Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Album Art for each Track in a playlist

View as Album List was a great feature. Based on comments I have seen on other forums, I am not the only one who thinks so. Please restore this feature.

Reasons:

1) Images are much easier to see than text. I have reached the age of reading glasses. Before this feature was removed, I could easily find songs / albums in playlists. Now I have to find my glasses beforehand!

2) Images are much more compelling and attractive than text. A picture tells a thousand words etc. The whole look and feel of Spotify is enhanced through the use of album images. Removing them seems like going against good user experience practice.

3) Nostalgia. Although I love Spotify and I firmly believe that subscription is the future of music, I still feel some nostalgia for "possessing" a collection of albums. Displaying album covers reinforces the feeling of having a collection of albums in a playlist.

Note that all three arguments apply equally to desktop and iPad versions of Spotify.

November 2013: Response to the comments from Spotify...

- There is no need for a cmd+G control. All playlists should always display the album cover.

- The Collections product was announced almost a year ago but there is no sign of it.

- A Collections product that simply displays the thousands of albums that I have ever listened to is not a viable solution in my opinion. I would need multiple collections (i.e.. playlists).

May-2014

I have created a new idea http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Display-Album-Cover-on-Your-Music-Songs/idi-p/791029 requesting cover art on your music (and playlists). Please give it your kudos.

July 2015

I note that Apple Music displays album art on playlists on all platforms.

Apple Music.png

Updated on 2021-06-24

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that this is now available on Android, iOS and Desktop. 

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
Radian

17 years ago the first mp3 audio players could be excused of providing us with text-only representations of our tracks - but better technological resources soon enabled the feeblest of gadgets to satisfy our visual needs.

17 years on, with unimaginable leaps in processing and graphical resources we're supposed to be satisfied with text-only playlists once more? Every track ever released that finds its way onto Spotify has a graphic representation that is often quicker and easier to recognise than a  text-only title - so please let's make this the priority wherever tracks are presented to users.

krov7

Please restore this. I can't stand looking at just text. I want to find the songs I'm in the mood for and recognize it by the album art. I can't be bothered to find the right song in text.

krov7

Removing this was the stupidest thing spotify ever did.

musically
This is the one reason I want to move to another service. This is a standard feature and I think it's crazy that they removed it. Who cares what their usage analytics say, this feature is important.
CSchwang

I really miss album artwork in Playlists. I just can't seem to find the songs I want to listen to, just by staring at a huge wall of text.

Sure, the new collections feature is nice, but it has a completely different focus (at least the way it is implemented right now):

Collections give contain all the music I have in one big blob. There's no way to filter.

That's what playlists allow you to do - they are a collection of songs, that I selected, because I think that for some reason they belong together.

nitetrax

please do restore album view for playlists. just having a list of hundreds of songs makes it impossible to find what you're looking for easily. the new album section in the 'your music' section is no good because it ignores playlist groupings.

Thormogal
I would like to see my album art when I am playing Spotify offline. Why do you remove such a great feature? Listen to the community! WE WANT IT BACK!!!
ritaconstancio

Yes, please restore this feature!!

Otherwise, I'm considering leaving spotify... I hate looking to a huge list without seeing the cd covers. It's not practical, a waste of time...

Hekker

Why don't Spotify list the main reasons for not bringing the album view under playlists back? If they do not think album view is needed under playlist it sort of goes against their desition to use cover view at all. Could you please list the most important reasons?

krov7

I

DO

NOT

WANT

A

LIST

OF

LINES

OF

TEXT! Give me an image so I can recognize my songs instead of staring at this black on white joke.ptemblem.jpg