows you all of the files in the original resources.zip folder (AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Data\resources.zip). Now just drag and drop your newskin.xml file from the desktop into the resources.zip folder.

13. Restart Spotify and you now have fonts you can see on your HDTV. If the fonts are too big or too small, just reopen your skin.xml file with Wordpad, change the two size= values, save to your desktop, then drag the new updated skin.xml file into the resources.zip folder. Restart Spotify again and see you font size changed.

Is this for Windows? Which version?

How do I the execute the following command?

Sorry, I don't know programming.

Ctrl++ worked for me.

Go to setting and do it 

Actually i just find out that This is currently not possible

I have easier solution now: 

to zoom in: CTRL + 

to zoom out: CTRL -

Hope that helps!

Suggested posts