Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile] Screen always on Option

When the Spotify app is in focus keep the screen on and prevent it from locking. Just like in PowerAmp, this should be an optional setting.

It's really annoying to have to unlock the phone to skip tracks, or see the name of the current song or artist, especially when driving.

Updated on 2019-09-19

Hey folks!

Thanks for coming to the Idea Exchange. 

With the release of Car View, your screen will always remain on when driving - or when turning it on manually in the settings.

When you connect your phone to your car’s Bluetooth, car view automatically turns on. You see larger, driver-friendly icons in the Now Playing view, and you can quickly change what plays with Choose Music at the bottom of the screen.

For more info about listening to Spotify in the car, check out this article

Thanks!

Comments
hkok74

I have found a work around for android for this issue. It requires installing another app, but it works pretty neat.

For android this app is called "Stay Alive! Keep screen awake"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.synetics.stay.alive

k1ngsize92
meahtenoha

Hey @osornios we're taking a look at this idea now that it has over 100 kudos. However I have a question about this comment: "It's really annoying to have to unlock the phone to skip tracks, or see the name of the current song or artist, especially when driving."

On your phone you should be able to skip tracks and see the name of the song when the screen is locked. Is this not happening already on your phone?

hkok74

@meahtenoha the screen still goes dark. In some cases this means tapping the screen to wake it up or (worse) pushing the power button, which is sometimes on the back of the phone or hard to reach due to the phone holder 

@hkok74 is exactly right. I previously had an LG G3, which has the power button on the back. Whenever I would attach it to my dashboard, it was basically impossible to wake the phone back up if the screen went to sleep without taking it out of the mount. It's less of an issue now that I have a Nexus 6p, but it's still not something I want to be doing while I'm driving. Plus, while the lock screen controls *work*, they definitely aren't ideal, especially with the phone mounted in landscape, and the small text/limited functionality.

meahtenoha

Okay thank you for clarifying @user-removed and @hkok74, we'll pass this on to the teams for an update. 

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it
Updated: 2016-12-07

Hey @osornios and everyone that voted for this idea. We also like this idea so we're marking it as "Good Idea"--if we have any updates around keeping the play/pause/skip buttons always on the screen of your mobile device we'll post here first. Thanks!

osornios

Hey @meahtenoha @hkok74 @user-removed,

In my case, since Motorola uses their own lock screen thing, I need to wake it up first, like @hkok74 mentioned, to operate Spotify (or any other app).

Sangha

Yes, especially now with the cell phones eliminating the home button to place fingerprint scanner on the rear of smart phones.  Having to remove a cell phone from a dashboard mount to unlock the phone to operate Spotify could be deadly.

hkok74

@meahtenohathanks for the update. I can't wait for the app update to see what the coders came up with. 

Just wondering : will there be some sort of review? Would be a shame if something was implemented that didn't meet our expectation (and thus not used)