Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Search function not working

Solved!

Search function not working

After the latest update of Spotify (1-2 weeks ago) the search function only works from time to time. Works on iPhone but not on laptop with Win 7.

What to do?

101 Replies

This problem has been identified as an error in the 0.9.8.296 client and should have been mitigated as of last week.

If you're still experiencing the problem, please restart your client. This should make the Spotify client start with a new and updated version of the search component.

It worked when I restarted Spotify. Thank you.

For critical issues like this, we should receive a message or something instead of forcing the user to investigate.

I have had this problem for a couple of weeks on my Windows 7 64 bit laptop. I have un-installed and re-installed several times and downloaded the only version I can get to on the Spotify website.

However, I still have Version 0.9.8.296.g91f68827 and cannot search for anything. 

Can you please advise why I have this problem, just on this laptop, and not on my Windows 8 tablet which is running the same version?

I read some of these replies - glad to hear this problem is fixed for some.  But it's still not working on my android charge.  Just uninstalled and reinstalled AGAIN today.  Nope, same problem.  I'm due for an android upgrade soon so hopefully that will solve the problem.  Still very aggravating.  Spotify should fix this. I like the workaround idea to go into the Radio feature first, but alas, that doesn't help me.  My phone still won't bring up the keyboard screen to type anything when I hit search either from search or from the Radio search.  My phone used to work just fine w Spotify.  Spotify made changes and now it won't. 

I have come up with my own workaround and have gotten it to input search terms:  I hit the X button at the end of the search box at just the right random angle.   Press down on it  with just the right random pressure.  Blink, hold my breath then I close out spotify and reopen it really really quickly  before it remembers it doesn't want to search anymore on this phone. throw in some colorful mumbled words at Spotify, hit the search button and sometimes, not always but sometimes when I go into the search box again, the keyboard screen... magically pops up!  Looks different than usual btw (maybe Spotify has a problem integrating the Android Swype screen vs the normal text screen, who knows, I've tried both.  Sometimes it's asked my about text input method.) Then when I type text I have to hope I'm hitting the letters correctly because I can't actually SEE them in the search field because it's no longer typing black letters onto a white gray field but black letters onto a dark gray black field.  If I'm lucky, some band or song names will pop up...

All so simple!

Running free version 0.9.8.296.g91f68827 on Windows 8.  The search bar has not worked for me ever since I restarted Spotify to get the latest update.  I have tried to close and restart the client without noticing any change.  Are people still having this issue?

Marked as solution

@masterp123 - It's worth reinstalling to see if that makes a difference too:
http://support.spotify.com/learn-more/faq/#!/article/reinstallation-of-spotify

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

This worked.  

Thanks, champ

It hasn't worked for me. Still no search capability. Close to closing account as it doesn't work on the computer I use most.

Same here, typing something into the search box brings alternatives, but when I click someting I get an empty page and nothing happens.

Browze doesn't work either, the load circle freezes and nothing happens. If I recall correctly, the browse function has not worked in about two months. The search function broke after the update (new looks).

Running on Windows 7, premium account, have logged out and back in, have reinstalled several times (which btw I had to do in safe mode due to error 17), have the latest version of Spofity.. The web player works fine, no problems whatsoever.

Highly annoying, please help.

..And to add, discover and radio tabs don't work either. By clicking the radio button I get an empty white page, and with discover I have the same problem than with browse, the load circle freezes and nothing happens.

EDIT: with browse and discover, there is an empty page but there are links that I am able to click. By clicking them get a a list of songs or a playlist etc..

I have also updated Adobe flash to the latest version, but it didn't help.

EDIT 2: Notifications do not show up either, just an empty white space.

@svengikone - To fix the blank pages, try the steps here:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Spotify-quits-by-itself-every-time-I-open...

Peter

That fixed all problems that I described, many thanks! Although it is obvious that a manual launch is not the most user-friendly way.

Then on to a second problem that I have had for (probably) over a year. I'm using two finger scroll on my laptop, it works fine everywhere else expect Spotify (desktop app). Any idea why? Also, when launching the app it always asks me permission to make changes to the computer's hardrive, the app only launches if I click ok. For example, at my office this does not occur.

EDIT: Two-finger-scroll used to work also in Spotify, but at some point it stopped working. Note that by attaching a mouse I am able to scroll using the roller, without the need to drag bars.

If you right click on the Spotify icon on your desktop and select Properties, is the "Run as Administrator" box selected?

Peter

It was not selected, but unfortunately it didn't help, still asks for permission and the two finger scroll does not work.

Also, by taking the pointer on the icon (in the icon bar) does not bring up pause, next and previous fuctionalitites that were once there.

Weird as I have no problems whatsoever at my office computer.

EDIT: I investigated the default settings (icon --> properties) a bit, I noticed that the program was running in compability mode with Windows XP Service Pack 2 as default setting. By unselecting that, I was able to open Spotify by just clicking the icon, and that brought new life into browse, discover and search, which I could previously only use when launcing the app manually via the run command. However, two-finger-scoll and the small built-in icons (in the icon bar) are still missing.

Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1

0.9.8.296.g91f68827

Activity stream also doesn't load

Occurs with or without activity stream showing

Also, no scrolling in preferences

All works if run as Administrator

Im hoping this msg will be in the right place. I'm VERY frustrated because the problem's been on two months now. 

When I search, I can click the right artist or song from the drop menu, but the result is a black page, always. 

If I move my pointer on the black area, the pointer changes like there's something to show, but all I can see is a black screen.

My playlists appear normally, so does the apps. 

I have logged out and in - still the same

I have uninstalled and installed again - not helping. 

I want something for my lost money, an answer for a start.

Win 7 Home Premium ver 6.1  (7601 - service pack1), Spotify 0.9.8.296.g91f68827

just upgraded today...mac os 10  no can find anything (like a search bar) to play any music at all.  What's up????

Hey, 

I don't know if this has been solved or not, but it got fixed for me when I unticked the "Enable hardware acceleration" from preferences and restarted Spotify.

-Jonde

Thanks Jonde,

I solved it by adding a few parameters to the shortcut originally:

spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background

This was from another post in this thread. However, I've just tried your suggestion and it also works. 

One thing, there are actually two Enable Hardware Acceleration checkboxes, one for playback and one for UI. I disabled the UI one (obviously). 🙂

Thanks again.

mac os.

macbook air

spotify version- 0.9.15.27

search doesnt work. 

pls fix

@HelenaMariana wrote:

After the latest update of Spotify (1-2 weeks ago) the search function only works from time to time. Works on iPhone but not on laptop with Win 7.

What to do?

asap

Suggested posts