Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Partnerships] Spotify on Apple Watch

Please create an app for the Apple watch that allows users to change songs and playlists from their watch. Perfect for working out and the busy commute.

Updated on 2018-11-13

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea.

We're pleased to confirm that you can now DJ from your wrist with Spotify on Apple Watch.

> Play, pause, and skip, both music and podcasts.
> Control the volume.
> Get info about what’s playing.
> Play from Recently Played.
> Save your favorites.
> Use Spotify Connect to play to another device.

To get Spotify on Apple Watch you’ll need an iPhone 5 or above, running iOS 10.0 and above, and an Apple Watch on watchOS 4.0 and above.

We have some more info on the Support site: https://support.spotify.com/listen_everywhere/smart_watches/apple-watch/
and the Newsroom:
https://newsroom.spotify.com/2018-11-13/spotify-for-apple-watch-helps-you-keep-time-with-the-music/.

Many thanks!

Top Answer
MattSuda
Spotify Star

Good news!

Spotify now supports downloads on Apple Watch. This will be rolling out over the next several weeks.

Check out this Spotify news article for more info:

Enjoy More Ways Than Ever to Use Spotify on Your Apple Watch—Now With Downloads 

Comments
gotdibbs

@jokarr Say what you will about Spotify's messaging and handling of this, but as a dev myself, I'd place sizeable wager on that being the crux of the issue. No point in releasing a feature as big as this and dealing with support of it, if it will only last for a few months.

Brennentx
Ok, if that's the official stance, I'm sure I won't be the only user of the 5500 here that starts looking at how to preserve my playlists when I cancel for Apple Music.

You guys are dropping the ball on this topic, and blatantly ignoring the customers request for this feature. For a company that has 500,000 monthly users, in a market that has several other comparable services, this behavior just isn't acceptable.

I love getting my stats at the end of the year, and my seasonal or best of yearly playlists.

Thanks,

Soon-to-be Former Subscriber
DuncBob

If it is Apple causing the issue then just tell us. If we knew Apple was the issue then at least we would know that you are still on the case. As it stands though it just comes across that you could give a **bleep** about a large proportion of your customers.

jokarr
Exactly!!!
alco1311

Couldn't agree more with bcmail. So Spotify, you have no comment about how customers listen to your product at all (via 3rd party apps / devices). You're just satisfied with taking the subscription money.  Really, is this an appropriate response form a reputable company in reply to queries from thousands of its customers ??? 

willston97

This is extremely important.  You even purchased an app which was developing an app for the watch so there seems to be little in the way of a Apple Watch app.  If there are issues with getting the app on the App Store becaue of Apple you should let the community know.  Apple Music just sucks in comparison to Spotify.

kladivo

Here's the thing: I like Spotify. I've been a customer for quite a while now.
But when do I ALWAYS listen to Spotify? At the gym!
And at the gym, I have a cool fitness tracker I like to wear (aka, Apple Watch).
Coincidentally, I have a phone that plays music.
Now how cool would it be if I could just use my Apple Watch to control the music? Instead of fumbling around with my phone between exercises or while on a cardio machine? Or on a run outside?

Apple Watch has been out for a while now, and honestly this is such a no-brainer of a business decision it's not even funny. Make an app for the Watch.
Quite frankly, unless one comes out soon I'm going to be taking a hard look at Apple Music.

PTNuno

Why are you taking so long for releasing the Apple Watch app? It is crucial for many users. I use spotify for running, and I am unable to use it on my Apple Watch!!

Inspiratieloos

So because of your lazyness the community decided to make their own spotify apple watch app, which you bought, to f*cking destroy the idea?? What the fack Spotify. This is the worst business decision a tech company has ever made the last 10 years

PTNuno

Exactly! This request has almost three years! And what Spotify did to solve it? They hired the person who was working on a great app that could solve our problems and blocked the chances we had...