Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New Releases Playlist Not Updating

New Releases Playlist Not Updating

The official "New Releases on Spotify" playlist (link: New Releases on Spotify - US) has been one of my favorite features of the program. I use it every week to see all the new tracks and albums added. Unlike every prior week, the playlist was not updated this Tuesday. I tweeted @SpotifyCares, and they replied "I think we upload too many to put them in one place, but New Releases in Browse is a great place to start 🙂 /S." This seems unlikely, considering the list frequently has releases from the last two weeks. Furthermore, I've seen playlists with near 2,000 songs on them (the New Releases playlist has under 500), making this assertion by @SpotifyCares very dubious.

To make matters worse, my copy of the list today was replaced by a list called "New Music Tueday" (link: New Music Tuesday), which only includes tracks selected by Spotify. This is obviously not the same.

Is this issue being looked into? Was the lack of update this week just a blip? The answer from @SpotifyCares on Twitter was clearly wrong, so I'd like to know what's really going on.

65 Replies

As a fallback, I've started to use the Browse > New Releases menu item, which includes both albums and singles - you can't tell until you actually click on each one for more info. The problem here seems to be that Spotify is introducing less new music on a weekly basis, and many of the albums close to the top of the list are already a month+ old. I'll continue to track this as we move towards the holiday season and more albums are released. It may be the case that the studios are turning the screws on music streaming services like Spotify, which in turn is trying to direct its users towards older and more repetitive content - aka cheaper. Generally, if I wanted good radio stations, I would go to Tunein, and if wanted a good recommendation service Pandora would probably do the job. So really, the only niche Spotify (and others like Rhapsody) have going for them is the unlimited streaming of artists of your choice. Once that goes away, they go away.

@user-removed wrote:

Has there been any movement by spotify on this?  Has anyone heard anything?!

Unfortunately, no. My conversation with Spotify support went just as I expected it would. Rather than answer the question I asked, they directed me to New Music Tuesdays, even though I very explicitly stated in my question that NMT was NOT what I was looking for. I repeated my request in terms impossible to misunderstand and have not received a response since.

It seems like the official stance of Spotify on this issue is to willfully misunderstand and, when misunderstanding is no longer possible, to ignore the question until it goes away.

Man! Trying not to let this get me all freaked out again! and why is beethoven up in the top of the new releases?? NOT! anyway.. they did give me one shortcut but doesn't seem to help better than browsing the new releases.  If you type tag:new into the search bar and then click see all...but the same albums will be at the top for consecutive weeks so it must be an add type thing...Spotify will never be the same to me.. BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on a different note my husband and i found out we are expecting!  so I can't deal with this stress right now! hoping enough people will complain? I don't get it..we had what 30,000 followers on that playlist? so what's the big deal?? can't they just let us have it?? If anyone can figure out how to determine EVERY SINGLE new song/album for the week i would gladly update it weekly. 

Anyone have any ideas on that? 🙂 Keep me posted...trying not to give up but sick of it driving me crazy all day too... serenity now! 😉

SO either I missed this, or it's a work around... (the searching for a tag thing never worked for me)

On the main page, there's a header now that has 'new releases' on it - it includes singles and albums.  I scrolled back a little way, and while it's not a playlist, at least you can see some of the new releases easier.

I miss it auto-dumped into a playlist, but for now, I'm slightly happier to have found that work around.

Capture.JPG

The new releases tab has been there but it only displays a curated subset of new releases and doesn't appear to show many, if any added back catalog additions.

I'd like a list every week of everything they add to their catalog.  How else will we know, without constant searching, when they get around to adding stuff like Peter Gabriel, King Crimson, and other conspicuously absent work? 

On a related note, I'm finding more and more music in my playlists no longer available.  For me, the Spotify library has been shrinking, not growing. 

What's up with that?

I just signed up for Google All Access.  I'll let everyone know how new release discovery works on that service.

So Google All Access does have a New Releases Playlist for EVERY week. A Google employee makes it. You can see his profile on Google+ and everything. If you just do a search for "New Releases 09 2014" you can see the couple of playlists for September. Likewise if you substitute the 09 for another month you'll see the playlists for that month. Furthermore, you can also see the New Releases the same way you can in spotify by going to the New Releases section but Google also has them available by playlist for every week and they apparently don't delete the playlists.

I'm going to keep using Google All Access for a little while since I have the free 30 day trial but I'm basically issuing Spotify an ultimatum. Bring back the New Releases playlist or I'll run to Google.

Yeah, I gotta remake some playlists there but I can still import my offline library and now when I use my phone to say, "OK Google, Play Guns N' Roses" it will actually work since Google Music has voice support.

Your move Spotify. Yes, the New Releases playlist is that important to me.

I just wanted to throw my support behind having this playlist updated. Ever since I signed up for Spotify, I've used this playlist to discover a ton of great new music every week. The limited, curated "New Releases" and "New Music Tuesday" playlists pale in comparison to being to browse through *all* of the latest Spotify additions. Not having this feature anymore has really put a damper on my enjoyment of the service and has led me to explore other services (namely, Google Play Music and Amazon Music).

Put simply, if this playlist does not return, I will have no reason to continue paying for the Spotify service and will end my subscription. While Spotify does seem to have the widest selection of music available among the streaming services, it doesn't do me much good if I cannot consume it in the manner that I used to.

Spotify - your new releases section is inadequate.  It doesn't contain a complete list of everything you added to your catalog that week.  Why would you want to hide that information?  This week there were a bunch of new and re-released albums missing from the new releases section.

How come Spotify won't at least tell us why?  It's driving me crazy.  Every week that goes by, I feel like I'm missing out on more and more new music.

The only halfway decent answer I have received, after going around and around in circles with support and finally demanding a straight answer, was "it's not currently possible."

It was possible up until August 5, though. Someone at Spotify has a short memory.

At the very least, they could publish a list somewhere, ANYWHERE, of what they add each week - I'm sure someone in the community would happily take on the task of adding it all to a public playlist.

For now, though, I have canceled my Spotify Premium subscription. It's not only about the playlist at this point. The customer service I have received over this issue has been the worst. Absolutely nothing but scripted responses and complete avoidance of the question. When they couldn't do either of those, they just stopped responding altogether.

I sincerely hope everyone watching this thread is also sending emails to support@spotify.com and tweeting @spotifycares. The community forums are great for talking to one another but, unless we're contacting Spotify directly and making ourselves impossible to ignore, nothing will change. Make a nuisance of yourself until you get an answer.

Thanks. I just emailed them AGAIN. Hopefully they actually respond this time.

Let us know how other services compete, we've heard some good things about Google Play but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

For now, I'm living with the browse New Releases option. Every Tuesday, I'll go in, listen to them and decide what gets into my current listening playlist. Bit of a pain compared with the discontinued playlist but at least they're putting the new music *somewhere* we can find it.

A few features that would help are:

- a visual cue for album / single.

- a visual or textual cue for genre (I don't like having to listen to stuff that will never get onto my playlist like Electronica or lewd hip hop).

Try the Spotify New Music site

http://www.spotifynewmusic.com/index.php

There is also a page where release lists based on LastFM tags can be viewed.

http://www.spotifynewmusic.com/tagwall.php

You can go back up to 4 weeks.  I generally look at this site each Tuesday or Wednesday, and there are two playlists that they publish

This Weeks Releases [spotifynewmusic.com]  http

This Weeks Releases [spotifynewmusic.com]  URI

Last Weeks Releases [spotifynewmusic.com]  http

Last Weeks Releases [spotifynewmusic.com]  URI

Really nice site.

Hey, Rollo, that's a great site you've found. And yes, I've used it, too. While it does have some quirks (it sometimes insists on showing me releases that turn out to be not available in my country even though I've selected my country), it has proven to be useful.

But, it's still a pain to open a completely unrelated site and flip back and forth between the two to listen to new music. In addition, I shouldn't have to rely on a third party to provide a feature that was once native to the Spotify service. Again, if this is the direction Spotify wants to go, that's fine. They can continue to curate only a small subset of all their new releases, directing people only to the albums they feel are worth the attention (read: they're probably getting paid something somewhere to promote them), and I'll move on to something else.

And the playlists Rollo provided are also no longer being updated. It'd be nice if a community member made the Playlist like jlarome did on the ones linked above but we shouldn't have to count on the community to do this for us.

Spotify should be providing the same level of service they were providing in early August.

I emailed them a couple days ago and have yet to hear back.

Pretty cool list site, Rollo. Any idea why it seems to be missing the recent Jimi Hendrix and Modest Mouse additions?

http://www.spotifynewmusic.com/index.php?genrefilter=&order=Date+Added&weeks=4

This seems like it should be so simple and obvious for Spotify. 

http://www.spotifynewmusic.com/albumpage.php?album=7026  The Hendrix release.

Granted, I had to search, which sort of defeats the purpose, but its there.  Allmusic.com shows a release date of March 4, 2013, so that may be the reason.

No results for Modest Mouse, but as far as I know, they're only RE-issuing their first two albums.

But don't get me wrong, I've long complained about Spotify's lack of a weekly listing of all additions to the Spotify catalog, whether re-issues of new releases.  It shouldn't be that hard to do.

Spotify New Music had been keeping up the new release playlist weekly up until August 24th.  You may want to contact them about updates.  Honestly, I didn't notice it hadn't updated for a while

Spotify finally responded to my email concerning the new releases Playlist. Here is their garbage response for everyone to see:

Hey,

Thanks for getting in touch with your feedback.

Thanks for sharing! Please feel free to share it on our ideas board at http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/idb-p/ideaexchange

You can get other users to show their support by voting on the idea. We’ll keep everyone updated on its status. Maybe your idea could even make it into the app some day!

Let us know if you have any other great ideas or feedback.

Matt Cope

My thread for new release playlist suggestion is already up and posted - just click the link...  hopefully if it gets enough kudos, Spotify may notice...

Suggested posts