Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Please make the Spotify Android app functionally equivalent to the Spotify iOS app

A new version of the Spotify iOS app (0.4.23) has just been released, giving 320kbps streaming quality amongst other improvements. Can you please realease a new version of the Spotify Android app which is functionally equivalent to the iOS app? We need playlist folders (which iOS has had for some time) and 320kbps streaming. Or is Android always going to play second fiddle to iOS in Spotify's world?

Update 2012-04-16: Spotify iOS app (0.4.24) has now been release, and still no update for Android!

As many of you know, we released the new version of Spotify for Android to the Google Play Store yesterday complete with the following features:

• Top-to-bottom redesign
  • Support for Android 4.0
  • High Resolution Artist Images
  • 320kbps listening 
  • Crossfade
  • Gapless playback
  • Last.fm scrobbling
  • Playlist folders
  • Play queue
  • Home Screen Widget

As a result, my first inclination is to change the status of this idea to "not planned". Our logic is this: The wording of the idea suggests that in order for one version of the Spotify app to remain "functionally equivalent", Spotify would actually have to hold back the release of another version of the app.

However, I shy away from changing the status to "not planned" for fear that the status could be misinterpreted as an initiative on the part of Spotify to refrain from updating the Android app in the future, which is certainly not the plan.

I'm going to go ahead and and change the status of this idea to "implemented" in light of the recent release, but I would like to remind folks of the inherent nature of app development and circumstances which could arise which leads asymmetrical development of applications.

Happy listening 🙂 

Comments

And nothing to Windows Phone users...

hroyce47

For what its worth I would like to see more functionality out of the android application as well.  It there any way we can "light the fires" and spark more interest in this?  I know the spotify team monitors these forum postings fairly regularly.  If anyone here has a contact (ie friend that works for spotify) please let them know us android users are dying for an application update!

*EDIT*

Just downloaded the new beta version.  Job well done!  The UI feels easy to navigate.  Not to ask for more but would love to see radio/ app support for the installed desktop applications (sonkick, radio, moodagent, etc).  There are no lock screen controls for Galaxy s2 (sprint version) phones but I suspect that is a firmware area and not an application issue.

Great Work!

Dahl

Downloaded the new beta app to my Asus Tramsformer Pad, and it really seems nice, allthough im still having a "offline mode" issues. Anyone else? 

Also, can i be for real, that i can flip the screen? i can only have opright.

S10QaN

Don't forget Android!

iPad/iPhone is not a definition, it's a product!

It's fashion.. Great product, but overrated!

iPad is a tablet, but not the definition of a tablet! It's exactly the same as a Huwei tablet, or a Samsung tablet! The only difference is OS and different hardware!

Why do companies always forget Android, which is the most growing OS?

Android is bigger than iOS! iOS/Apple is fashion... This is not fashion industry! But companies think they earn more by marketing their iOS products!

You're giving Apple more advertisement than Android. Do you want to give Apple a monopoly and destroy Android (though this wouldn't happend as Android is bigger than iOS)? But still, it shouldn't be like this.

I love Spotify, but the apps need to be equal! As far as I know there is a iPad app for Spotify, but not a optimised Android tablet  app! I'm not a iOS user, because iOS is a more locked system. But in the app world it's the opposite.

When people ask for features in iPhone/iPad apps, know that we also want this in the Android app (phone and tablet version)! 

Rorey
Status changed to: Implemented

As many of you know, we released the new version of Spotify for Android to the Google Play Store yesterday complete with the following features:

• Top-to-bottom redesign
  • Support for Android 4.0
  • High Resolution Artist Images
  • 320kbps listening 
  • Crossfade
  • Gapless playback
  • Last.fm scrobbling
  • Playlist folders
  • Play queue
  • Home Screen Widget

As a result, my first inclination is to change the status of this idea to "not planned". Our logic is this: The wording of the idea suggests that in order for one version of the Spotify app to remain "functionally equivalent", Spotify would actually have to hold back the release of another version of the app.

However, I shy away from changing the status to "not planned" for fear that the status could be misinterpreted as an initiative on the part of Spotify to refrain from updating the Android app in the future, which is certainly not the plan.

I'm going to go ahead and and change the status of this idea to "implemented" in light of the recent release, but I would like to remind folks of the inherent nature of app development and circumstances which could arise which leads asymmetrical development of applications.

Happy listening 🙂 

SteveBrammer

Ironic that this was marked as "Implemented" only days before you once again resigned Android to its 2nd class citizenship status in the Spotify world. Equality was nice for the 2 weeks that it lasted 😉

http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/lifehacker/full/~3/Ax9ByxGR3v0/spotify-launches-pandora+style-internet-ra...

And nothing to Windows Phone... Thank you Spotify. 😞

SteveBrammer

Asymmetrical development of applications would be more acceptable if you also had asymmetrical pricing.

Irregardless of your development plans and problems, as long as iOS users continue to have a more feature rich experience from Spotify, I think users of other mobile platforms have the right to ask why we are all paying the same price?