Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Social] Block Followers

I believe there should be a way to block people that are following you on Spotify. When blocked, the user will automatically unfollow you and will not be able to find you, or view your public playlists.

Blocking should be possible via both username and email address.

Liam

Updated on 2021-11-16

Hi everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Ideas Exchange, and sharing your votes and comments.

We’re pleased to confirm that all users now have the option to block another user on Spotify. With this update, you can actively block another user across desktop and mobile devices, preventing them from being able to see listening activity, public playlists, or view profile pages.

Here’s how it works:

• When visiting another user’s profile, click on the   (...) button.
  • Select “Block” (or “Block User” on mobile) to block the user whose profile you are viewing.
  • This user will now be blocked and cannot access your page, public playlists or view your listening activity.
  • To unblock a user, click the Unblock option in the same menu.

We're always working hard to provide the best possible Spotify experience in a safe environment.

Please see here for more information.

Comments
jellyfishnomori

Please implement this idea. I have an abusive stalker who is following me and this option would greatly increase privacy. 

nat741

I'm quite honestly surprised and appalled that this idea was suggested over 3 years ago, accumulated over 5,000 votes, and Spotify still hasn't done anything. Like many other users that have commented in support of this idea, I too have an abusive stalker that is using my Spotify information to harass and terrorize me. Unfortunately, Spotify will not allow me to report this user, block him from following my playlists or even block him from following me in general.  I've made my playlists "secret," but that does not remove my stalker as a playlist follower. When contacting Spotify, my only options are to create a new account where none of my followers get transferred over...but they cannot provide me with the same promotional pricing I originally signed up with. Spotify, please give us the option to block profiles.

No one is listening. Just automated auto replies. Another faceless company getting away with bad practice. I suggest we start contacting bands management about issues such as this. There are a myriad of issues with Spotify. From the shoddy malfunctioning app to their abhorrent security issues and blind ignorance to their users concerns. Why would any band want you to give away your privacy rights to listen to their music through an app which constantly crashes and won't let you listen because "you are offline" with a full speed fibre connection, and to then ignore you for six years when you bring the issues to their attention in our thousands They'd soon take notice if bands start leaving! Petitioning major labels to stop releasing music on Spotify until they address their serious issues would be a great idea, not just good! 

ShockRock

It's a real shame that this issue isn't resolved. Already in 2012 i posted a complaint about this and got a lot of support from other users. Spotify closed it some year later because not enough people had supported the ticket on a yearly basis!?... This is an issue that users so obviously wanna get fixed and if Spotify was just a little bit concerned about their users they  should have fixed it on their own without user interaction.

Their solution... Make the playlist private! That is a really stupid solution when you're having problems with one or two followers. We now know that Spotify don't give a **bleep** about our privacy. Grow up Spotify do better. 

LA3131

Dear Spotify team, please implement this idea!  My ex-husband is ‘following’ the account used by me and our young son, and we have a restraining order / domestic violence order / AVO against him. We can’t even listen to music without him watching us.  It beggars belief that your software does not enable me to block him. 

jesssssssssss

this has been an issue ever since 2013,

it's 2019 now and still no action

are you guys seriously considering to fix this problem or just don't care?

hatladiee

I agree that this issue should be fast-tracked. I have someone who is following me and one of my playlists on Spotify, and this person is not someone who I would like to be associated with. I have cut ties with them in all aspects of my life, but have been unable to do so on Spotify. The lack of control I have regarding blocking this person makes me feel unsafe and uncomfortable. I think that Spotify should have the same policies regarding blocking other users that other social media platforms have. 

7gffcwf-_civj

PLEASE expedite this process. A dangerous person is following me and I am tempted to leave the service all-together. I have NO WAY to block him on spotify. I am sure there are others in the same position, be it with exes or psychopaths. Please, for the safety of your users! 

This really should be implemented ASAP.
There are plenty of reason to do so, some examples but not limited to: copy cats, spam, family issues, stalkers, and obviously the right to privacy.

Users can in all legal sense sue spotify for not allowing it's users the right to privacy.

Spotify should realy consider this to avoid future legal battles since internet privacy is a rising concern.