Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Explicit Filter

Add a button that controls whether Explicit songs are played or not.  When it is off and you're listening to an album or playlist, the explicit songs are skipped. That way you can still listen to your favorite album or playlist when more impressionable members of the family (kids / parents) are around.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks!

It's great to hear music as the artist intended it to be heard, this means Spotify can sometimes include explicit content.

We recommend looking out for the EXPLICIT tag on any releases (E on the web player).
Note: Our explicit content tags are applied based on information we receive from rights-holders. This means we can’t guarantee all explicit content is marked as such. 

It's also now possible to use the Explicit content filter on mobile and tablet devices (more devices coming soon!). Right now, the setting is only for the individual account and device. If you do apply the setting on your phone, it doesn't filter explicit content for the same account on the desktop app. It also doesn’t apply if you use Spotify Connect to play to another device. For more information on this, check out this support article.

We'll keep you up-to-date if there's anything else to share!

Thanks
Comments
worriedparent

I recently switched over from Pandora which does have a way to filter explicit content. I switched over for the family plan.  My kids were very excited.  I assumed since it was called a family plan it would have a filter for explicit content.  Very disappointetd to find that it isn't available.  I am considering switching back.  This function is sorely needed.  

xeode
Where is it greyed out sorry? I've never seen the option in the first place.

xeode
Unsubscribed, Google Music is miles better as it turns out anyway!

dano3

Off to Google as well. Spotify, it's been fun. 

xeode
If they're not even going to acknowledge the request/need, and indeed have marked it as solved when it isn't, see you later.

Mattp17

Must have feature for a Family account, genuinely amazed it's not there when I've looked to updating my account for the house. Will have to look elsewhere.

mariahlily

YES PLEASE!  I like to listen on the computer at work and it gets uncomfortable when older customers are shopping around and explicit songs shuffle on...

Bluemanta

Hi All,

Spotify seems to ignore this thread or not responding at all. 

if you haven't already, please join us at Make Spotify Child-safe on facebook. Help us grow the page by posting your comments on the community Facebook page as well as like it and share it on your facebook.

We want to reach as many people around the world and put some real pressure on Spotify.

Hope to see you all at https://www.facebook.com/MakeSpotifyChildSafe/

leswong

+1 Been waiting for a bypass "explicit lyric" songs for awhile. 

miasis1213

This is a major frustration of mine. I find myself going to Google Music instead because you can do it with thier service. I would just love to filter out the explicit songs because it doesn't make me feel good. Maybe I'll just switch over to Google.