Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Restore Cache Location Specification

I run on a machine with a small SSD for my OS and critical applications.

In previous versions of Spotify I have set my cache to my larger hard drive. Now this is no longer possible.

Now I am constantly having to manually clear my cache and am unable to specify where I want the files to be kept.

This needs to be restored.

Updated: 2015-07-08

Hey everyone, this feature is returning in the 1.0.9 Desktop update. That update is currently rolling out and should reach everyone quite soon.

Comments
dan_finlayson

When is 1.0.9 pushing out to Mac?

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Implemented
Updated: 2015-07-08

Hey everyone, this feature is returning in the 1.0.9 Desktop update. That update is currently rolling out and should reach everyone quite soon.

HenkkaArt

I've encountered a problem with the cache. I redirected the cache to D-drive from my system drive (SSD C-drive). However, Spotify still uses the Data folder in the user\AppData\Local\Spotify\Data location. And it also uses the redirected cache, although the Data folder in AppData is much larger, taking up over 2 GB in space while the redirected cache folder goes up to maximum of ~500 MB. Deleting the files doesn't change anything since once you hit play, the files and folders come back instantly and Spotify starts using the Data folder as before. It looks as if it Spotify uses two different locations to store the same data and as far as I know, the data is identical in most cases.

dogaozdemir

So, when you gonna fix this Spotify? I can help you if you dont have developer.

Arturo_Emillio

Meredith the issue is not solved.

You have the dummy option in settings but still the cache files are stored in the USER DATA directory in C:

I want to be able to move the cache files to whichever drive i see fit. 

THE BUG IS STILL THERE THE PROBLEM HAS NOT BEING SOLVED 6 MONTHS LATER. 

ithuriel

Please fix this! I can't believe that you can't fix a simple problem. And it's not even a new one...  It's very annoying that I set a different location for the cache and the program doesn't even care about it. My SSD doesn't have that much space so obviously I don't want to store my music on it.

stulleman

I still have the same problem. You can specify the storage folder, but not the big data folder. That's useless how it is now.

Or am I missing anything?

n8aktiv

I've changed the security-settings of this /data-folder.

Now only SYSTEM and me are allowed for writing.

Admins are not allowed to change anything.

No more new files in this folder and the offline-files are stored correctly in the Spotify-Cache folder 🙂

stulleman

Thanks for the answer.

Did you delete anything after that?

n8aktiv

@stulleman: Everything in the data-folder can be deleted.

In the meantime I discovered that the security-solution is also not perfect 😞

When I am following a new playlist, it is not possible to go offline with this afterwards (Message: Disk may be full).

If a playlist already exists in the following-list, it's no problem to download all the tracks for offline,

even with the security-restriction and the empty data-folder.