Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Xbox One App randomly switches Left and Right stereo channels

Xbox One App randomly switches Left and Right stereo channels

Plan

Premium (issue occurs with both Free and Premium)

Country

United States

Device

Xbox One

Operating System

Xbox One

My Question or Issue

On the Xbox One Spotify app (which updates, so I assume support hasn't been discontinued), the Left and Right stereo channels randomly switch from Right to Left after a short pause in the audio. The short pauses occur independent of the connection strength (I actually have no buffering issues so no complaints there). Even if there were buffering due to poor connection, there is no logical reason for the left and right channels to switch.

The issue is most glaring and obnoxious when listening to older music in Spotify's library. When instruments are, in the individual audio productions, hard-panned to one stereo channel (example: Beatles, early Van Halen, etc.) and the app randomly reverses the channels, it compromises the original artistic integrity of the work.

When listening to newer electronic music, where the sound design is much more intricate, the effect is all-of-the-above mentioned in addition to downright nauseating.

Might seem a little goofy to take issue with this, and care about an audio issue on an app for a dead console, for a platform that uses a lossy stream codec to share the work of underpaid musicians...but come on.  Come. On. You can't keep the L and R stereo channels straight?  

Quick Edit: I found no section for the Xbox One app so this was my best guess as to where to post this.

1 Reply

Hey @fr0ntfacingchad,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

It is currently not possible to set the audio output to stereo on the Xbox Spotify app. But we have an idea proposal for this feature. You can vote on it here.

In the meantime you can try changing the Xbox sound output to mono and see if this brings any difference.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Suggested posts