Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Social] Block Followers

I believe there should be a way to block people that are following you on Spotify. When blocked, the user will automatically unfollow you and will not be able to find you, or view your public playlists.

Blocking should be possible via both username and email address.

Liam

Updated on 2021-11-16

Hi everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Ideas Exchange, and sharing your votes and comments.

We’re pleased to confirm that all users now have the option to block another user on Spotify. With this update, you can actively block another user across desktop and mobile devices, preventing them from being able to see listening activity, public playlists, or view profile pages.

Here’s how it works:

• When visiting another user’s profile, click on the   (...) button.
  • Select “Block” (or “Block User” on mobile) to block the user whose profile you are viewing.
  • This user will now be blocked and cannot access your page, public playlists or view your listening activity.
  • To unblock a user, click the Unblock option in the same menu.

We're always working hard to provide the best possible Spotify experience in a safe environment.

Please see here for more information.

Comments
Mysticjigsaw97

Once again I'm making a new account to try and dodge my ex who continues to stalk me and make playlists about me that are slanderous and untrue. Anytime I have a friend check out my stuff I have to hear the**bleep** all the time. "Why is your ex following your spotify?" I'd live to be able to stop talking about her and explaining why tf shes on there. Here what I was told guys.

"Thanks for that quick reply.

I appreciate you giving more context on what happened. I'm now in a better place to fully understand the situation. We will be able to help remove her from your account, but it's not possible now. There is no way for us to directly find out how one user finds another user in the app.

I can however share how it can be possible:

• Using Find Friends on the app's Friend Activity section. If a Spotify user's account is linked to Facebook, then they will be able to search all Facebook friends who also have Spotify accounts. If you have a mutual friend that follows you, then the other user can also check the mutual friend's following list.
  • Searching for a playlist you created.
  • Searching for your Spotify display name, or your Facebook display name (if the account is linked to Facebook).

I want to assure you that a Spotify account can never be found through the email address tied to the account. We take account security and account privacy very seriously.

I can see why seeing the same explanation over and over again may seem like nothing is happening in the background from our end. This is absolutely untrue, it may have already taken a long time but I can definitely confirm that things have always been moving forward, more quickly recently, if I may add on a happier note.

Please understand that I cannot share more about the status of the feature, though my advice is to wait just a bit more instead of moving everything to a new account. I can help with how you'll be able to quickly refollow all the 611 artists if you're already decided.

Let me know and I'll start by freeing up the email address tied to your account. I'll be here for our update.

All the best,"

This is unacceptable.  Spotify you need to do something right now.

mjrocker5

just add it already i don't understand how this has over 10k votes and nothing at all has been done

yuhhhhh

we need an option to block and remove followers

vollmoir

IM GONNA CRY PLS IMPLEMENT THIS

ninauyy

PLEASE Spotify, let us block other people. I can't think of any way for people to unfollow me other than deleting my whole account. Spotify has been around for a long time and there is still no "remove follower/block this account" feature. I've wanted to remove some people for a while now. Please get on this! 

csyl

It is saddening to read through the comments on this thread. This is an important safety feature that needs to be implemented into Spotify's product!

I have stalkers following me and blocking/removal needs to be available to us!

This is another method to gain the attention of the product team:

• Go to the Spotify support page and click through a category to "I still need help" button. After clicking that, it will prompt you to start a chat with a support rep.
  • I explained my situation and asked if they could remove the stalker from my followers. This was their response for me in the chat:

"We're sorry to hear this. Our product team is actively exploring options that would give users the ability to remove or block followers in the future. I will send your feedback to the right folks so they can keep working for this feature on any new update."

By escalating our issues to their support team (maybe if they get 100+ chats like this a week that they share), we could bring further attention to their product team for this important issue.

BellaTiner

Please make it possible to block or stop people from following you. A toxic and harmful person is still following me and ever since the design change they are right in my face when I go to my profile and it bothers me. I also do not want this person to view anything I am listening to.

camdoodlebop

it’s been almost a decade 

404DREAM

please please please implement this idea, it's already been YEARS since this idea was suggested. we need this for security reasons as well because it makes me very uncomfortable when someone i don't know has great knowledge about all the music artists i'm listening to which in turn gives them knowledge on what concerts/meet&greet i'm gonna attend in the future. please there are a lot of stalkers and sick people out there, music taste is actually a valuable information