Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
jake_palandri
Nope. Pretty pathetic
ctl904

Oooooold news. Spotify owes its loyal subscribers a timeline at the very least. I recently jumped ship to AM, and despite wanting to come back, I just can’t without the watch support. 

Johnminaya

Guys download “Watchify” problem solved!!!!!

Simbo1970

Losing track of how often this has been suggested when it is not the answer - people want Spotify on their cellular watch while their phone is absent. Watchify does not do this - I wish it did

linked_liszt

Spotify should raise some capital and then pursue antitrust action against Apple.

I'm deep in the Apple ecosystem and I like most of it, but in cases like this it's pretty clear they're abusing their power.

marcelmmz

Same thing here !!

We have a Spotify Family subscriptiuon and multiple Apple watches. Recently the Apple watch became the most sold watch in the entire world. I just can't get over it that there is still no freaking apple watch app even if some competitors have one.... like Deezer and Apple Music. Spotify even aquired the 3rd party app "spotty" or "snowy" (snowy.rocks) that looked really cool and wanted to bring spotify to apple watch but for a year now nothing... . Hence there are good alternatatives im trying apple music and might switch to it indefinitely. 

Spotify hasnt been profitable and will probably die in the next couple of years and probably too busy to build a watch app.

makka95

I see many people here blaming Spotify for not releasing an app for the Apple watch. To be honest I'm not enirely sure that it's their fault.

The process of realeasing an app in App Store is the following: 1: Build the app, 2: Submit the app to apple for testing/evaluation, 3: Apple will release the app on App Store if accepted.

If I were to guess, I would bet on that it's Apple who is halting/delaying the publication of Spotify's Apple Watch app. It makes alot of sense since it will greatly benefit their own Apple Music app and allows Apple to "steal" alot of customers from Spotfiy. Allthough I doubt we will ever find out if this theory is true since both companies have strong motivations for not letting this story out.

rjones123
The ios app developers at my company confirmed that Apple is to blame. The
API's do not allow streaming directly to the Apple Watch 3. Perhaps it is
Spotify's desire to get their public offering done without noise so they
are not engaging with groups like this. Shame on them and Apple.
mainca2

I don't ever see this happening for obvious reasons. Spotify is barely holding on people, the music streaming business sucks, the last one standing may eventually prevail but heavy weights like Apple/Google are not in it for the money. It's more of an afordable feature they use to make their service's platform attractive. Enjoy whatever streaming service you use now bacause this money losing business will need to shift to something 'other' eventually. That's why I still BUY CD's of the artists I enjoy and burn them at a quality bit rate I want. Still (I believe) you can uploaed your music to Google Play and access/listen to it via the cloud if you prefer, all freeee, but once that goes away no problem, I own it