Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Add support for Google ChromeCast

Will you be adding support to the ChromeCast that Google announced today? Would be great to be able to easily stream music from all my devices to my receiver and tv.

Please see the Api information here: https://developers.google.com/cast/

Update: implementing ChromeCast is superior to using the Chrome browser plugin to move a tab with the Spotify web interface to your TV for multiple reasons. Most importantly:

- You can stream higher fidelity

- You can stream from every device, not only from a computer/laptop

- You can control from multiple devices (so if I leave the room my wife can control Spotify with her phone)

If implemented correctly this would match the functionality of Sonos for a much lower price.

Update February 4th 2014: Okay, so Google has released the SDK now. Please start working on the functionality or at the very minimum give an update to the status...

Update February 19th 2014: 2,000 kudos, hundreds of replies (with more than a handful of cancelations). Apparently Spotify Germany has confirmed Chromecast support is coming. An update would be nice

Update March 24th 2014: 2,500 kudos and still no update. Cancelled my subscription today. Sorry, but if you don't listen to your paying customers we will have to speak with our wallets.

Updated: 2015-10-22

In collaboration with Google, we’re thrilled to announce one of your most requested features here in The Spotify Idea Exchange is here. Spotify now works with your Chromecast.

With Chromecast, listening at home is easy. Simply plug in and cast music directly from your phone or tablet. Play, skip, browse and search using the Spotify app--all Spotify users will get the on demand experience on Chromecast. Oh, and feel free to make calls, watch a video or play games - the music will keep playing. Even if your battery runs out.

To learn more about how you can listen at home, head over to www.spotify.com/at-home.

Spotify on Chromecast from SpotifyCares on Vimeo.

Comments
Ant5Marching

I'll be cancelling and moving over shortly due to this as well. Have loved Spotify from the begining, but this is short sighted and greedy.

miraj31415

It has been reported by the press that Spotify won't support Google Cast, instead exclusively working on Spotify Connect. Is that Spotify's official current position? If so, please update the Status to your official decision rather than keeping us hanging as "Under Consideration".

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/132331-spotify-won-t-support-google-cast-prefers-to-further-develop-...

Letsan

C'mon Spotify, this isn't the most voted idea on the forum just by chance.

You could perfectly support Spotify Connect and Chromecast support. Having to keep my phone awake for music kills my battery every time I use it with external speakers.

Kiiv

If this is your final answer I would say that I am really disappointed. How can you consider so many customers as you do ?

t0mg

Songza via Chromecast sounds better than the Spotify app being "casted" to the screen since the audio is resampled and has a hard low pass at 16KHz. I pay for sound quality, music selection and convenience. The lack of Chromecast support is a disservice to paying customers.

Pretty please and with sugar on top: add Chromecast support at least for the people that pay for a premium subscription for God's sake.

Thank you,

Tomás

neiltheworld

+1 for this idea. I'm unable to purchase premum though because Spotify have stupid geo location payment policies so hope it's not a Premium only feature.

People here don't read the posts, they think there might still be a chance this will be implemented.

Spotify will NOT implement Chromecast!

They should change the status today, from 'under consideration' to: 

No. Because we don't listen to our paying customers.

eymey

@Ronnoros: Why does keeping on posting here automatically mean that people don't read the posts? Please explain?

Even though (or better: BECAUSE) Spotify told the media that they prefer "connect" over casting, this should be even more reason for people to express their need for Chromecast here. 

Every extra kudo to this idea and every post will show even more how wrong Spotify is. 

Rorey

Our recent statement around Google Cast for audio should not be confused with our position on the Chromecast device. Our goal has always been to bring listeners the right music for every moment, making it easily accessible whenever and wherever they might be. This means that in order to keep improving Spotify, we're continuously exploring new and better ways of listening, which may include Chromecast as well as other platforms and devices.

daveman918

Rorey,

If your statement is true, then Spotify would be listening to it's users on this and other threads where people are clearly asking for a way (other than Sonos) to easily stream spotify to one or more devices simultaneously. We have these for airplay, chromecast and I've even seen comments on whole house audio capability using connect. None of these work wihtout a kludge... None! 

Kodak thought people still wanted film... we see how that turned out.