Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Social] Block Followers

I believe there should be a way to block people that are following you on Spotify. When blocked, the user will automatically unfollow you and will not be able to find you, or view your public playlists.

Blocking should be possible via both username and email address.

Liam

Updated on 2021-11-16

Hi everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Ideas Exchange, and sharing your votes and comments.

We’re pleased to confirm that all users now have the option to block another user on Spotify. With this update, you can actively block another user across desktop and mobile devices, preventing them from being able to see listening activity, public playlists, or view profile pages.

Here’s how it works:

• When visiting another user’s profile, click on the   (...) button.
  • Select “Block” (or “Block User” on mobile) to block the user whose profile you are viewing.
  • This user will now be blocked and cannot access your page, public playlists or view your listening activity.
  • To unblock a user, click the Unblock option in the same menu.

We're always working hard to provide the best possible Spotify experience in a safe environment.

Please see here for more information.

Comments
Petya

- - This post was removed for violating the Community Terms and Conditions, specifically "Avoid posting in the wrong board". Any users posting the same content multiple times will have their posts removed. For more information please read here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Music-Chat/Reminder-Spotify-Community-Guidelines/td-p/4786834

spacedragon666

boo

freechampagne

Skyeblack

We out here at almost 10,000 likes... and the the change petition https://www.change.org/p/spotify-allow-users-to-block-followers almost at 20,000 signatures and we still have no word on this?

lolaintheblack

Did they remove the petition? I signed it too, I wanted to check how it's going and the petition was gone. Was it a temporal error or it's really gone?

rainbowsonions

The link was provided incorrectly. Petition is still open: https://www.change.org/p/spotify-allow-users-to-block-followers

00M

THIS IS RIDICULOUS. IT HAS BEEN 7 YEARS SINCE THE ORIGINAL POST AND 2 YEARS SINCE ANY UPDATE. SHAME ON YOU, SPOTIFY. FIX THIS IMMEDIATELY. 

DirtyMousey

This needs to be added into their "road map." I just realized there are people following me that I know who they are, but I am NOT their friend whatsoever. I'm just like why are you obsessively looking at my playlist??? Maybe they are maybe they're not but, still it's uncomfortable and creepy and for the sake of privacy and safety Spotify should step up their game and institute this feature.  I should be able to control who watches my actions even in a music app.

geekyvalkyrie

Someone who violated, abused, stalked, and terrorized me years ago still follows me. When I blocked them on every other social media, we both discovered they could torment and harass me here. I followed your anemic and gutless "block" procedure to keep them from messaging me. Fat lot of good that did me. They still follow my account and any playlist I'm foolish enough to make public, proudly displaying my lists on their public profile. Scrolling past their two (TWO!!) different accounts among my followers turns my blood to ice.  

The fact that protecting your users from online abuse still isn't "on your roadmap," especially after this many years, is utterly reprehensible. 

kyteroo

Spotify does not read anything post here. Instead, they have a person who moderates this and then disses everything posted in his way. No support. So, why then, don't I go to their competitor? I've not found one yet that has the music I listen too. 

@geekyvalkyrie How to Hide on Spotify: Start a new account but with a gmail address, and use a fake name. Use names for your playlist in a language that you are not known to know. Make a whole slew of playlists that have random songs in it from this new language. I would even have the first 13 songs, be in this new language!  Make it look good! If it looks like you, then he will find you. Have playlists that are only in this new language. And, I would not choose French or Japanese as the language (with the exception if you speak Japanese very well and he doesn't know it)! Hebrew or Russian are really good choices. Hebrew is rarely paid notice too. I have no one following me and I have several different languages on my playlist. But, I love music from all over the world. Finnish works too. Ruoska, Raaka-Aine are good groups to add. Poju is different. Elonkerjuu has some good songs. Teräsbetoni is another band. For Hebrew, I'd search for Miqedem, Omer Adam, Klezmatics, Paul Wilbur, Moshav, Itzik Dadya, Eyal Golan, Chaim Shlomo Mayesz or Moshe Peretz. Omer Adam has some really good dance music. Adding Bollywood might help too! Just type in bollywood and the results should be golden. 

I think that looking at some of the bands but then clicking on suggestions and going from there, would help you find bands not listed here that wouldn't be known. 

I would also see about if a restraining order can apply to Spotify as Spotify sucks for support! Only a Solicitor would know the answer to that. 

Best Wishes!