Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify for browsers

Andres (Employee) over 3 years ago:
"We have no plans to make a browser based version, we feel we can provide a much better product with an app and offer features which wouldn't be possible via a web browser."
Today, webapps are the most spread apps, as they work the same across devices (cross platform).
Three years ago, it would be difficult to build Spotify for browsers, because it would require APIs that you could not simply access from JavaScript. Today, with HTML5, APIs exists for:

Today, Google Chrome (the world's second largest browser) got all of these APIs and more (except WebRTC, but it's in the dev build, so it will soon be here too). Chrome even have it's own built-in appstore (Chrome Web Store) where users can install extension/apps, without having to restart their browser.

Another approach to get Spotify to the web is to use Native Client (NaCl) to compile C/C++ code for the web. An example is the game Bastion that was compiled with NaCl to run in Chrome.

This would be the easiest way for the Spotify developers, as they only had to tweak their code very little to make it compile with NaCl.

( Offtopic: I made a chrome extension for Spotify, which convert spotify links to links with mouseover info, for example image of the album, artist name, title of track, popularity. Get it HERE. Thank you :] )

Hello folks!

Now you can try our brand new web player at spotify.com

The web player will be a bonus if you can’t - or don’t want to - download our app. So whether you’re at the office, or round at a friend’s house, simply log in to your account and hit play. You can play the entire Spotify catalogue directly from any supported web browser. Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Internet Explorer are all included. The web player is available to all users, whether you’re Free, Unlimited or Premium.

Enjoy it!

Comments
Steephu

Adding tracks or albums as a new playlist or starred is very awkward in the browser version. It seems that the album has to be in play mode.  Also I am only able to add individual tracks and not entire albums. 

jdrambarean

How can I be added to the beta version of the HTML5 web implementation of spotify?? I'd love to provide feedback, however I can. Let me know if there's anything specific that I have to do.

Marco

@jdrambarean

Some weeks ago you had to click on a link to be able to use it. It seems that you got some cookies in your browser then, that lets you use it. That link is not working anymore though.

So I'm afraid you have to wait for the official release.

er43
I understand you other ppls need at work. I cant listen to music at work. But I need browser version for my home setup with spotify in denon receiver (also with airplay) that way I can use the full spotify around my house and listen in diff zones. Then i could use my ipad or iphone in my kitchen or my bedroom, and my receiver sends music from spotify to the selected speakers. Thats so nice. But the ios versions are sorry little verdions. I need the apps. They make spotify different from the others. But wont cArry a pc round the house ... You could drop all the versions and make 2 browserversions. A full functioning with apps and the works. And a small webplayer for ppl at work. Then all your other developers could work on full and mini version
araskin

When I go to play.spotify.com I am redirected to spotify.com . Is there a way I can be added to the beta so I can test on my BlackBerry 10 device?

havryliuk

This would be good if Spotify online could scrobble to last.fm. Thank you!

hans-jürgen

@araskin: Try this link, it installs the web player in a browser, maybe it also works on a Blackberry: http://www.spotifyweb.tk/

@havryliuk: The developers are aware that Last.fm scrobbling is a very popular request, see this thread in the Web Player forum: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Web-Player/Last-fm-Scrobbling/m-p/318890

xJustpulse

If I go to play.spotify.com they link me to the orignal Spotify website, why?

I'm premium member?

--

Nvm Fixed it

Rocio
Status changed to: Implemented

Hello folks!

Now you can try our brand new web player at spotify.com

The web player will be a bonus if you can’t - or don’t want to - download our app. So whether you’re at the office, or round at a friend’s house, simply log in to your account and hit play. You can play the entire Spotify catalogue directly from any supported web browser. Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Internet Explorer are all included. The web player is available to all users, whether you’re Free, Unlimited or Premium.

Enjoy it!

v3ntilator

I just registered for a trial on Google Music.

It fully loads everything on web player for Wii U, but requires Flash to get sound. 😞

Google Music is fully HTML5, but requires Flash for Music.

Google Chromecast was obviously supported.

I read that HTML5 is only temporarly disabled due to bugs for sound.

Wimp is supposed to be HTML5 only, but i heard its buggy on Android atleast.

The common thing for Spotify, Google and Wimp is that they all gets the same music. They basically have the same price monthly.

The graphical interface is almost the only thing that differs all music services.

I will keep using Spotify for awhile, but i lost interrest in Spotify when they ruined the graphical interface. Not much have happened with all the complains.

With lack of hardware support, and the new bad GUI... Spotify is far from as good as it was.

The #1 mistake is of course the main Spotify PC program which is now useless.