Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
allenjwsc

I read somewhere today that the problem was with Apple. Though they allowed streaming, up until v7 of the watchOS, they wouldn't allow the FairPlay DRM to be used, so songs could be copied and saved. Of course Apple could use it, so Apple Music has been an option for streaming. Now they do allow it, so I'm guessing Spotify is working on it. It would be nice if they'd tell us that. Perhaps they aren't legally allowed to.

I think the article I read was is MacRumors or some such. Sorry I don't have the link. I just did a search.

Rockin713

I will be doing the same as some of the above users, switching to the 3 month Apple Music trial. It's so nice to run without my phone and be able to listen to music offline. I love Spotify for the social-ness, but I mean I can listen to all the same songs I need on Apple Music. If Spotify is working on it, it would be nice to hear about it. I can only hold out so long! 

Not cool, spotify.  I was shocked to learn that offline spotify listening was not supported on the new apple watch.  The main reason for purchasing an apple watch was to listen to spotify without having to carry my phone.  Seriously considering switching to apple music should this not get resolved soon and I am sure many others will do the same.  Do what needs to be done spotify 

rickytenberge

How can Spotify still not have offline music available for the Apple Watch? Starting my 4-months free trial with Apple Music today. If Spotify will not have offline music for Apple Watch available by then, I will (unfortunately) stop with Spotify.

yeimo01

switching to apple music..............................

tatli_ilayda

It's really a shame that there still is no solution to this.. Like, I am literally paying now for Apple Music only so I do not have to bring my phone with me everytime I do a workout. I would even like to pay an extra fee on top of my premium-abo, just so I could use Spotify (as I now have to pay for Apple Music anyways). ridiculous.

aaronlapat
Hey now!!! Spotify has just gifted me with watch streaming as a Beta. I will test out on a run tomorrow morning and will report back. Yes, download would be even better, but at this point, beggars can’t be choosers - this is a big step in the right direction!
janedoe4190

I just got the beta streaming functionality yesterday and was able to test it out on a quick run! It was a little glitchy getting it going but once I did it was good. It sorta froze up when someone called me and I dismissed the call but I picked a new song and it started up again. Then it got a little choppy, maybe I hit a spot with poor reception. I’m looking forward to testing it out more. I want offline downloads too but I’m pretty happy with this! I hope they’ll keep enhancing it to work out the kinks. It is beta after all. One upside to streaming over offline downloads is I didn’t have to wait for music to download to my watch before my run. 

mlturner2a
How do you get the beta?
aaronlapat
I have no idea? It just appeared, like manna from heaven!