Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Explicit Filter

Add a button that controls whether Explicit songs are played or not.  When it is off and you're listening to an album or playlist, the explicit songs are skipped. That way you can still listen to your favorite album or playlist when more impressionable members of the family (kids / parents) are around.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks!

It's great to hear music as the artist intended it to be heard, this means Spotify can sometimes include explicit content.

We recommend looking out for the EXPLICIT tag on any releases (E on the web player).
Note: Our explicit content tags are applied based on information we receive from rights-holders. This means we can’t guarantee all explicit content is marked as such. 

It's also now possible to use the Explicit content filter on mobile and tablet devices (more devices coming soon!). Right now, the setting is only for the individual account and device. If you do apply the setting on your phone, it doesn't filter explicit content for the same account on the desktop app. It also doesn’t apply if you use Spotify Connect to play to another device. For more information on this, check out this support article.

We'll keep you up-to-date if there's anything else to share!

Thanks
Comments
zotje

Hey Rory,

Thanks for responding.  Takes a lot of nerve to put your name out there as a representative of Spotify in this thread.

Just the other day, @jasonm16 floated the idea to contact Seth William Farbman, Spotify Head of Marketing @ https://www.facebook.com/sethfarbman . Now, suddenly, the first response from Spotify in over a year.  Coincidence, I think not! 

This idea has been the top 1 or 2 vote getter for the past 3 years, obviously voting doesn't do a thing.  Your response after a few people contacted the head of marketing seems to indicate that it is a much better tactic.

888margo888
Just how many more votes do you need to do something? 4 years and over
5000 votes. Blowin bubbles that evaporate. Who at spotify wrote this? Was
it a community member or staff? Listening to Google music right now.
jasonm16

Seth Farbman, Chief Marketing Officer (CMO), can be reached via email also at seth@spotify.com.

He was formerly at the Gap until 2015 so he should understand how public opinion can be an important thing to pay attention to.

The decision maker on this issue would be Seth or a close colleague of his, not way down the line.

888margo888

In one way I feel sorry for the Community moderators. They have chosen to support a company that has no respect for them or the people that they are trying to support. On the flip side I have no idea why after all these years they would choose to stand by a company that could give an explicit. The count for the explicit button is up to 5,654 - still a mere drop in the bucket compared to the "millions"  of listeners. Google play music is my alternative to Spotify and like all software it took a tiny bit to adjust but my playlists are coming along.

gwailo27

Outta here, I can't follow this post anymore it's just depressing.Never seen a company that has so little regard fot the people that pay them.

mpbeczek

Crazy you code in a exercise feature for gimmick but a feature like this which is a must is missing. Whats the point of family plan if you cant hide explicit songs from your kids or your account.  As usual marketing running the roost instead of comon sense.

abroadst

Really like the service and have already replaced Rhapsody and Pandora. I was shocked to see that the ability to exclude songs with explicit lyrics is missing - so my kids, 9 and 11 years old, can use it. I think I'll go to Apple Music or maybe back to Rhapsody/Napster. Very disappointed.

Jgieschen

I can't believe this. I just changed back to Spotify after many months with Apple Music and was driving home and let me 7 year old put on Guns and Roses, which he listens to happily on Apple Music. Then suddenly I am hearing Axl's potty mouth. 

Seriously. this is ridiculous. I don't want to switch back because I have an Android phone and the Apple Music App is horrible but my son listens to a lot of different kinds of music and I can just give him free reign with Spotify. Really frustrating. 

johncats

True - a better Apple but full of worms

sc00terG

Could the songs with explicit content be exchanged with the radio edit is a box is ticked?