Free

Country

Germany

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

There are already a lot of threads about this. But this bug is still not fixed yet. 

Podcasts always play in reverse order. (new to old)

But i want to hear them from old to new.

I can change the display order. I can also filter out the episodes i already heard. But this doesn't change anything. It still plays in reverse order, and also filtered episodes.

I already reinstalled Spotify twice. It didn't help. 

Please fix this.

Top Answer
Jeremy
Spotify Legend

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your replies and feedback in this thread.

We can confirm that this is still being looked into by our team.

In the meantime we recommend that you head over to the ongoing issue that's been provided and Subscribe to it so that you don't miss any updates about this.

Have a great continued weekend!

76 Replies

This is SO annoying, especially in the car as I can't exactly grab my phone so I have to stop listening. 

Yesterday I manually removed the 126 episodes I'd already listened to and today they are all back in, in reverse order. Argh!

I'm listening to an actual play podcast so I need the next one, not one I've already heard.

Been having this problem for weeks now, just got here to see this has been ongoing issue for so long for so many people.

So much is exclusive to Spotify, so we keep paying and Spotify has no incentive to listen and fix issue. Disheartening.

It's been years, how has nobody either fixed or been fired over this? 

Nope.  Apparently no one at Spotify actually listens to podcasts.  

Since the last update when listening to podcasts when one episode ends instead going to the next episode it is playing the previous episode.

For example if I finish episode 7 it should play episode 8, however the opposite is happening where when episode 7 finishes it proceeds to play episode 6 again. This is happening even when all previous episodes are ticked as played no matter how long it has been streaming uninterrupted

Don't know where this thread went, is Spotify shadow banning it because they
don't appear willing to fix the problem? I'm not aware of anyone from
Spotify commenting on this to say something like "it's working the way we
think it should work", which would, of course, be ridiculous because NO one
wants to listen to podcasts from new to old.

FOUND THE FIX FOR THIS:

I was getting so frustrated that Spotify kept playing my podcasts in reverse order even when I had the sort/filters set to oldest and unplayed. For example I'd start episode 16 and once that episode had finished it would go onto episode 15 and then 14 etc. Even skipping tracks manually was reversed. Turns out it's the queue (accessible bottom right of now playing screen) that's causing the reverse order. Simple fix is to remove all the tracks from the queue. Will see how long this fix lasts for.

I hope it keeps working for you. When I emptied my queue of 135 episodes, the next time I started it was full again, in reverse order.

Ditto for me..

Yes still working for me. To try and help out I've even tested it by changing to music and back again. When I select a music album the queue automatically clears all of the podcasts and puts the music in normal running order. Then I went back to my podcast and the queue is full of the episodes in order from latest one I'm listening to right down to the last episode. The only other things I've tried in recent times are a clean install and going into the setting icon while on a podcast, then going to Manage "mark as played" and then clearing that entire list. Then manually scrolling through each episode to make it mark as played again. Once you're back to where you're up to maybe clear the queue again, then set filters to unplayed and oldest/newest depending on your preference. Then click on the current episode to play and then hopefully Spotify should order your queue correctly from then onwards. I've attached images as proof this is still working how it should for me.  

1000029869.png

1000029868.png

1000029871.png

Extremely annoying issue.  I really didn't have a problem until a recent (within the last month or so) update but now it is persistent.  I generally set the Filter to all episodes sorted by newest because that makes the most sense for how I listen.  It will initially add the podcasts to the queue in chronological order and they will successfully play that way but after the app goes to sleep or whatever the queue gets repopulated from top down of the episode list instead. Sometimes if you open the queue early you can actually see it happen.
I already suspected switching the default sorting method might help so I will give it a try as suggested but that is a pretty annoying way to browse for anyone jumping between podcasts.

Almost 2 years on and this is still an issue? Why are we paying Spotify if they ignore the issues of paying customers? There sure doesn't seem to be an issue with this thread showing posts from oldest to newest.

Spotify, what is your malfunction?

Spotify sucks, folks! Just use Apple Podcasts! 

I have tried playing off the podcast's playlist when it is organized Oldest to Newest and when it is arranged Newest to Oldest, but either way, it plays the episodes in the wrong order. When one episode ends, it goes backwards to the previous episode that I already listened to instead of going forward to the following episode that was released after the one I just finished.

On both my Iphone app, work Mac desktop app & home PC desktop app podcasts will go back and play the previous episode (already played) instead of continuing in order to the next episode. This happens on autoplay and also when clicking the forward arrow button. Very annoying, especially when driving and I can't use the phone to select the correct episode!

I know. It's almost as if Spotify didn't want people to use it for
podcasts. Can't imagine a more user-unfriendly process, particularly - as
you point out - when driving. Same thing if you're in any situation where
one podcast ends and the other (wrong) one starts and you can't stop, swear,
and make another choice.

How can it possibly be SO difficult to simply play them in order?

I've had this issue for years. I do all the things--sort and filter out played episodes. Sometimes it works. Until it doesn't, and suddenly I'm jumping from the 26th episode to the 345th. Can we PLEASE fix this issue??? It has been like this for YEARS and it reflects awfully on the company that it's this difficult to listen to a podcast in chronological order.

Suggested posts