Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Search function not working

Solved!

Search function not working

After the latest update of Spotify (1-2 weeks ago) the search function only works from time to time. Works on iPhone but not on laptop with Win 7.

What to do?

101 Replies

@princessgleek

Everything else works good?

Maybe a clean reinstall can help:

Log out of Spotify and then close the program.

Uninstall.
Browse to the cache. The default location should be C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Spotify\Storage and delete everything inside the folder.
Delete the folder C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Spotify\Users\<random numbers-user>\ There is a folder for each profile that has been logged into Spotify on that computer account.

Reinstall.

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hello,

I am using version 5.7.0.1055 and have paid for a premium account, but it still does not let me search for songs. 

It did not help

Reinstalling has not solved the issue I am having with search bar only working intermittently.

Try Apple Music! Much better!

I am a paid Spotify user, and have this problem on my iMac desktop, OSX El Capitan, v 10.11.4, latest version of Spotify. The search works on my iPad and iPhone, but not my desktop, which is where I do the bulk of my listening. I've tried logging out and clean reinstall, but nothing is working, It's very frustrating.

Marked as solution

My problem was solved by returning my Internet connection setting for the DNS back to the default DNS address for my provider. I had originally changed it to a service that supposedly speeded up Internet searches.

I see a similar issue. Solution is to log out and log back in again which is tedious. I have an iPad Air 2 Spotify version 7.5.0.1023.

symtom appears at random while searching music.

On my google chrome laptop the new spotify update looks great, but when I type a serch into the new search field no suggestions come up and if I press the search icon or hit enter still nothing...

I know that the problem is not an unknown search because I was searching for acdc as well. When any search is entered into the field, a blank black page comes up with no error messages, just... nothing...

Please fix this as soon as possible, spotify is great but I havent been able to find any loopholes or anything. Spotify worked just fine before the update.

I am using a google chrome laptop

Your DNS service is blocking ad related sites and for some reason  spclient.wg.spotify.com shows up on an ad list and it is a required URL that needs to stay unblocked for spotify to work properly.

Version is 1.0.53.758.gde3fc4b2

I tried uninstaling re-installing and logging in and out...still not working for me. I'm using Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10, this is the first time I've ever experienced this was today right now.

Same issue here.

Was fine last night, and every night before that.

Just started this morning, can't search anything, logged in and out.. Absolutely mindboggling how it would "break" when it's been fine so long.

I have the same issue running on my Mac, Artists, and search doesn't work, if i let it searching in 40 minutes it start showing results, also on artists pages.

My guess is some bad coding of the spotify app, when running spotify with safari, and other programs, the perfomance of spotify starts with this errors.

Uninstalling the app it's just a quick fix, but it doesn't work, also not linking my music library better the perfomance of opening the app.

Weird "solution":

Use to search on the spotify web player and played it on the desktop app.

Nowadays, I prefer using TIDAL the desktop app runs absolute with no errors.

It's very disappointing being a spotify premium user and not able to listen to anything because of a bad coding of the app.

no help

I started having this problem today and when I search for something I get a error saying a error occurred. It won't even load my account. I tried deleting it and reinstalling it that won't work.

Hey @MusicFan2019

In what device are you having this problem?

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I am experiencing this too since a few weeks on my laptop. Sometimes it works (but extremely slow), but mostly it doens't work. I don't have any problems on my smartphone. But as I listen most on my laptop, it is very annyong I can't search for bands. If I put a name or so, it just stays that way, it does not start to search.

Same problem here on macbook pro, tried rebooting, nothing changes. Super annoying 

I have the same problem.  No search function on the Ipod.

Suggested posts