Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
bambich56
You are perfectly right. Why would anyone do something so minimal before doing the really important things. We do not understand Spotify. They seem to hav a special brain 😉
rafaelBauer

Is there any update on this?

When will I be able to stream music from apple watch without an iPhone nearby?

fedeözkan
This will never happen in the short time with Apple Watch, we have to assume that. See the link from last September, Garmin & Spotify got their common strategy to fight against Apple Music and Apple Watch, see the link:

https://support.spotify.com/us/listen_everywhere/smart_watches/garmin/

Spotify knows that is much better than Apple music as well as Garmin knows that they have better technology than Apple Watch for people who want specially use their watches to do excersice. Why they have to succumb to Apple if they know they are better in their fields and can get clients easier from Apple because of that. Apple is not always the best.

bambich56

Sorry. I do not agree. It is not about Apple, it is about us, the customers. We do want this feature. We do want to listen to Spotify offline on our Watch. And therefore: If Spotify is not listening to customers and not inererested in their requirements than they will loose more of them. As we can read in this thread.

saintscar

@fedeözkan

While it might be true from THEIR standpoint, i simply do not care. That is not a war to fight on MY back.

I am paying the same amount(!) for a sub, that garmin or whatever system paid users are paying (and yes, i even pay for it outside of apples app store, just to do Spotify a favor) - hence i expect the same features on my system. If that is not how Spotify sees it, the sub needs to be discounted accordingly.

And by the way: while i agree with you that Garmin has better functionality for purely fitness oriented folks, the simple truth is: The numbers of those customers having a Spotify sub can be completely ignored from a business standpoint compared to the number of Apple Watch users having a spotify sub, as they can not be even close. Just have a look at the smartwatch market share numbers.

And i am quite sure that Spotify makes more profit only from apple users subs, than all other systems combined. 

will2412

Why isn’t this already a thing? Didn’t realize this wasn’t an option until I went to set up my new watch. Pretty disappointed 

mlturner2a

The only thing 

mlturner2a

The ONLY thing keeping my family premium account with you is my wife’s stubbornness to change, but trust me, I’m wearing that down. You need to fix this deficiency if you wish not to lose every cellular watch user.

Get it done. Soon.

Vytazzz

Just cancel it everyone. Reason this topic link. We will see what happens then. I already canceled

krispy4

I wish I could cancel, and I actually tried. But Apple Music on my phone freezes, to the point that I'm actually surprised that Spotify, a third party app, performs much better on my phone than Apple Music, a first-party app.

My phone is a 6s.

Regardless, even if everyone on this thread cancelled, it wouldn't make much of a dent. Sure, this thread is one of the top most voted requests, but the number of votes represents only around 0.006% of Spotify's premium subscriber base. Spotify won't even notice.

So Spotify would make the changes on their own terms. I'm just surprised that they can be so petty. 

However, from Spotify including changes being made on other platforms (such as Apple TV, or integrating better with Siri), it looks like Spotify and Apple's relationship is getting better. It should only be a matter of time. Except if their partnership with Garmin also includes exclusivity for offline downloads and streaming, but I doubt Spotify would do that to themselves.