Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] Block / Hide / Blacklist Tracks or Artists

The Star feature should be complemented with a way to mark tracks as excluded. Those tracks would then be skipped even when included in the current playlist.
This way the enjoyment of a good album wouldn't be disrupted by tracks you don't like, while the album in its entirety can still be kept in the playlist.
The Anti-star can easily be implemented as a flipside to the regular star as they are mutually exclusive. Click the star once, the track becomes a favorite. Click again, the star icon changes to the anti-star and click a third time and either flag is gone.

A no-brainer to me.

Updated on 2020-05-13

Hey, 

Thanks for coming to the Community Idea Exchange.
We're marking this idea as 'Implemented'.

The option 'Don't play this artist' is now available on iOS and Android.

You can also find more info on hiding individual tracks from playlists or albums here.

If we have any information about this on other platforms in the future, we'll report back!

Comments
dank13
This thread was created over 2 years ago. It makes sense for spotify team not to show much interest on this feature back in 2014 because Spotify has gained music industries traction in 2014 (This is the very first year their revenue has increased tremendously) and they just can't let the user block an artist for the rest of their life. And no artist will be happy with this feature. Artists does create **bleep**ty songs more often but they do come with good/better songs at some point. But if a user has blocked such artists there is no way they can listen to the best of artists creation. And it will hinder their revenue model because artists will make their creation exclusive to Apple/Google/Amazon music.

This feature needs more restrospection. End of the day it should not hurt artisits and users feelings.

I don't agree with you at all... if i hate an artist to a point where i want to block him from my feed the chances that i'll ever want to listen to him ever in my life are pretty small... there are people with all kinds of taste for music, and i'm pretty sure justin freakin beiber won't be upset if i block him off my feed, i'm pretty sure there are 1000s of 12 year old girls that like him... 

if you have a free subscription yes i understand spotify not enabling this feature which is fair enough, but as a paid subscriber i should be in full control of what pays on my ears and what doesn't. Your argument has no grounds what so ever, i shouldn't be forced to listen to music i don't like when i'm paying dor it.

Artist shouldn't be worried about making money from people that don't like them anyway, if they have their fans it shouldn't be a problem for them being blocked... also if you ever change your mind about an artist you still can unblock him...

MadmanOnWheels

Blocking/HidingBlacklisting Aritst or Songs shouldn't go, to the Artists, anyway. The idea is, to show Spotify what you like and don't like and, to have control playlists, that you follow (e.g.-You like a playlist, but a certain song is not appropriate, for certain company, or you just don't like it.). The Artists aren't the ones picking songs, for radio stations, either. Do you really think, that Artists are looking, at how many thumbs downs they get, or have access, to it?

johnka

Let me make an analogy in order to show you how strange your reasons is.
Imagine that a TV network would force you watch all the TV shows in the
world that you really hate with the motivation that maybe, some time in the
future there will be an episode that is a little better which you do not
hate just as much (and they would not want you to miss out). Does that seem
reasonable to you? Or that you need to do it in order to not hurt the
creators' (or your own?!) feelings.

Also, I could care less what other music service the artists I do not want
to hear turn to when they can't pick my pocket anymore.

Retrospection complete.

To everyone else here who actually would appreciate the ability to choose
freely what music to avoid I have some potentially good news. I have
decided to check with Spotify if implementing a feature like this with their 
developer tools would be breaking any terms or conditions. If it doesn't I
am going to see if it is technically possible and give it a shot. My
annoyance with the lack of this functionality does not appear to go away
with time...
I am not sure how to keep interested people in this thread notified of the
progress though, so if you have an idea on how please let me know.

dank13

johnka, that's the best reply i've seen.... ehehehe here keep linstening to this S#!t just in case you change your mind...

i'd love to see what you can do with this dev-tools from spotify...

Amir-AA

come on.... just do it!!

we need this

erikagza

johnka, yeeees! I'm very interested! Loved the analogy, btw! 

dereth329
Yes, I'm very interested, too!!!!

I subscribed this topic, so I get emails everytime someone posts a
answer here.

I wish you best luck!
dave_coleman

would love to anti star a whole artist too. Ie: that annoying adele.

Oasis5

Yes please! This would be ace.

fréw63

Unbelievable that this is still not an option in 2016. I'm a long time Spotify user and this still annoys me terribly after all these years. I absolutely love the 'discover weekly' for example but every time it includes artists I absolutely don't want to hear (understatement) ...
Seems like the only option left is hoping that the Spotify competitors start exploiting this fundatmental weekness and Spotify will be forced to reconsider ...