Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Spotify Lite Version

Please can you do a second simpler, less memory-hogging and bandwidth-hogging version of Spotify? i.e., Spotify Lite (I don't have a fast computer and even optimised I have big lag problems with other programs whilst Spotify is running.)

Updated on 2019-07-09

Hey folks,

We just wanted to give you a heads up that a lite version of the Spotify app has been released on Android. 

You can check out more information about the app and its availability here.

Thanks for adding your vote to this idea!

Comments
AdyMiles
Have you upgraded to the new version of Spotify? There is less clutter now and less graphics. However, it takes a long time to start...
Mv826

The new spotify wastes more energy from what i have seen..

JiiHoo

Last update to spotify was terrible. Spotify is now TOO slow, heavy, too much useless options etc.and using too much recources with my 2-3 year old lenovo laptop..

EarlPurple

I don't care about you freeloaders complaining about ads..

My request was for premium users only to be able to play a downloaded playlist essentially without running "Spotify" at all. The only feature I did request was to be able to mark a song on your playlist for "skip".

Plus my idea was for android only (ok and iPhone or whatever but essentially a mobile app, as mobiles generally have lower resources than desktops and laptops).

I used winamp previously too. And dedicated mp3 players. Playlists are a very important feature for me. And the device keeping my place even when switched off / out of use.

Oh, and each device separate, of course.

Marco66

I usually open Spotify in my web browser (I use Chrome)

https://play.spotify.com

And that works for me as a light version, instead of opening the software

that in my 5 years old notebook consumes all the resources.

EarlPurple

It is called scalibility, it's a software technique that allows applications to work both in a small and large scale and ideally adapt as appropriate.

romeguarin

there's a spotiamb app, if not mentioned yet, that works like the late winamp but plays your spotify playlists. unfortunately its only available for premium account. and unfortunately, I think only one developer maintains the application.

Sheffield10

All I want Spotify for is to play music, I don't need all the other bells & whistles **bleep**e that's been added as all that seems to do is slow my aged laptop down. Actually, it's pretty unusable now and all I use it for is Spotify

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Not Right Now
Updated: 2015-10-20

Hey folks. We don't have plans to create two versions of the Desktop app in a "Light" and "Full" version, so we're marking this as 'Not Right Now'. Of course you can continue to leave your feedback here and we'll keep checking as the kudos grow. Thanks!

Marco

I've merged 2 similar ideas about a Spotify Lite version to have only 1 topic about this request, which makes it easier to update.

The kudos (100) have also been added to this idea here. 😉