Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Playlists] See which playlists a song has already been added to

Sometimes I think of or hear a song and I want to add it to a certain playlist but I’m not sure if it’s already in there, or I just want to know what playlists it’s in (e.g. I accidentally added the song to the wrong playlist and want to take it out, but wasn't sure which one I accidentally clicked/pressed on). It would be nice to to have a feature where you can check which playlists of yours a song has been added to. I know that you there’s a notification if it’s a duplicate, but it would be more convenient if the song is in multiple playlists to just see all of them at once rather than getting that notification one by one for all of them, if that make sense.

Edit: someone in the comments suggested having checkmarks next to the playlist names in the "Add to playlist" drop-down and that would be perfect!

Updated on 2024-02-09

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the support and feedback you've given to this idea!

We have some exciting news to share with you: you can now tap the green check mark icon Check Mark Icon.png of a song/episode to see which playlists it's been saved in! You also get quick access to all of your playlists in case you want to add the song/episode to (or remove it from) some of your other playlists:

The playlists the item's been saved in will also have a check mark.The playlists the item's been saved in will also have a check mark.

Thanks again for helping us make Spotify better. We're always striving to provide the best possible user experience and your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Comments
raylbrown

@glointhedark Chiming back in here with my own issues. To be super clear, I want to clarify that especially on mobile, I previously and still have the ability to click the green checkmarks to add songs to liked songs and to see what playlists the songs are added to. However, what was temporarily available was the feature where playlists where a song had already been added would be listed at the top. Now, I'm still able to click on the green check mark, but my playlists are organized in an irrelevant order. This means I have to manually search for a specific playlist to confirm whether a song has been added to it.

I've attached screen shots below. In image one, this is what I see when I click on the green check mark. Now I now that this specific song is in my EDM playlist. When I had the temporary feature, The EDM playlist would have been right there at the top with the green check mark. As you can see in image 2, when I search EDM, the playlist comes up with the green check mark to confirm it is in that playlist, but is completely useless if I'm trying to remember which playlists a song has been added to. Most of my playlists are in my 'New' folder. If I was to open that up, they would be organized irrelevantly, and I would have to scroll through to see if any playlist have a green checkmark.

@glointhedark Are you able to confirm that when you click on the green check mark, it shows added playlists up at the top? Or is it like mine where you would have to scroll or search specifically for the playlist you know it is already added to?

Ref 1Ref 1Ref 2Ref 2

Len38
I just checked and I am having this same problem now too. Before the
playlists would be at the top if they had the song in them but now they are
somewhere down the list in a folder I have to open to see if it’s in there.

I never understood this random ordering of playlists (I’m guessing they are
supposed to be recently used but that’s just not all that useful to me), it
also happen when I’m trying to add a new song to a playlist but the
playlists pop up in a random order instead of in the custom order or even
alphabetically would make more sense.
glointhedark

@raylbrown ahh, gotcha. Makes sense now, thanks. Yeah, mine do not appear with the playlists that contain the song at the top, that would be lovely to have back. So yes, to confirm, I do have to scroll to the playlists that I know specifically have the song.

glointhedark

@Len38 I agree. I don't understand the ordering either.

EQDj

An example that this feature doesn't work in my Iphone IOS v17.4.1

Image 1 - Displays song AMOR with a green check mark that tell me it is already saved in some playlist

Image 2 - Displays the context menu where I select Add to playlist

Image 3 - The playlists that already contain this song do not display at the top when they should all be listed at the top.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

shape5

This newly added feature isn’t working properly for me either on the Mac desktop app.  If the playlist icon is in a folder or subfolder, it’s hidden.  So without a marker next to the folder tree as well (each folder in the parent folder hierarchy), it’s useless.  More than 99% of my playlists are in folders, and I have hundreds of them – so this is extra useless for me, and I’ve been asking Spotify for this imperative feature for 10 years 😞

Also, when using the “Add to playlist" option from the 3-dot drop-down menu next to each song, it doesn’t show any green dots here, when it should show them in both menus.

EQDj: “The playlists that already contain this song do not display at the top when they should all be listed at the top.” – I notice this as well on the desktop app.  So there are multiple issues with this new feature, and there are probably more in the comments.