Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[OSX][Mac] Spotify won't start

[OSX][Mac] Spotify won't start

Hello everyone. We are aware that, since the latest update, some OS X users are having trouble starting Spotify.

We're looking into a solution and will update you in this thread when more information is available.

Community Ergo Sum
49 Replies

Hello! I think i can help maybe.

Using latest Spotify release on 10.8.2 with latest Java update (updated today) and flash player update (updated today as well).

I figured Spotify would crash right after the first flash ad is loaded. The first frame of the ad is visible, then Spotify crashes without any error message.

I used Little Snitch to try and block the respective ad-server - which worked. Spotify runs perfectly now.

I also figured it was only the first ad (i think a McDonalds ad) which made Spotify crash, because it still worked after i allowed the second, different flash ad to appear.

Maybe you can prove my point or prove me wrong, I'd really like to know if it's the advert causing the problem, because if so I am willing to buy Spotify Unlimited.

Please respond fast! 🙂

Edit: Blocking server de.slogantrend.de via /etc/hosts file does the trick. I can now see a wrongly displayed McDonalds ad (which always seems to be the first ad do appear at the moment) but Spotify works.

I can confirm what optikk wrote. Spotify works perfectly until the Mac Donalds Ad for the "Currywurst" appears on the right side. After one second Spotify shuts down without any error message. It takes longer than usually to start the app again and I always need to re-login.

Description

Spotify shuts down when the Mac Donalds Ad appears.

A more detailed description, using numbered steps

1. I opened Spotify

2. I started a song

3. Mac Donalds Ad appears

4. Spotify shuts down

5. Restart takes longer than usual

6. nedd to reenter my username and password.

What I expected to happen

Spotify to work.

What actually happened

It shuts down.

My Operating System

OS X 10.7.5

My Spotify version

E.g. 0.8.5.1356

My internet provider and country

Kabel BW, Germany

My username

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

No.

Brilliant work optikk.

Same currywurst ad here.

Solution required a small change. In my case Wireshark shows the request going to plain slogantrend.de - perhaps the ad code doesn't use the de subdomain because my locale is set to english?

In any case the problem was immediately fixed.

The irony is this doesn't even seem to be the adserver. I'm still seeing ads. Google suggests it's just some darn market research service, presumably sending some trivial marketing data and/or identifier. How can THAT cause a crash?! Doesn't speak for the architecture of the app...

I have experienced an almost identical problem to the one listed here. However the Spotify program will stop running regardless of any ad (McDonald's currywurst or otherwise) and any lack thereof. This issue has been occuring over the course of yesterday and today. My Spotify was updated yesterday, and this problem followed suit. I log-in, attempt to start a playlist and then Spotify closes. I log-in again, attempt to start music once more and Spotify closes. There were no error messages. However since the program didn't close immediately upon start-up (opening to the "What's New" selection), I decided to enter an artist into the search bar - which closed the program as soon as results appeared. After that I tried to skim "What's New" to see if the problem persisted (and it did).

Suspecting that the update might just be having issues, I skimmed the Community Board for a problem and found no topic concerning this. Spotify was also posting that they were running fine, so I continued to the Help page and reviewed any topic that loosely described it as well. I did not find any clear answers. What the Help page did suggest for systems operating with Windows Vista was restarting the computer. After doing so the program ran smoothly the rest of the evening.

This evening, however, Spotify exhibited the same problems. I immediately restarted my computer, but it made no difference. After that I used the troubleshooter, and when that failed I uninstalled/re-installed Spotify. This resulted in Spotify running smoothly (twice) temporarily. It reappeared again shortly after for no apparent reason. It still closes regardless of any ad popping up (or not) in the window. At this point I returned to the Community Board and Help page to see if there was anything remotely related to mine. I overlooked this thread at first because I was not having problems starting the program, but rather keeping it from closing after interaction with it. The Help page remained unchanged since yesterday. Spotify was still shown as having no listed technical difficulties.

At this point I decided to contact the Customer Service Team, to which I received a reply that suggested I visit the Community Board and Help page. I replied to it stating that I would post the situation - as suggested - in this thread. And thusly I am posting now after reading the given answers to this problem. The aforementioned McDonald's ad has appeared a handful of times (out of a couple dozen; and the absence of an ad appears about as often), but my flash player and Java have been updated prior to this occuring. I would rather not download something like Little Snitch or Wireshark until feedback is given (And I will explain why).

Over the past twenty minutes I described the situation to my wife (who also has Spotify) and she let me log onto hers to see if this problem would continue if another person were logged in on my computer. It didn't seem to affect the program whatsoever after a few log-outs/log-ins. I then attempted to switch back to mine and the problem continued. As of now I am back on hers and it works fine. Not a single ad pops up (however she has Premium so that may be the reason why). The program continues to run without incidence. If I need to download/install a program to then I will certainly do so.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I also had to re-register after the re-installation process, hence the 2-hour blip of an existence.

I'm an OSX user and I was using a 2011 version of Spotify until today. I thought an update would help, but it seems that the problem has nothing to do with the version. I suspect that the problem has something to do with an advertisment in the ad bar.

Since I am not coding literate, I have no idea how this could affect the stability of Spotify, but it seems the only logical explanation.  Could this be? 

I'm not closed-minded to the idea that I may be wrong, or that it just may be some other form of bug or minor issue. As I stated before sometimes the program just runs and runs when logged into mine until I want to search or listen to something else and then - BAM!!! - Spotify closes. As for the 2011 version that was what I WAS running until Wednesday and it worked perfectly fine.

Hi, I've just tried searching for a song and experienced the exact same thing you are describing: the song appears in the search list but as soon as I try to listen to it, Spotify shuts down. Furthermore if I then try to reopen Spotify, it takes forever to load. (I just saw that one of the posts in this forum is by a German person: could it be that Germany is blocking Spotify? I'm also in Germany)

To my best knowledge no they are not blocking Spotify. However Germany (as is the woe to multiple other countries as can be observed on sites such as IMVU) has just as much a problem with what rights the sites have for what music is accessible to which nations. But Spotify does make up for that feature with being able to share music, I suppose.

But yes that is part of my problem (at least when I log-in under my username), only it's not limited to that. This occured with the entry of artists and typo'd entries as well.

I tried deinstalling and reinstalling like a million times but it still doesn't work. 
So pleeeease Spotify, tell me what to do. 

I need my music back!

Blocking slogantrend.de with Hands Off! (similar to Little Snitch) like Optikk wrote in the second post (http://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/OSX-Mac-Spotify-won-t-start/m-p/285928#M8573) fixed the issue for me. Now my Spotify is working like usual without shutdowns!

Still no resoultion for this?? Spotify won't start on my macbook, at all. It crashes before it even launches. Nothing to do with ad's. OS 10.5.8.

@ApeMummy wrote:

Still no resoultion for this?? Spotify won't start on my macbook, at all. It crashes before it even launches. Nothing to do with ad's. OS 10.5.8.

The most recent version of the client will not run on 10.5, have a read at this announcement. If you can update to 10.6, I would strongly advise it.

Try uninstalling the client, manually removing all Spotify files and then installing the package from this link. Unfortunately, this client may auto-update to the non-working version again, I have passed this onto the community team and I am still awating their reply.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Not sure if this is a different problem, but Spotify still would not launch, even with an old version of Spotify that had been working before.  Also, I think the update to OS X 10.6 might require different hardware as well as software, so...

I guess I'll just have to stop using Spotify.

I am having the same issue. 10.5.8. Spotify just won't start anymore. I am so sad. I pay for my Spotify and up until now it's worked perfectly on my computer at work and home and on my iPhone. I really do not want to update my software on my laptop just for this one program but if I don't, Spotify at home will be totally useless. I don't even think I can update at this point.

@Kyzen wrote:

Not sure if this is a different problem, but Spotify still would not launch, even with an old version of Spotify that had been working before.  Also, I think the update to OS X 10.6 might require different hardware as well as software, so...

I guess I'll just have to stop using Spotify.

I have updated my instructions on how to get a working client here

Still trying to get an official work around from the Spotify team 😉

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

SO ... Spotify now no longer works on Mac OS 10.5 ... what are we to do?   Spotify have had loads of time to sort this out why haven't they done anything about it?     They must know about the problem so why no action?   How do I download an earlier version of Spotify that will work on my mac?     At the moment they've got my money but can't deliver the service  ... There must be thousands in the same situation.     PLEASE HELP!!!

Hi, I have a Mac and my operating system is 10.5.8, I have uninstalled Spotify and reinstalled it so many times I have lost count! I've been a premium user for a longtime now and use Spotify everyday.

Is there a solution to this problem?

What can I do to get it fixed!?

A friend of mine and I have experienced the same problem with start today...

Can we please get an answer and fix from spotify to this problem or they will loose a lot of customers!!

Indeed. Hurry up, I miss my Spotify.  😞

It's been a week now.

Suggested posts