Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't open - 'application not responding'

Solved!

Spotify won't open - 'application not responding'

About a couple days ago my spotify decided it wasn't going to open. I click on the application, it bounces up and down but doesn't open. when I right click it, it comes up with 'application not responding'. I've just tried removing it and reinstalling it. the box with spotify in it appears and the spotify icon comes up again but still doesn't open. How can i fix this?

217 Replies

Worked for me as well! Wish Spotify would have given us this tip/fixed it.

I am having the same exact issue on an iMac 10.6.8. Spotify wouldn't open at all. I followed these instructions and now Spotify is working, though very slowly and poorly. Album information will not open. I basically cannot search or bounce around, but I can play my pre-made playlists before this last update. 

Are you phasing 10.6.8 out? Could following updates contain warnings about system requirements? Just a thought. 

Hi everyone! Just an FYI, I've merged a few similar threads together here.That way we can discuss this in one space.

For now please post here with your OSX and Spotify app version if you're still having trouble. Soon as I have an update I'll post here. 

Thanks guys!

Description

Unable to start spotifuggle on MAC with Airport (internet connection) turned ON.

A more detailed description, using numbered steps

1. I tried to start spotifuggle as normal (i.e. with wifi internet connection)

2. Spotify icon just 'bounces' on the taskbar. App doesn't open

3. I then turned my wifi connection off and started Spotify.

4. Spotify App started OK

5. Turned my wifi connection back on and able to use Spotify normally.

What I expected to happen

I expect to be able to start Spotify without having to turn off my internet connection

What actually happened

Spotify will only start if I turn off my internet connection first.

My Operating System

OS X 10.6.8

My Spotify version

My internet provider and country

Sky UK

My username

kemobeaver

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

no

@kemobeaver wrote:

Description

Unable to start spotifuggle on MAC with Airport (internet connection) turned ON.

1. I tried to start spotifuggle as normal (i.e. with wifi internet connection)

2. Spotify icon just 'bounces' on the taskbar. App doesn't open

3. I then turned my wifi connection off and started Spotify.

4. Spotify App started OK

5. Turned my wifi connection back on and able to use Spotify normally.

I expect to be able to start Spotify without having to turn off my internet connection

What actually happened

Spotify will only start if I turn off my internet connection first.

My Operating System

OS X 10.6.8

My Spotify version

Sky UK

My username

kemobeaver

no

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

I am going to merge your post into the main topic about this issue, it is a known issue which is being investigated! 

Thanks for the details!

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Same boat.

Mac OSX 10.6.8

Spotify simply will not load up at all. Was working okay before the latest update. I've tried everything I can think of.

Force quitting, uninstall / reinstall, restarting. Any combination doesn't seem to help.

I'm having the same problem. Posted it already in another thread but my version is mac 10.6.8 as well and couldn't open/start spotify, the icon just bounces up and .. I deinstalled it and reinstalled it several times without success.Also deinstalled flash player since i read that in another thread.

Found something to download for an older mac version 10.5... so now i'm having Version 0.8.5.1333.g822e0de8 now which works!! BUT the application feed doesn't work (it says "missing dependencies").. it's an old spotify but at least I can listen to music... Is there a solution for Mac 10.6.8 users to this problem? I'm afraid to update my version.....

Did you try installing the current version with internet access turned off? This seems to be a successful work-around.

Same problem here. App won't open from dock.

Mac 10.7.5

Same issue as everyone else.

OS 10.6.8, and whatever the newest Spotify app version is.

I hadn't restarted Spotify since the last update was available. Last night I restarted my computer, new Spotify wouldn't open. Spotify icon in dock would bounce as if it was loading, but there was never an interface. I uninstalled twice (deleting Spotify files from Library directory), reinstalled, and it still doesn't work. After the second reinstall, the interface opened on restart, but when I tried to select a song it crashed again.

Hi everyone - If you haven't done so already please do a complete reinstallation following the steps here:

• Make sure that Spotify is no longer running (Spotify » Quit Spotify).
  • Manually delete these folders:
    • ~/Library/Caches/com.spotify.Client
    • ~/Library/Application Support/Spotify
  • Delete the Spotify application in the Applications folder.
  • (optional) It might be best to restart you computer at this point.
  • Reinstall Spotify (download).

*Please be sure to follow that second step and delete the ~/Library/Caches/com.spotify.Client folder. 

Let us know how that works for you. Thanks!

I'm having the same exact issues as you. Any luck?

I got it to work using the turn off wi-fi fix. Is this how I'm going to have to open Spotify from now on!? I use it every day....

Similar issue, although if I let it go long enough (3-5 minutes) it eventually opens. I can't use the wifi trick since I need to be vpn'd into work and since spotify hogs so much bandwidth I need to quit out when I after to video conference for work, which is often).

I won't do the reinstall because I refuse to install the latest version. I'd rather keep my current piece of crap (.8.8.450) than risk the crappier piece of crap that is .9. Out of the frying pan, into the fire. And I am a premium member.

OSX 10.7.5

Spotify: .8.8.450

same problem as everyone else and the wifi trick works for me too. what did you put in this update?

Having same issue as everyone else once I restarted Spotify and it tried to download whatever the newest version is. Won't load the app, icon just bounces in the dock for a bit before freezing up.

My MacBook Pro is running version 10.7.5

Like another commenter, I don't seem to have the Library files suggested for deletion upon uninstalling the old version.

The suggested work-around of turning off wifi didn't work for me.

Same problem here. This is upsetting and frustrting since I am using the premium version so I am paying for seomthing that does not work at all.

I am on MacOsX 10.7.5

Maybe this can be useful for you... if I start from the terminal I can look at the messages from the application, I see a long list of messages regarding playlist sync and diff , and many deadlock warnings... like the following:

20:39:33.660 E [watchdog.cpp:175 ] Deadlock detected (Thread: gui)
20:40:07.911 E [watchdog.cpp:195 ] The deadlock was a lie! (gui, 38245)
20:40:07.938 3 [playlist_be_pl4_context.h:1449 ] [spotify:user:1226530081:playlist:6WPoqDlxuJyopeVLtZYPIw] Delta-updated to revision 24,4be0a798b179cf81ab631cfa2b02a4056c41f87e (no new changes)
20:40:07.940 3 [playlist_be_pl4_context.h:1449 ] [spotify:user:kingwig:playlist:74Ip6ZuSyApf36acmVCoU9] Delta-updated to revision 7091,5eadd3e33cd4bae787188ba0695ff0ca5a37522d (no new changes)
20:40:07.942 3 [playlist_be_pl4_context.h:1449 ] [spotify:user:1226530081:playlist:45feztjTQRdBx0h1fzJcNd] Delta-updated to revision 2,a6d5928889bac2f3e3445310f532ae85aa05e501 (no new changes)
20:40:12.660 E [watchdog.cpp:175 ] Deadlock detected (Thread: gui)
20:40:46.591 E [watchdog.cpp:195 ] The deadlock was a lie! (gui, 37932)
20:40:50.659 E [watchdog.cpp:175 ] Deadlock detected (Thread: gui)
20:42:41.656 E [watchdog.cpp:175 ] Deadlock detected (Thread: gui)
20:43:12.310 E [watchdog.cpp:195 ] The deadlock was a lie! (gui, 34655)
20:43:16.656 E [watchdog.cpp:175 ] Deadlock detected (Thread: gui)
20:43:47.908 E [watchdog.cpp:195 ] The deadlock was a lie! (gui, 35253)
20:43:52.655 E [watchdog.cpp:175 ] Deadlock detected (Thread: gui)

Please get this fixed. It is affecting too many users to be acceptable.

ah sorry forgot to mention, I tried all the given solutions, removed cache and application support folders, uninstalled, rebooted, everything.

When will I be able to use my (paid) account again?

This worked for me...thanks Meredith!

-Bill

Hi everyone - If you haven't done so already please do a complete reinstallation following the steps here:

• Make sure that Spotify is no longer running (Spotify » Quit Spotify).
  • Manually delete these folders:
    • ~/Library/Caches/com.spotify.Client
    • ~/Library/Application Support/Spotify
  • Delete the Spotify application in the Applications folder.
  • (optional) It might be best to restart you computer at this point.
  • Reinstall Spotify (download).

*Please be sure to follow that second step and delete the ~/Library/Caches/com.spotify.Client folder. 

Let us know how that works for you. Thanks!

Description

Spotify no longer works.  The app "opens," but there is no UI and no way to interact with the app, let alone play music.

1. Start Spotify.

2. Menu appears at top of screen, but no UI.

3. The End

To be able to use Spotify to make use of my $10 per month subscription.

What actually happened

App opened but no UI.

My Operating System

My Spotify version

I tried going to the Help on my Spotify menu to get the version, but no luck.  I have no idea what version, but I just downloaded it (after trying to uninstall and reinstall about 5 times) today May 1, 2013

Comcast USA

My username

No, there's nothing to show.  Spotify only opens the menu anymore, but no UI to speak of.

Suggested posts