Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify goes down when ads are played

Spotify goes down when ads are played

Hey guys! Just want touch base here. 

We're aware that some Dutch and German users are finding the app is crashing after certain adverts.

I can assure you all we're looking into a solution. I'll update you in this thread when more information is available.

14 Replies

I am also from Germany - and it still doesn´t work. Spotify is launching only offline. After reconnecting it worked a couple of minutes until the mcdonalds-advertisment started - it crashed immediately. Can this advertisement be the initiator of the crash?

@Finder1978 wrote:

I am also from Germany - and it still doesn´t work. Spotify is launching only offline. After reconnecting it worked a couple of minutes until the mcdonalds-advertisment started - it crashed immediately. Can this advertisement be the initiator of the crash?

Someone else did point out the advertisements appear to be causing the crash, I have passed this onto the community staff.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Ive had the same problem. This fixed it:

Quote from Optikk: Blocking server de.slogantrend.de via /etc/hosts file does the trick. I can now see a wrongly displayed McDonalds ad (which always seems to be the first ad do appear at the moment) but Spotify works.

Source: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/OSX-Mac-Spotify-won-t-start/m-p/285928#M8573

Addition: You can use Little Snitch or Hands Off! to block the domain easier with a mac. Users from outside Germany (or better the germans too) better block slogantrend.de so nothing can go wrong.

Hi again! I'm just popping in to say this should be sorted for you all now. 

If any of you continue to have an issues please let me know. 

Until then, enjoy your music. 

It's still crashing for me. I'm from the United States. It crashes during the McDonalds ad and during the JCPenneys ad. I use the online player and I used to be able to refresh the page and I could get the ad to finish and then go back to playing my music. Now, not even that is working. I've done this one the servers Firefox, Chrome, and Safari. :[

@rawrafied - This issue has been reported to Spotify, keep an eye on this web player topic for updates. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Spotify has crashed for me after the Playstation ad is played (on an iPad mini in the UK)

Hey there.

i just clicked on 'watch video' to have 30minutes without any ads.

the video opened but its not running and now spotify is stuck in this black screen, where the ad time stream isnt running...

i dont want to delete spotify cause i dont want to lose my playlist 😕

okay. just did an update in the appstore and that solved the problem.

Hello, my spotify keeps being able to play one song (Dutch version btw), play a spotify-premium add and then thereafter playing a commercial with for start the same thumbnail, no sound is played, then the thumbnail dissapears but theplaying-bar is still rolling, and also being able to pause/play, and after the 15 second break, you can't start anything at all, so you can't do pretty much anything. Is this something i can solve, or is spotify-add just broke?

Hey there,

This issue is not limited to Germany.  I'm here in the US, reporting that it does indeed crash here too- though on the anti-meth ads (which seem to be the only ads I get).  It really is annoying; every second song is followed by an ad which freezes spotify altogether.

Basically, I have to close and reopen Spotify after every other song!

Really, very annoying.  We may be using only your "free version," but at least make it work right if you want to give us ads.  If you don't fix your ad freeze problem, you are shooting yourselves in the foot.

FIX IT.

Same problem in the UK.....after every advert, Spotify freezes. Yes I'm using the free version, but the penalty for that is the ads.....if they cause Spotify to crash, then I'll stop using Spotify. and definitely won't be paying for it.

I live in Australia and also have this issue of spotify freezing after ads are played. 

It has been going on for the past week, i have uninstalled and reinstalled the program thinking there may be a glitch in the installation or update, nothing has changed. I have to close and re-open spotify every 2 songs, so frustrating. 

Could we get an ETA, or someone to trouble shoot how to fix this issue? Thank you

I'm in the U.S. and am having the same problem.  After every add, the music stops.  I keep having to close and restart.  Please let me know if there is a way to fix this.  I have had so many problems with Spotify that as soon as something new is available in my country, I will be switching regardless.  

Suggested posts