Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Restore Cache Location Specification

I run on a machine with a small SSD for my OS and critical applications.

In previous versions of Spotify I have set my cache to my larger hard drive. Now this is no longer possible.

Now I am constantly having to manually clear my cache and am unable to specify where I want the files to be kept.

This needs to be restored.

Updated: 2015-07-08

Hey everyone, this feature is returning in the 1.0.9 Desktop update. That update is currently rolling out and should reach everyone quite soon.

Comments
LivingL
They do not care. And i do not really understand whats so hard to give as
back a functionality that was there before. This is now 6 month, 6 darn
month for this feature.
Apple im coming.

natefullermusic

Just a heads up that it would probably best for you guys to uninstall Spotify in the meantime and reinstall it to your secondary HDD (if possible). Don't continue to delete your cache manually as this wears down your SSD. Having Spotify constantly write to it plus you manually clearing it is worse than just having Spotify write to it, I believe. The best solution would probably be to have Spotify run off of an HDD (assuming it will choose a cache location also on that HDD) unless you're passionate about saving a few seconds to listen to music.

tecnogaming

Apple requiring me to Authorize my machine to play on Apple Music,....  for GODs sake,  why isn't there an alternative that is not INVASIVE like Apple Music nor with an incredible bad coded client like Spotify !

JayAudion
Have a look into google music.

You'll see it is much like spotify, maybe you'll like it, maybe you won't.

I almost switched, but right now I don't want the hassle of rebuilding my
playlists

dan_finlayson

I would subscribe to premium if they offered this basic feature.  I wont even use the free service without it.  I must be able to set the cache to a hard drive besides the boot drive to preserve performance.

drteknical

OK SPOTIFY, IT'S JULY 3rd!!!

Where the heck is an update restoring our ability to determine the location of our local cache?!?!

Your helpers say it's coming, but nothing shows up!  WHY?!  Why do you behave in such an unfriendly way to the people you owe your jobs and livihood to?!

macbeth1

Where is the update that restoring our ability to determine the location of our local cache??? We are still waiting for it ...

nick2quick

hello spotify!
i don't see why you would withhold this fix any longer. from an ethical engineering perspective, why are you purposefully chewing SSD's when you have the ability to trivally not? come on guys, dissapointed as a subscriber. 2 minute fix. 

tecnogaming

No updatges on this so I decided to stop messing with Spotify, I paid for Xbox Music and I couldn't be more happy, plus it's incorporated into Windows 8.1 and I'm loving the App.

The Music app does not eat all your SSD, it will only stream music and you can manually ask the app to download the albums you like to the location you like, so no need to re-stream afterwards, nice, clean and simple.

Way to go Spotify !  if it wasn't for your FATAL FLAW in your software I wouldn't had to investigate and I wouldn't found Xbox Music.

divibyzero

Choosing cache directory is back in 1.0.9

heres the download link

http://upgrade.spotify.com/upgrade/client/win32-x86/spotify_installer-1.0.9.133.gcedaee38-122.exe