Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
Millenial29

Why has Spotify refused to develop and implement offline playback for Apple Watch? 

The first requests for it are over five years old, and the refusal of the organization to respond effectively to reasonable customer demands is asinine.  Third party solutions have sporadically popped up and the smart users were able to grab them before they shut down (and likely shut up...for THEIR needs had been met), but it is not right for a business to ignore a reasonable request like this and as new people begin to purchase new tech (like me, a new apple watch user), it is not reasonable for a simple issue like this to have been ignored for so long.    

Too much is too much, and I'm fed up with businesses ignoring their consumers like this.  I'm switching to Apple music, purchasing a family plan, transferring three siblings to it (all who currently pay for Spotify premium, but haven't consolidated into a family plan because I don't really want my siblings to have access to all of my playlists and didn't know how it worked), and I'm going to be preaching to all of my friends and contacts to dump spotify for apple music.  This is selfish, and childish, and as a long time subscriber to Spotify, I WILL NOT STAND to support a business that fails to respond to reasonable inquiries from subscribing customers.  I'm going to repost this to several forums.  If Spotify will not choose to listen to its customer base, then the only power the consumer has is to switch to a different provider.  I will not hesitate in exercising this power, because I WANT spotify to be reasonable and support apple watch offline playback so I can run and listen to music without dragging my phone along.  If enough people do the same, maybe they might listen.  

Sinamiandashti

**bleep** do something about this

saintscar

Guess it has quite a lot to do with the Samsung cooperation.

See, it adds a lot of value to the Galaxy Watch that is otherwise lacking 3rd party apps/additions, while giving it to the AW would make it even more attractive to all the folks using Spotify and definitely boost the AW sales by a good margin.

AdamCunningham

Can this be revisited now? It's been over 6 months since the last update and, as a new apple watch owner, I'm gutted I can't use Spotify while out running.

crazythug4eva

I'm not sure why Spotify won't make offline listening available on Apple Watch when obviously there is a serious demand. Spotify is kind of forcing AW users to leave the platform for other alternatives. I'm also considering switching to Apple Music..

acgoodall

no status update from spotify since 2019-09-18!

this is ridiculous and needs to be added asap.

May force me to Apple Music - ugh.

Sinamiandashti

considering switch to apple music 

wth spotify 😶

HiggsTheBoson

Just want to point out again so it doesn’t get lost. This answer from Spotify is hogwash. Adding offline playback is not a “new third party integration” since the app already exists. I find this is a very important point to make since their team is obviously not actually looking into the issue and just wanted to close a ticket that looked hard to deal with. 

BattleUnicorn

I am now using an Apple Music trial, and so far it is going well. I really enjoy being able to go for a run with just my watch and my Bluetooth headphones. Spotify needs to communicate a clear timeline for when users can expect this. Silence on this issue simply shows me that they think they are better than the competition and that they don't need this feature. Unfortunately, the competition is doing really well and this is turning into a gateway for users like me to try a competing platform, I had been very happy with Spotify until this issue. I even found a tool (https://www.tunemymusic.com/) that imported all of my playlists over to Apple Music so the transition was simple and quick.

I contacted to Spotify support last month and literally showed me middle finger. No timeline or promise when offline playlist and ability to pay through apple App Store. Such a stingy company and I will just use free version of Spotify or pay for Apple Music. 
Spotify added millions of people after during the pandemic.I think they can hire an Apple Watch developer and  afford to pay apple 30% for first payment and 15% ongoing for a customer that they got through apple platform. STINGY