Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Popout player

I have seen this idea posted several times over the years and they are all marked closed. I personally find it really frustrating that people have clearly been asking for this and over and over been denied, especially because it seems like a rather simple feature. Anyway, on the web player on Chromebook, there is an excellent popout player that remains on top of other tabs and windows you open, has the album/song art and has simple controls like pause, play, skip, and rewind that show when you hover over it. You can also move it around your screen so you position it where is easiest for you. It's crazy to me that this feature hasn't been implemented already for the desktop application, or if it has then the fact that it's been removed. It's super annoying to have to stop what I'm in the middle of to open the Spotify window just to see what is playing, or to skip or save a song. Something with just the basics of these features would make a huge difference and make usability so much easier.

Updated on 2024-03-21

Hi everyone,

We're happy to let you all know that this feature has now been Implemented 😎 You can find all the details on the topic in this announcement post. You're welcome to post your thoughts and feedback there as well.

Cheers!

Comments
anonnano

Please make this happen - I really miss the desktop player! 

Brutalee

For those who'd like to try an alternative to rhiimoot, AudioBand is a great Spotify mini player in Windows Taskbar. Takes a bit effort but well worth it.

Screenshot 2021-04-13 200726.jpg

Philipp_Escher

In fact, the fullscreen mode in Spotify Desktop* already has all the UI elements to create a rudimentary but functional implementation of this feature. Just put the fullscreen UI into an (always on top) window, make it movable on the screen, change font and button sizes as well as the symbol in the top right corner and you're done. It could be that simple.

I would also recommend to make songs seekable in the pop-out window, but that would just be an extra.

*I am using the new UI on Windows 10, your mileage may vary

No Mini-Player is one big reason I am not renewing another streaming service.  Please do not let this also happen to Spotify!  Thanks!  

RedaIzo

A well crafted mini player for smaller screen, i have Spotify take at minimum 50% of my screen cannot get it smaller than that. Don't just do a simple ugly popup, craft something, you're the leader in the field. Make it a statement. 

fourtwo

“It would be cool to just have the square with the album cover then when you hover your mouse over it you have the option to pause, skip”

“The miniplayer should:

• Minimize the Spotify screen to a small size (like ~1 inch tall and ~3-4 inches wide
  • This miniplayer stays on top of other windows so you can always see it (like notifications)
  • Shows the song playing, the shuffle/loop/skip/play/pause controls
  • Shows the bar with the song length
  • Volume control”

you can have these things, check out lofi dot rocks (that is the site for it)

chtamina

is it me or audioband didn't get updated in years ?

ReverseTurtle

This actually doesn't work anymore. For some reason they changed this behavior recently. But, yay! They still have the "fullscreen" button which just displays a full screen album cover.  Completely worthless.

Jhumny

I could have sworn that the desktop app had a miniplayer before, but I could be losing my mind. If so, I like the false version my brain forged more than the current spotify.

j64

Came to this from an older suggestion. Basically just that the vertical height of the window is too large. There is no such limitation in Linux and the window can be shrunk down to where the player controls are the only thing in view. That's perfect. Literally all they have to do is remove the minimum vertical height restriction in Windows to hit 90% of what people are asking for. It's not always on top, but you can fit it into a small space at the bottom of the window.