Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Android Widget

Having a home screen widget for Android would be really nice. All other media players have one on Android so it'd be great to see that in Spotify too. It'd make things so much easier to just be able control to Spotify from your home screen instead of swiping down for the notification bar or opening the app. It's really simple functionality so please can you add it.

Updated on 2019-09-09

Hey folks, 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this idea in the Community.

We’re excited to let you know the Android Widget is back. To get listening, make sure you’re on the latest version of the app and Spotify will show in the widget menu on your device. The widget is now resizable too and some stability issues have been fixed. 

2019-09-09.jpg

We appreciate your passion for this feature and want to thank you all for your feedback!

Comments
fwolswijk

Nice Spotify. Ask your customers for their opinion and then do nothing with it. 

Solution:

1. Disable automatic updates in the play store
2. Delete Spotify

3. Download Spotify version 8.5.17.676 from APK download site.

4. Install APK and place the freakin' widget everyone wants back on your homescreen. 

My Widget only worked normal when i disabled notifications for Spotify.

majblackburn

Can you give us a reason it was removed? I literally just switched over my music subscription to Spotify and the widget disappears the same week.

qrty

hahahhaa

Spotify logic:

- We remove the widget

- People complain and tell them to bring it back

- Spotify considers it as a new idea

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

hello Tidal

r5bb-hocrw_zr

Is this normal with Spotify as company that there is absolutely no communication with their community on a controversial topic? Just close down support questions with canned responses and channel everything to this single thread. Then no further engagement with their customers?

Is it time to get out our pitch forks and tiki torches yet?

hendersj
Yep, this is completely normal. They have no interest in customer
engagement at all.
Jcred7

Let's all email the CEO, this is absurd nobody is listening even with 15k votes and countless pages. I'm cancelling my subscription today, they are ignoring us.

qrty

Which is the best Spotify alternative? Tidal? I'm leaving too

xiTzCriZx

Who thought that removing an OPTIONAL feature was a good idea? You don't like the widget? Then don't use it simple as that, don't remove it for all the people who use it on the daily, and saying the lock screen and notification widgets are the replacement? Have you ever actually used spotify yourself? Cause if you did then you'd know they don't work unless you're ALREADY playing music, with this update you have now made it more dangerous to start playing spotify music while driving as well. Apparently the decision makers at Spotify are completely incompent so now that I know the widget is permanently gone and not a mistake, instead of getting a year subscription to this I'm getting one for Tidal instead, atleast they actually add new features instead of removing old ones. I suggest everyone does the same and deletes their spotify app to show them they can't just do whatever they want with total disregard for their own community. Tidal also has some better features too (like a working widget). 

_1fypu-cdwum6

what the **bleep**. why would you take this feature away?

WTHelIsMyWidget

Just signed up for premium to state that the removal of this widget just ruined my wedding, and left my in law in the hospital. So thanks for that, but this is still **bleep**. You actually expect me to swipe all the way from the top of my screen to roughly three-quarters of the way down in order to skip songs? I have arthritis from my time in Vietnam, I'd like to see you do that in my condition.