Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
Ambassa
Believe me: once you get used to run without the phone you'll love the feature. I always thought similar but I'm so happy that I don't need to take it anymore during my workout. And believe me: I hate switching to apple music as their service is not even close to spotify..... Let's see: I still have 5 month free apple music subscription. After that I'll decide to quit spotify or not...
PepTea
Hi! I would gladly run without my phone but unfortunately apple doesn't
support it's on the watch in the country where I am right now. So now I
still bring my phone in case of an emergency. Once LTE is supported here
then I'll probably have no choice but to switch to apple music. Until then
I'll be using Spotify.
drbeatz1986

Spotify again attacks Apple for its gatekeeper-like policies

You'll note that Spotify is attacking Apple's tactics. I could probably buSpotifypotify apple watch version. It definitly isnt them. It is Apple for the very reason that you read in the comments here "Spotify are really dropping the ball on this, Im going to Apple music". Can't get Spotify on Apple TV either. It 100%is not Spotify, it is Apple.

RandyM73

I'm sure you are correct. So what can Spotify do to change this? They wouldn't allow Amazon on the Apple TV for a long time, either, and got past that. But Amazon agreed to sell Apple products (again) on their site.

Perhaps they'll always bully Spotify, as they have no interest in making it available. It is pretty infuriating. 

I just wish they'd support an open platform, like they do on iOS. Not just Spotify. Pandora, iHeartRadio, SirusXM ... whatever the consumer wants. I don't like the inconsistency of how they handle the phones/iPads vs. the Watch. 

That said, the LTE watch is brand new, and Apple Music just became available via a software update about a month ago. So maybe there is a glimmer of hope.

hedrickb

https://bemighty.com

bemighty dot com - solved. . .

hedrickb

https://bemighty.com

bemighty dot com - solved. . .

Rahoulb

@PepTea wrote:

How do you do it? 

I too don't want to go through the hassle of moving to apple music. I always run with my phone anyways so all I need is to control the phone app through the watch so I don' have to grab my phone when I run. Will be getting the apple watch soon so this is really important. 

If you've got your phone with you, then you don't need to worry.  

On the watch you can use the "Now Playing" app (which you can set as a complication on some of the watch faces, so you can access it immediately) - and this gives you next/previous and volume controls.  In this case you need to start a playlist from your phone, then control it from your watch.  

There's also an app called Watchify - you can install this on your phone, then it installs itself onto your watch.  You can then start a playlist from your watch, it plays it on your phone and then you can control it from your watch.  

The issue I have is I would like to listen to music without my phone - I have an LTE watch so I don't need syncing, just streaming.  

Rahoulb

@drbeatz1986 wrote:

Spotify again attacks Apple for its gatekeeper-like policies

You'll note that Spotify is attacking Apple's tactics. I could probably buSpotifypotify apple watch version. It definitly isnt them. It is Apple for the very reason that you read in the comments here "Spotify are really dropping the ball on this, Im going to Apple music". Can't get Spotify on Apple TV either. It 100%is not Spotify, it is Apple.

That article is about Apple charging a 30% fee to collect in-app payments.  Arguably it's unfair (but it's still less than the markup a physical retailer charges to sell CDs). 

However, I see no reason for Spotify not to release a Watch App - syncing may be a problem, but streaming is not.  BUT - given the disaster that is the Spotify CarPlay app, I don't think they have the resources or the ability to do this.  

blackofe

i've bought apple watch LTE with the only thought to listen to spotify without my phone on me (i used to be a runner). and i just realized that there's no spotify application for AW. come on!

emoon

Please. Please release a Apple Watch Spotify App.