Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[windows] Spotify Installation Folder

Solved!

[windows] Spotify Installation Folder

Seriously... Get your stuff together Spotify Team.

I mean really, who had the ridiculous idea to dump all the related Spotify program files into the "C\Users\"-folder?

It should be instead "C:\Program Files\Spotify"-folder or at least "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Loca\Spotify\"-folder. One of those, NOT the above.

Whoever wrote the installation/update routine must have been on drugs or something.

I mean, I have seen a lot of stupid and ridiculous crap during my time with computers the past 20 years but that has to be at least in the top 10 worst development choices I've ever seen in my entire life.

Did you guys (the developers) ever think about the consequences this might have when you dump your files blindly into the <user> folder without even creating a unique subfolder?

What about other programs, god forbid, who do the same nonsense and by coincidence have files with the same names and overwrite your stuff?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi,

As it turned out, this is an issue only if your Windows username (and thus, the user folder) has a space in its name. The same is true for the autostart parameter resetting itself with every start.

I've gone through the whole bug reporting process with Spotify support and they've acknowledged this as a valid bug. Hopefully a fix is in the works.

Till then, a workaround is to simply copy all relevant files and folders from c:\users\ to %appdata%\roaming\spotify\. Saves the trouble of uninstall-reinstall, but not that elegant though.

I guess we just have to wait this out.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

So is this going to happen every single time now when a new update gets applied?

Is it going to paste all the program files into the wrong folder structure every 2-4 weeks when a new update is out, forcing me to uninstall, delete all local content and reinstall from scratch because the updating mechanism is broken?

Hm, I just checked my C:\Users folder and it's clean, no Spotify-related files are in there. My Spotify files are located in "AppData\Local\Spotify" and "AppData\Roaming\Spotify"

I'm on Win 8.1 x64.

Hi,

This is happening on Windows 7 x64.

Still a thing with the latest 1.0.11.134...

Now I'm on Windows 10 x64 already and this still is happening with every auto-update.

This... is getting ridiculous. I'm seriously thinking the development team is incompetent or doesn't take a look at the board at all.

Once again I've to uninstall that crappy piece of software, clean the C:\Users\ folder manually and reinstall the latest version from the full installer instead.

I swear, the next time the friggin update popup appears in the top bar I'm going to uninstall Spotify right away and install the latest version from the full installer instead because the development team doesn't give a crap about fixing the update issue.

Normally this should be voted on with the wallet, a.k.a. canceling the subscription until it gets fixed.

Marked as solution

Hi,

As it turned out, this is an issue only if your Windows username (and thus, the user folder) has a space in its name. The same is true for the autostart parameter resetting itself with every start.

I've gone through the whole bug reporting process with Spotify support and they've acknowledged this as a valid bug. Hopefully a fix is in the works.

Till then, a workaround is to simply copy all relevant files and folders from c:\users\ to %appdata%\roaming\spotify\. Saves the trouble of uninstall-reinstall, but not that elegant though.

I guess we just have to wait this out.

Oh well, my windows account has a space in inside and it's been migrated from the Windows 7 installation over to the Windows 10 installation, so that's why it still occurs.

Thanks szobanov, that gives me at least the "hope" that they are going to fix it in a few months or a year from now (seems valid considering how long it took for them to bring back some of the other features they temporarily removed). xD

The problem STILL exists, what is the Spotify team actually doing with their time? Not responding to community problems that is for sure.

I am on Windows 7 64-bit at the moment. Problem has been there for a loooong time now, something that really should not be hard to fix. Just unpack files to %TEMP% or similar and get it done.

spotify_barf.png

why dont they just install it like any other program. users still need to login touse the service i am not sure what they think they are accomplishing with this retarded process.

This is not true.

Our Enterprise Environment as alpha-numeric usernames without spaces and Spotify always installs to AppData\Roaming which is the worst place for offline cached music if you have roaming profiles in a windows active directory environment and the computer syncs the profile with each login/-out.

Suggested posts