Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Explicit Filter

Add a button that controls whether Explicit songs are played or not.  When it is off and you're listening to an album or playlist, the explicit songs are skipped. That way you can still listen to your favorite album or playlist when more impressionable members of the family (kids / parents) are around.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks!

It's great to hear music as the artist intended it to be heard, this means Spotify can sometimes include explicit content.

We recommend looking out for the EXPLICIT tag on any releases (E on the web player).
Note: Our explicit content tags are applied based on information we receive from rights-holders. This means we can’t guarantee all explicit content is marked as such. 

It's also now possible to use the Explicit content filter on mobile and tablet devices (more devices coming soon!). Right now, the setting is only for the individual account and device. If you do apply the setting on your phone, it doesn't filter explicit content for the same account on the desktop app. It also doesn’t apply if you use Spotify Connect to play to another device. For more information on this, check out this support article.

We'll keep you up-to-date if there's anything else to share!

Thanks
Comments
CGWaters
The silence from Spotify on this issue is deafening; the inaction inexcusable. Meanwhile, the press continues to take notice. See the last few statements in this Google Music review in USA Today, written by a former Spotify user who finally gave up waiting for this issue to be addressed. "Why I ditched Spotify for Google Music" http://usat.ly/1XFwXgb
rickburt

Everyone has there own opinion on this but if one has family or childeren over for afternoon tea and tiffin the last thing one wants is ofensive lyrics on a playlist that was meant to be enjoyable to everyone. Some words are offiensive, and there should be a mechanism in spotify to disable songs that contain them. To me spotify is a good service but it would be even better with this option built in to all versions.

strak99

Come on - this is ridiculous?  ADD THE FEATURE as an option and everyone is happy.

I just started as a listener and have is playing in the background on the top 50, my 4 year old son is dancing and all is great until F Bomb, Mother f bomb.  I spent a good 30 minutes looking for the setting to turn it off and low and behold it's not possible.

You lost me as a customer.  I see Pandora offers censoring from the message thread and I will go there.  It's a no brainer.  Listen to your customers.  I got my subscription from my telco - I will let them know it's not a family friendly option.

sunchipman

I don't understand why this hasn't already been implemented. Explicit songs are already marked as such, why not just have a settings toggle to skip those?

3 years of people asking, over 1,200 comments, over 3,500 kudos points and yet YOU STILL HAVENT bothered to implement an explicit filter. 

You guys must be one of the laziest, 'couldnt care less what the people ask for' companies Ive ever had the recent displeasure to deal with.

This is a joke.

In cancelling my subscription as Im fed up talking to a brick wall.

Goodbye spotify...

Syman

I'm not willing to give my money somebody who is not interested in me. And this is exactly how I am feeling. I will be more than happy to come back when this option will be available but for now - bye bye, my subscription is canceled. And it is really sad.....

g3invests
rwherr

Google Music is awesome and with Youtube Red, it's been even better.

Google music looks good but my price point is £5 - £6 a month, I don't want to spend £10 a month which many of them are now (although $10 does not = £10 - the UK often gets a bad deal on global pricing for some reason) ...

Dealler123
When will parent controls be added to Spotify?