Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify crashes a lot since Lollipop update

Spotify crashes a lot since Lollipop update

Hi,

I'm hoping this is a wider issue and not just my specific Nexus 5's problem to bear, however I couldn't see another recent thread...

My Spotify frequently just crashes. In addition to that, sometimes when I turn it on, the screen goes black (and you can see the green lines of the Spotify UI) however the text just won't load - for like 4 or 5 restarts of Spotify. Lastly, when it IS playing, sometimes it stutters, and you feel like it's close to crashing!

If anyone knows the solution, I'd be very grateful! I have a Nexus 5 running Lollipop... I didn't have these problems before the update, although I have had some overheating issues with the device in the past.

Thanks!

16 Replies

Please read the guide linked below for details on the most common issues and how to fix them. I recommend following the clean install section

[GUIDE] How to fix common issues for Spotify on Android

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Hi, 

I'm having the same issue as above. I'm using a nexus 7 (2013) on lollipop and Spotify keeps crashing and stuttering when streaming.

This occurs both on and offline. I have performed a clean uninstall (background folders and all) and it still hasn't solved the problem. 

Any help would be great thanks.

Hi,

I'm also having the same problem but I'm using HTC one m7. My phone actually restarts or crashes completely when using spotify and this since I upgraded to lollipop.

It gets quite annoying getting the phone to restart 2,3 or more times in a row even after waiting for the phone to fully load. I have checked and made sure that enough resources are available in case maybe they weren't. I shut down most apps that may be running in the background that aren't needed and still when I open spotify it crashes.

I appreciate anyone knowing the solution to this or possible workaround if any or hope spotify knows what the problem is and releases an update soon fixing this issue

@mstevens951991 wrote:
Hi,    I'm having the same issue as above. I'm using a nexus 7 (2013) on lollipop and Spotify keeps crashing and stuttering when streaming.   This occurs both on and offline. I have performed a clean uninstall (background folders and all) and it still hasn't solved the problem.    Any help would be great thanks.

@andrcast wrote:
Hi, I'm also having the same problem but I'm using HTC one m7. My phone actually restarts or crashes completely when using spotify and this since I upgraded to lollipop. It gets quite annoying getting the phone to restart 2,3 or more times in a row even after waiting for the phone to fully load. I have checked and made sure that enough resources are available in case maybe they weren't. I shut down most apps that may be running in the background that aren't needed and still when I open spotify it crashes.I appreciate anyone knowing the solution to this or possible workaround if any or hope spotify knows what the problem is and releases an update soon fixing this issue

Hi both, have you tried the steps mentioned in the thread here: [PLEASE READ] Android 5.x Lollipop - Distorted playback, sound levels fluctuating or pauses etc...

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Have the same issue on my new LG G3 s (immediately upgraded to Lollipop).

The app stops playing when im using other apps or when the screen is out.

Did disable the use of NuPlayer, but with no effect whatsover.

Also, I dont know whether it is related, but the widget does not work either, it only opens spotify.

Yes, I've been having the same problem for ages too since the Lollipop update on a HTC7.
I've tried all the uninstall/clean cache/delete folders options and the problem still persists.

Only way to get spotify back to something usable is to restart the device, but the app eventually crashes.
This is making the app pretty much unusable, starting to think the only soluction is to switch to Google music.

Hi, did you resolve this issue?

I have a LG G3s too and the same problem.

Thank you

This is how I got around the issue:

It appears the problem on my phone (a Google Nexus 5) stemmed from the system usage. If you go into your "settings > Apps >" and then scroll across to "Running" you see see how much of your device memory is being used by apps.

Apparently (tech people tell me) when that usage spikes, i.e. there is 0MB of RAM free, Spotify (and apps in general) crash.

Again apparently the usage spikes are/were due to a bug in Android which made my phone's memory get used and never get cleared. 

The way to fix this: restart your phone every morning (this clears the memory).

p.s. I'm not technical at all, so I'm just going on what I was told by my techie friends. Recently I've not been restarting the phone as much and it's been fine, so maybe the Android bug (if it was a bug) is fixed.

Nope, no resolution, have checked a few times with the latest app updates but still no solution.
Restarting the device every morning isn't a solution either as I don't need to do this with any other app, and I haven't found this to me a reliable solution anyway, Spotify crashes at some point during the day anyway and still only way to fix it is to hard reboot the device.

Have reluctantly cancelled my Spotify subscription and am now using Google Music with no problems.

Hey,
I did not resolve the issue for real. I did notice that it becomes better after you kill all apps, restart the phone and only start the apps you want to have open (spotify and a browser or something like that).Rumour is that android has a memory leak somewhere, which causes that the phones memory is not cleared properly, causing the memory to get full. If you are out of memory, android will kill background apps (like spotify) in order to create space. Restarting the phone will clear its memory.Dont know more than that, sorry.

Exact same issue here with a new Nexus 6 on the latest Android build. Spotify worked perfectly on my Windows Phone, but on this Android, I'm wondering why I bother paying for the service (I'm premium).

Sigh, ...shouldn't be this hard.

Starts to play, plays for a random period of time, then on a song, stops at between 12 - 15 seconds into the song. Lights up a notification on the screen. Restarting Spotify sometimes helps. Restarting the phone sometimes helps, but is drawn out.

...and it makes Spotify near useless when I use it most - during my commutes to/from work... 😞 Tough to justify futzing about with my phone while driving..."Oh, sorry Officer. I wasn't texting, just trying to restart Spotify..."

FWIW, I've read the troubleshooting guide, tried the suggestions and no joy.

Is there a solution?

Are people having still problems with the spotify crashing under lollipop?

I recently bought Asus MeMo Pad 10 and updated it to lollipop. Tried playing spotify with it, but it crashes when selecting songs and when playing on background... It happens a lot I might say.

I updated my Samsung Galaxy Alpha to lollipop (5.0.2) a few backs. Had no issues. This week there is an spotify update and ever since I have these exact same symptoms. Any cure yet?

I am unaware of a solution, sadly. I gave up on Android and went back to a Windows Phone. Spotify works fine for me again there. Might be worth pinging Spotify directly, too. Feedback on the app in the store, etc.

Removing spotify, restarting my phone and then installing it again seems to have worked. Should have done some basic things first.. maybe it helps for you.

Suggested posts