Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Add support for Google ChromeCast

Will you be adding support to the ChromeCast that Google announced today? Would be great to be able to easily stream music from all my devices to my receiver and tv.

Please see the Api information here: https://developers.google.com/cast/

Update: implementing ChromeCast is superior to using the Chrome browser plugin to move a tab with the Spotify web interface to your TV for multiple reasons. Most importantly:

- You can stream higher fidelity

- You can stream from every device, not only from a computer/laptop

- You can control from multiple devices (so if I leave the room my wife can control Spotify with her phone)

If implemented correctly this would match the functionality of Sonos for a much lower price.

Update February 4th 2014: Okay, so Google has released the SDK now. Please start working on the functionality or at the very minimum give an update to the status...

Update February 19th 2014: 2,000 kudos, hundreds of replies (with more than a handful of cancelations). Apparently Spotify Germany has confirmed Chromecast support is coming. An update would be nice

Update March 24th 2014: 2,500 kudos and still no update. Cancelled my subscription today. Sorry, but if you don't listen to your paying customers we will have to speak with our wallets.

Updated: 2015-10-22

In collaboration with Google, we’re thrilled to announce one of your most requested features here in The Spotify Idea Exchange is here. Spotify now works with your Chromecast.

With Chromecast, listening at home is easy. Simply plug in and cast music directly from your phone or tablet. Play, skip, browse and search using the Spotify app--all Spotify users will get the on demand experience on Chromecast. Oh, and feel free to make calls, watch a video or play games - the music will keep playing. Even if your battery runs out.

To learn more about how you can listen at home, head over to www.spotify.com/at-home.

Spotify on Chromecast from SpotifyCares on Vimeo.

Comments
christdw

I am thinking of cancelling my subscription because you are obviously a company that does not listen to your people.  5000+ kudos, hundreds of pages of comments, and no support?  This is kind of absurd.

Minkydave
It would be a good piece of functionality to introduce.
Andrews32

It would be great if people would contact some of the Android websites: Android Central, Droid Life, Android Police, etc. I've commented about this thread on Spotify posts of theirs, but they haven't done anything. I feel like if this got ANY public momentum, Spotify would be forced to at least respond why they treat their customers like dirt. 

Also, everyone should RATE THE SPOTIFY APP WITH 1 STAR and comment about this issue on the Play Store. People need to know before they start using Spotify. 

Even if Spotify fixed this tomorrow, it would be an absolute embarrassment this has gone on for a year with barely any response, and nothing of substance. This makes a mockery of the insipid customer "support" system they've invented that results in them cherry picking projects they want to work on and pretending they're actually listening. 

Spotify = the MySpace of music

simon87

Obviously you can't expect that Spotify implement all ideas on the basis of customer requests, but it is blatantly disrespectful not to engage and answer customers, and pretend that a hugely supported idea doesn't exist. I suggest that Spotify have the decency to adress the elephant in the room: 

http://community.spotify.com/t5/ideas/v2/ideapage/blog-id/ideaexchange/article-id/30095/page/1

127 pages of people requesting this feature, and 5100+ kudos and NO updates - that is just making a mockery of the community idea-system.

simon87

Since one huge thread doesn't convince Spotify, then maybe a billion threads about the same issue would make them acknowledge the requests. I made a thread that'll probly be answered with a standard "request already exists", i encourage everyone else in this thread to make a new thread as well 🙂 https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Answer-ideas-with-127-pages-and-5100-kudos-instead-of...

Philip_Hofman

I also would very much appreciate chromecast compatibility

Philip_Hofman

Chromecast cant be this hard to support, please implent this quick.

billw2010

Well if you scroll down the front page of the Spotify Ideas, you will see just one that got a positive answer and that is to bring Spotify to Windows Phone. An obvious idea that will likely gain spotify more customers and likely was already planned. Those are the only ideas they are interested in. I still check back every few weeks to see if they have done anything about the new interface or star system, but no. Apparently the number of customers they gain from having a "modern" and "edgy" ui is greater than the number they lose from cutting loved features and replacing them with half baked ones.

This is just a venting area to help improve retention by getting people to think they are being listened to.

jimmyjohn24

Lol this is a joke that Chromecast support does not exist for an app like Spotify. Everyone else is jumping on board and they are trying to tell me they have no plans yet. I find that hard to believe. 

Maybe they will randomly drop it on us by surprise soon. I just can't believe that it is not a priority. And I can't understand how it benefits them. Guess they are working on something for themselves. 

I especially bought a Chromecast to play Spotify on my speakers in the living room from my mobile phone. Since they blocked Spoticast that is not possible anymore. Chromecast connects with every appliance I have and Spotify Connect does not connect to anything. So there is no alternative.

I would bring my money to Spotify just "not right now".

I will go to Google Play Music. 

Bye.