Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Spotify Lite Version

Please can you do a second simpler, less memory-hogging and bandwidth-hogging version of Spotify? i.e., Spotify Lite (I don't have a fast computer and even optimised I have big lag problems with other programs whilst Spotify is running.)

Updated on 2019-07-09

Hey folks,

We just wanted to give you a heads up that a lite version of the Spotify app has been released on Android. 

You can check out more information about the app and its availability here.

Thanks for adding your vote to this idea!

Comments
awebbo

100% behind this idea. I woul pay a little bit more to have the less of all the social guff, discovery and all the bloat

loopb

Yes

MikeMalaika

Couldn't agree more - not the remotest interest in all th social app stuff - PLEASE just give me a simple player.

I want to listen to whole, long, pieces of classical music as well as some more varied and modern material.  I don't have a facebook page and hopefully never will.  I want to chose my music, not have some robot do it for me.  I don't care about the album cover - I can't listen to it!! And most of all, I want to be in control - I don't want the software to control me.

I suspect the problem is that the majority of spotify users are 12-24, short attention span, younger people and a life on facebook instead of in the real world.  Spotify therefore don't count some of us as valued customers - or even part of the their target market at all.

dromens

Yes! For the love of all that is good and holy yes.  Like a bad relationship, the further that I have gone into my relationship with Spotity, the more needy it has become.  We used to have great times, without the excess baggage slowing us down.  Predictably, as Spotify has attempted to become all things to all people, it has become a resource hog.

Part of the problem is the Spotify Helper process. Each function, be it the messaging system, discovery, the feed, each app, etc., runs as separate functioning processes, each running along the Spotify player itself.  The usage issue is that something in it's current programming causes a delay in the shutdown of each app when they aren't used. With each one used, it takes longer for the others to shut down.

All of those processes (over 20 when I happened to look) added up to more resource usage than anything else on my machine, including my girthy web browser.  At one point it was running over 600,000K and was using more power than anything on my machine.

While it's great to have apps and see what others are up to, 99% of the time, I just want to listen to music.  If I want to do anything else on my machine, it's becomeing difficult to even do that.

krikelin
EvilKnievel
Sadly, I am using Spotify more infrequently on my main PC, and have uninstalled it from my netbook, both because of the system resource issue. As much as I loved having music on the netbook, the portability and cheapness are the reason I got it, so I'm going to sacrifice Spotify before I get a beefier computer. I use my main PC for heavy-duty video editing and other tasks, and it still sits and grumbles for several minutes whenever I start Spotify. Yuck.
metorical

I've been a spotify premium subscriber for several years and absolutely love the service. Unfortunately the desktop application is becoming such a resource hog that I can't listen to music while programming (Visual Studio) or playing simple games. My computer is a reasonable spec (Macbook Air - Core 2 Duo 1.7Ghz w. 4GB RAM, running Windows 7 64-bit) so I'm quite surprised at this.

Obviously I can't tell why it's using so much memory/CPU time but I do know that older versions were a lot easier on my computer. Looking through the app I can see a thousand things I don't need which makes me think a lite version might be possible. I do realise that people will like different features but I'm talking about the core things that make it a streaming media player:

1. Search for tracks

2. Create playlists

3. Play music

Will we get a response at 100 Kudos or will the bar just be set higher again?  I read that it would be considerer at 40 before.

[Edit: Rich Text removed formatting]

RobDBob

Spotify uses ~400MB  on my developer machine at work. This memory is eats away performance that is meant to be used by visual studios (these are power hungry!). 

Looking for alternatives (lightweight spotify clients) if not found may expand search for a new service, less resource hungry.

RobDBob

For anyone interested, spotiamp

http://www.techspot.com/news/55086-spotiamp-is-the-lightweight-spotify-player-that-uses-winamps-ui.h...

Works well, guess going to stay for a wee while longer! =D

thinkinblinkin

I've been a spotify fan for years now and the recent updates have made it almost impossible to listen while I work because of the memory / resource issues.  Would LOVE a lite / stripped down version so that I can go back to having it on no matter what else I'm doing online or off.