Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Your Library] Increase maximum Songs allowed in Your Music

I feel like the maximum amount of songs allowed in one playlist, and subsequently in "Songs" playlist under the new "Collections" feature, should be more than 10,000.

Quite frankly it should be unlimited. 

We are paying for a service but limited on how many songs we are able to save? That is absurd to me.

I recently started saving all of my albums into "Collections" and got stuck at about 1/4 of the way through - 10,000 songs has been reached and I am no longer able to save any more albums.

PLEASE INCREASE MAX NUMBER OF SONGS IN COLLECTION FEATURE!!!

WHAT IS A COLLECTION IF YOU HAVE TO LIMIT YOUR TASTE???

Updated on 2020-05-26

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Idea Exchange.

We're excited to be marking this idea as implemented!
We've now removed the limit on saved items in Your Library, making it possible to save songs, and albums on Spotify to your heart's content.

As the app has changed quite a bit since this idea was submitted, please be aware that some functionality is now different. This change does not impact the limit on the number of songs in a playlist other than your Liked Songs.

For more info, check out this blog post.

Comments
rrudolphjr

I very rarely make playlists so the 1k limit is not so important to me although it could be to others. They have brought back the option of making playlists public or private which I do like. I was forced to make every album a playlist because of the library cap at Spotify. I hated making the playlists, and I hated calling an album a playlist. Now I don’t have to. I also hated dragging and dropping the playlists (“albums”) into alphabetical order...what a waste of time. 

Yes, you can shuffle your whole library. You can also choose to sort by genre in your library. If you don’t like how an album is tagged you can change the genre and all other metadata, too.

I am really happy with Google Play. We’ll see what happens in March when they make (hopefully even better) changes to the service but as it is right now I wouldn’t go back to Spotify if they got rid of the cap or increased it.

Dstj01
Thanks - your message is the first positive indicator for how to solve this Spotify cap. Can you please spell out exactly how you save whole albums so that you can play either the whole album in the correct order or tracks from it as part of random selections?

BlackAutumn
I've seen a lot of confusion too which I think I can help clarify.

The 10k limit is for your library and for sepparate playlists. By hitting the v at a song, it is added to your library, which means it is added to your songs, but also the artist is saved in artists and the album us saved in albums. This actually counts as 3 "songs" for the 10 k playlist.

Now, if you don't use the v and just add songs to playlists, you could make multiple playlists of 10k songs.

The download limit is a different topic for which people should find another threat.

I'm pretty sure that this is the way it works. Hope that helps!
tavasti

So you mean that saving 3333 songs from 3333 different artists would result library filled up? 😮

BlackAutumn
Yep, thats what they told me. Cool, isnt it 😄
rednblu

>> How can you play 31K tracks-- first by Album-- then by Shuffle?

Let's keep it simple, please.

Your situation:

* You plan to have 31K tracks in your music library.

* Half of the time, you want to play albums-- like you would in a player with a 6 CD tray.

* Half of the time, you want to shuffle over your whole music library.

* You are running the Spotify player 1.0.70.388 under Windows 10.

Working backward . . . .

Suppose the following.

* YourMusic is empty.

* You have a total of four 9K track playlists containing [Artists_A_to_D], [Artists_E_to_M], [Artists_N_to_Q], [Artists_R_to_Z] that reside in a "Playlist folder" called "All_31K".

Playing by Album, alternatives and examples.

* Treat album play as if you are using a 6 CD player-- what selected albums from your vastCollection do you want to hear together in one listening session?

* Copy your favorite 50 albums into a Spotify playlist called AlbumPlay-- 50 albums-- That would be 1000 tracks-- YourMusic is empty-- Just Save the whole playlist AlbumPlay so that you will use the YourMusic interface when you want to play tracks in AlbumOrder.

* If you want to play Beethoven in AlbumOrder, just go to your [Artists_A_to_D] and filter on Beethoven-- Then save All to a playlist-- You won't want more than 2000 tracks total for Beethoven, including all the Beethoven 10 second Fidelio Gesprochene tracks-- Sure, Save all of your BeethovenAlbumOrder playlist also-- So that leaves you with 7000 empty slots in YourMusic for "discovering" new music.

Making room in YourMusic for new discoveries.

* When you have saved enough "new discoveries" to have over 9000 tracks in YourMusic, you may want to cut your YourMusic tracks to playlists in your "All_31K" folder.

* Sort YourMusic on DateAdded-- Delete the oldest tracks, which will be the tracks that you want to play in AlbumOrder-- You already have these tracks in your AlbumOrder playlists.

* Then quickly decide which Artists in YourMusic you want to cut to your Alphabetical playlists.  Cut all the other Artists from YourMusic to Expansion_001, ...

* So now you have an Empty YourMusic again.

* Now save your AlbumOrder playlists again-- and go on Saving your new discoveries.

Shuffle play your whole music library.

* Initialize your Spotify shuffle on any 9K playlist-- Start playing any track in the 9K playlist-- Toggle the shuffle off and on by slow Ctrl-S toggling while you are watching your Play queue to make sure that the SpotifyShuffle module is actually On and is actually shuffling your selected playlist and not loading your Play queue from some hidden injection of repeated advertisements-- The Spotify shuffle works quite well-- as long as you Initialize the shuffle by the above Ctrl-S Initialization whenever the shuffle is doing something that you don't want.

* After you have Initialized your shuffle, then just play your "All_31K" folder-- watch your Play queue-- but don't turn the shuffle Off-- If you turn the shuffle Off while you are playing a Folder, you will hit one of the many hidden "undocumented" features of the Spotify shuffle-- If your Spotify session freezes, just kill your Spotify session in the Windows 10 task manager, and restart your Spotify.

* If you want to turn your Spotify shuffle off-- gracefully-- first play some 9K track playlist-- Then turn the Spotify shuffle off-- and proceed gracefully.

(No mumbling please about how many "user programming fixes" you will have to do.)

Amen.

tavasti

I'm fine with playlists if there would be usable option to remove currently playing track from playlist. And usable means real simple, so that removal is possible with mobile phone when you are driving car.

Currently, I don't even know how to remove currently playing track from playlist? Is it so that you check what is name of the track, then browse it from playlist, and press delete?

5uperchango

only 10000 songs?! **bleep**!!

rednblu

>> What is the fastest way to delete the currentlyPlaying track from a 150K music library consisting of 100 playlists under a PlaylistFolder?

Bingo!

Ideally, you should not have to know what playlist contains the track that you want to delete, right?  You should just click ThumbsDown and the system should maintain enough robust and sturdy pointers to delete the unwanted track from wherever it was when you put it onto your Play queue.

My friends showed me a way that is acceptable to me.

But even then, deleting an unwanted track from a PlaylistFolder involves a two-step manual process for each track that you want to delete-- At least, you do not have to scan every one of your 100 playlists under the folder to find the location of the track that you want to delete.

tavasti

Am I blind, or does spotify web api miss all the functions for queuing some track? So that it is impossible to create own UI which would control spotify player, and choose what tracks to play?

If creating own UI would be possible, then this limitation could be hidden with own app keeping library in playlists.

https://beta.developer.spotify.com/documentation/web-api/reference/player/