Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Linux] Fedora RPM package for F17-F19

Solved!

[Linux] Fedora RPM package for F17-F19

Current method to install the spotify rpm is based on the rpmfusion lpf-spotify-client package. Basically, this automates the process of downloading, building and installing a spotity rpm based on the official Debian packages.

EDIT: Bug reported (page 19), temporary work-around published.

EDIT: New solution based on the rpmfusion lpf-spotify-client package. Old  method deprecated but still available.

EDIT: updated for new upstream release: 0.9.4.183.g644e24e.428-2

EDIT: Solution updated for 0.9.1.55.

EDIT: Downgrading procedure to 0.8.4 published

EDIT: Update header to include F19

EDIT: Solution updated for 0.9.0.133

EDIT: updating link

EDIT: new solution for 0.8.8 published.

223 Replies

The warning stems from a new check in the wrapper script. I added because some users had problems accessing audio devices without being member of the audio group.

Seems that audio access is fine in F18 for users with default setup (pulseaudio). Perhaps best to just remove this test.
 You can do it yourself by patching  the /usr/bin/spotify script. Otherwise, stay tuned for an update.

I modified and patched the script (/usr/bin/spotify) and the message has disappeared (of course).. Thanks..

I have updated the 0.9.0 spec . Fixes:

• The bad check for autdio group membership in wrapper (see above).
  • Updating version info in wrapper.
  • Fixing a missing link to licenses.xhtml used in  Help|Show Licenses command.

The instructions are the same, follow Solution link from top of this thread. New release:  0.9.0.133.gd18ed58.259-2

It might be a temporary problem, but...

Getting https://github.com/leamas/spotify-make/archive/fcc05c0a291847113894ad420b70b2e3f6b18ceb/spotify-make... to ./spotify-make-0.9.0.133.gd18ed58.259-fcc05c0.tar.gz
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100   161  100   161    0     0    226      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--   353
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:--  0:00:01 --:--:--     0
curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 503 Service Unavailable

I'll try agan later..

It works for me (TM)

All good.. It must have been a temporary issue..

Hey everyone,

Just want to install Spotify on my Fedora 18. Can't find a RPM anywhere. Why is there an Ubuntu package and no Fedora one?

If you follow the "Solution" link form the top of this thread you will find instructions how to build your own RPM.

Spotify only distributes a Debian package. While I think this is a bad idea, they are certainly not alone these days. Furthermore, their license terms prohibits re-distribution. That's why there's just instructions to build a rpm instead of a download link (see the sticky thread on LInux license terms). These license terms are an even worse idea, and quite uncommon for a company in Spotify's position. Let's hope they change their mind,

Not satisfying. I don't know how to build a RPM and I don't want to do it. Guess I'll have to wait. Thanks anyway.

Not that I find it hard to understand your position, not at all. That said, if waiting you'll have to wait until Spotify changes their license terms which probably doesn't happen overnight. It was actually quite recently they clarified those terms.

Also, you don't really have to know how to build a rpm to follow those instructions. Having used a terminal window a little certainly helps, though. In this 9-page thread no one has so far reported any problems building the rpm.

BTW: I'm not affiliated with Spotify in any way.

Downgrading to 0.8.4

At last, I've found the old 0.8.4 debian packages out there. This means that it's now possible to build 0.8.4 rpms for those preferring this version. The instructions to build are the same as in the solution, with one exception: the download of the spec file. For 0.8.,4 use

wget leamas.fedorapeople.org/spotify/0.8.4/spotify-client.spec

To downgrade instead of a plain install use e. g.,

$ rm -rf ~/.config/spotify ~/.cache/spotify
# yum remove spotify-client
# yum install \
     /home/leamas/rpmbuild/RPMS/i686/spotify-client-0.8.4.103.g9cb177b.260-5.fc18.i686.rpm

Where the last line is similar but not the same as for you

leamas,

I also get:

Getting https://github.com/leamas/spotify-make/archive/fcc05c0a291847113894ad420b70b2e3f6b18ceb/spotify-make... to ./spotify-make-0.9.0.133.gd18ed58.259-fcc05c0.tar.gz
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- 0:00:07 --:--:-- 0
curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 500 Internal Server Error

I have tried several times.

Tried again after a few minutes and it now works. There is something tempramental about that link.

works well on fedora 19 alpha. thanks for the gret work.

Fedora 19 beta installation worked perfectly on my 2 machines. I don't get the crash when exiting like I did on F18 anymore either. Until Spotify shows Fedora some love too, I hope you keep up the good work!

Working perfectly with 0.9.0.133 on Fedora 18. THANK YOU leamas!!!!

New ersion 0.9.1.55.gbdd3b79.203 is available upstream and has broken the the package generation. Basically, this is good ( new better version AND they have not removed the old version as soon as the new is out). However, I need some time to fix this. Stay tuned.

Solution updated for 0.9.1.55. New release: 0.9.1.55.gbdd3b79.203-1

0.9.1.55 on 3.9.5-201.fc18.x86_64.. all good !!

Thanks..

spotify-client-0.9.1.55.gbdd3b79.203-1

Works great on Fedora 19 beta x86_64 too.

Thank leamas!

Suggested posts