Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify App for Windows 10 Won't start

Solved!

Spotify App for Windows 10 Won't start

When I install the app the message as shown in the attachment is displayed. I have restarted my computer multiple times, reinstalled the app (remove, restart, install, restart, start app), changed the path to where the spotify app is being installed (Storage settings in Windows 10 which allows to install the app on another disk) but the message keeps coming. The weird thing is that the path in the titlebar is always the same (C:\Program Files\ etc.) even though I have tried installing the app on another disk. In between I also tried cleaning up all elements from Spotify in the registry that had any mentioning of this path or Spotify and retried above steps but that also did not work.

I was able to reveal the full path that is being mentioned in the titlebar and it is looking for the SpotifyMigrator.exe which is there ( I confirmed ) and I get the same message when starting this myself. However, Why would I need a migrator on a pc which did not have any Spotify application installed before? I cannot use the app this way while I would like to.

translation of the errormessage:
"

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

"

spotify_error.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Do you redirect your app data in a domain environment? I resolved this problem by undoing this. See https://4sysops.com/archives/how-to-disable-folder-redirection/ how to proceed.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

This morning I checked the Spotify App before updating Windows 10 to the 1803 version and the app still did not work. I then updated Windows to this build and checked again and since this latest Windows 10 update the issue has been resolved for me.

As it seems, The latest windows update removed support for Folder Redirection for AppData\Roaming which is probably why the issue is resolved, which is ultimately the same workaround (as I would call it) as erik99 mentioned, but now enforced by Microsoft. This removed feature introduced a few new issues but Spotify works correct for now. It also seems that it is an universal issue for UWP Apps in combination with AppData\Roaming redirected as stated here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c654b173-8c6d-48f6-8fad-fbf35844f80d/roaming-appda...

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Got the same problem. Happened to Telegram too. I can confirm that I had taken ownership of that folder and check if it was there. And it is

Maybe it's because of the updated version. There's no way I can roll back to the previous versions. Probably have to wait for a fix from Microsoft and Spotify

Getting the similar error. The x86 program references the UWP app for something, probably authentication for premium users? When you move your AppData folder to a new location, or install Spotify somewhere else, something breaks the function call permanently.

I'm currently receiving an "Incorrect function" on launch that references my WindowsApp folder too. Tried reinstalling both the x86 program and the UWP.

Funny since the reason I moved my AppData folder was because Spotify caches the "Data" folder of streaming music too, potentially crushing it with read/writes and no option to move that folder to another drive. It's not their "Storage" folder for downloaded music that I'm referring to.

Marked as solution

Do you redirect your app data in a domain environment? I resolved this problem by undoing this. See https://4sysops.com/archives/how-to-disable-folder-redirection/ how to proceed.

Marked as solution

This morning I checked the Spotify App before updating Windows 10 to the 1803 version and the app still did not work. I then updated Windows to this build and checked again and since this latest Windows 10 update the issue has been resolved for me.

As it seems, The latest windows update removed support for Folder Redirection for AppData\Roaming which is probably why the issue is resolved, which is ultimately the same workaround (as I would call it) as erik99 mentioned, but now enforced by Microsoft. This removed feature introduced a few new issues but Spotify works correct for now. It also seems that it is an universal issue for UWP Apps in combination with AppData\Roaming redirected as stated here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c654b173-8c6d-48f6-8fad-fbf35844f80d/roaming-appda...

Suggested posts